• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
    1. They've just started porting.
    2. The Phoronix news is false.
    3. As many news before.
    4. Eh, no. Many, many news before!
    Thanks! Michael should send you some moneys from the adverts...

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
      Thanks! Michael should send you some moneys from the adverts...
      Doubtful, the posts where about how Larabel was posting blatantly false rumors about Steam for years as well as stole this story from http://www.gamingonlinux.com/

Whenever Phoronix is brought up on any other forum its usually about how much Larabel/Phoronix sucks.
      Last edited by Kivada; 13 August 2013, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        Doubtful, the posts where about how Larabel was posting blatantly false rumors about Steam for years as well as stole this story from http://www.gamingonlinux.com/

Whenever Phoronix is brought up on any other forum its usually about how much Larabel/Phoronix sucks.
        Pretty much.... can you say sensationalism. I wonder if the DB-entry will get taken down after this fuss.

Comment

Nah, they are going to do the ports. but it's not a coincidence that Larabel posted his article just minutes after it hit GoL which posted it some 5 hours after I had saw it posted on the SteamDB.

As for the Steam on Linux debacle, Larabel was claiming that it would be out in 2007, claiming it would be out in July of 2009 while Valve itself said that they had no plans to do it in 2010 and in a later posting said that it didn't even get spit balled around the office till 2011.

It's like listening to republican politicians in the US complain that government doesn't work then go and defund it so much that it can't function then say "See! I told you government doesn't work!"

I'd rather the site be better then that, but Larabel has proven time and time again he'd rather click whore with sensasionalist headlines, pointless posts that tell us nothing new and wild speculation on ever subject, instead of be an actual journalist that creates content want to see.

Who here wouldn't like to see interviews with developers and artists working on or with Linux software, reviews of OSS and closed source software, hardware reviews that actually run more then the same tired old tests etc.

If you don't demand it Larabel has no incentive to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Metro: Last Light Horror FPS Game Is Out For Linux
            Is there any way to purchase and enjoy this without Steam? Or is the installation of that DRM layer absolutely mandated for this content?

Comment

I'd rather the site be better then that, but Larabel has proven time and time again he'd rather click whore with sensasionalist headlines, pointless posts that tell us nothing new and wild speculation on ever subject, instead of be an actual journalist that creates content want to see.

Who here wouldn't like to see interviews with developers and artists working on or with Linux software, reviews of OSS and closed source software, hardware reviews that actually run more then the same tired old tests etc.

If you don't demand it Larabel has no incentive to improve.
              I love this site, it's one of the best Linux centric sites out there. Larabel does dig deep on certain issues he's interested in like benchmarking and display managers. He's not perfect though.

Your criticisms have some merit. If you took the time to make your own in depth Linux coverage with interviews and reviews, it probably would be good, and I'd definitely read it. It takes almost zero effort to criticize. It takes much more effort to build a site up like this one.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
                Is there any way to purchase and enjoy this without Steam? Or is the installation of that DRM layer absolutely mandated for this content?
                If you want to play online, you probably can't escape steam.

For playing just the single player, buy the game, but not from steam, this goes for most games.

( but make sure, you do not need steam, some games are very bad drm wise )

Comment

He actually does a great job of writing click-bait articles that lead to butthurt whining in the forums. Who cares if they're accurate? Lack of accuracy hasn't put gawker sites out of business, why would it matter on Larabel's monetized blog?

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    He actually does a great job of writing click-bait articles that lead to butthurt whining in the forums. Who cares if they're accurate? Lack of accuracy hasn't put gawker sites out of business, why would it matter on Larabel's monetized blog?
                    Because there are a thousand other options to every Gawker site, while Phoronix is the only Linux review site. It's his job as the face of Linux reviewing to not make everyone else on Linux look like a fucktard.

So stop brown nosing for him and demand he improves or just give up the mantle and get someone else to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
                      I love this site, it's one of the best Linux centric sites out there. Larabel does dig deep on certain issues he's interested in like benchmarking and display managers. He's not perfect though.

Your criticisms have some merit. If you took the time to make your own in depth Linux coverage with interviews and reviews, it probably would be good, and I'd definitely read it. It takes almost zero effort to criticize. It takes much more effort to build a site up like this one.
                      I don't work for free, Larabel gets paid by advertisers for articles people actually read with Adblocking off. But he's not good at his job and instead goes for however many clicks per day he can get for the lowest possible effort.

I've stated severat times before, I would PAY for a good benchmark/software/hardware review/interview site, but Phoronix is not, so I instead browse with noscript, adblock and ghostery gutting the site's ads.

Comment

Working...
                      X