Metro: Last Light Horror FPS Game Is Out For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by godlike_panos View Post
    if that's true first of all its great news and I'll buy 10 just to thank them. the second thing is to know how the hell they ported their engine to opengl simply because it's very modern with quite new features
    OpenGL is on par if not more powerful than Direct3D in quite a few ways. Any AAA title or Engine with PS3 or Mac support is going to have an OpenGL render which is just as good looking and powerful as the Windows/Xbox D3D one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonimus View Post
      Something positive would be Mike bothering to spend 5 minutes to verify the crap he puts up before posting it. There is a long list of games that have the "Linux" checkbox ticked in Steam that don't have the requisite files or config to actually launch.

Now if Michael has posted something like "Metro Last Light" showing signs of linux support that would be one thing. Instead he posted an article that isn't even close to the truth and when Linux support is finished, if it ever is, he'll claim he just "scooped the story" before anyone else when instead he posted unverified tabloid quality drivel and called it news. Its not a scoop if its not yet true and you claim it is.
      OK I understand your point. Maybe I was out of line. If so, I apologize. Just seems harsh reactions. This is my favorite Linux news site and I have seen other linux sites/distros/etc come and go and would hate to see people ungrateful even if, yes, maybe he jumped the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by canezila View Post
        yes, maybe he jumped the gun.
        Not for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
          I still haven't beat the first one, but love that I'll be able to play the second one on Linux!
          Apparently (according to like minded friends), the second one isn't nearly as difficult as the first. It sounds like it's worth getting.

I did not like the first, I got pissed off scrambling for oxygen canisters etc. I don't have time for crap like that, with so many other games I'd rather play.

I still haven't used Steam on Linux (I don't like many distros, and would rather not have to have a "multilib" system) but I might some day when there are more titles ported. I'll buy Metro Last Light on Windows for this though (i.e. then I'll have it available on Steam for Linux). I wasn't going to bother (leftover prejudice from the first one), but if they are porting it to LInux it's the least I can do. A game (that I don't already have) that I actually want, even a little.

A few of my old favourites have 64 bit binaries, and certainly the open source games (I compile those anyway, even if it's just "because I can") so I still have a few things I play in 64 bit Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
            I own the game, it's listed in my linux games. I'm getting a missing executable message at the minute though, but yea it's under my linux games!
            Have you looked into if there maybe is a beta to test out? Right click on the game in your library, choose properties and then under the "beta" tab (if any) you may find a list of betas or earlier versions. Hopefully there is a linux beta there?

I had the same thing with Euro Truck Simulator 2.. once i bought the game it showed up under linux games, great, but got the "missing exec" error. But after chosing linux beta i can now play that game (works very well btw)

Comment

I actually don't care about the game, but if they release it, Ill buy it, just to show my appreciation for a Linux Port.

Comment

Originally posted by birdstream View Post
                Have you looked into if there maybe is a beta to test out? Right click on the game in your library, choose properties and then under the "beta" tab (if any) you may find a list of betas or earlier versions. Hopefully there is a linux beta there?

I had the same thing with Euro Truck Simulator 2.. once i bought the game it showed up under linux games, great, but got the "missing exec" error. But after chosing linux beta i can now play that game (works very well btw)
                no beta

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
                  Whoa! What brought this about? It wasn't exactly expected.
                  The death of the craptacular movie tie-in and "professional wrestling" publisher THQ.

Hopefully the sales are good enough we can get the original ported as well as the novel 2034 as Last Light isn't a direct sequel to the first book/game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonimus View Post
                    Something positive would be Mike bothering to spend 5 minutes to verify the crap he puts up before posting it. There is a long list of games that have the "Linux" checkbox ticked in Steam that don't have the requisite files or config to actually launch.

Now if Michael has posted something like "Metro Last Light" showing signs of linux support that would be one thing. Instead he posted an article that isn't even close to the truth and when Linux support is finished, if it ever is, he'll claim he just "scooped the story" before anyone else when instead he posted unverified tabloid quality drivel and called it news. Its not a scoop if its not yet true and you claim it is.
                    Yeah, I had seen this posted in the Steam forums some 5 hours before Larabel posted about it, while it would be a great game to add to the library, it still seems a bit out there and this is hopefully not a ploy to get over eager Linux gamers(read as SUCKERS) to buy a game they'll never get to play on Linux so that they can start making the money lost by THQ.

Comment

So, fake news?

Comment

Working...
                      X