No announcement yet.

Metro: Last Light Horror FPS Game Is Out For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the most technically advanced game on Linux?

My decision to use the Radeon driver up until now has been based on the fact that it can run anything I throw at it because there's nothing that would particularly push it on Linux. But this is a bit of a game changer.

What's the performance difference these days between Radeon and fglrx with particular reference to gaming (I'm on a 6870)?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Wow, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the most technically advanced game on Linux?
      I don't know Metro, but not sure if it would compare to Unigine in tech.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        I don't know Metro, but not sure if it would compare to Unigine in tech.
        Metro is more advanced than Unigine demos in my opinion and definitly better utilize GPU (lower CPU overhead than in Unigine demos). And the most important difference is fact that Unigine offer just benchmarks and Metro is real game.

Comment

Can't wait, but the one thing I do not understand, the number of people wining about Micheal.

On the steam forum, already one reported it appeared in his library.
          Not working yet, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
            Metro is more advanced than Unigine demos in my opinion and definitly better utilize GPU (lower CPU overhead than in Unigine demos). And the most important difference is fact that Unigine offer just benchmarks and Metro is real game.
            Oil Rush is a real game using the Unigine engine.

Comment

looks good. Would be the first linux fps to buy after Wolfenstein, for which I was hoping in vain for a later linux bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
                Can't wait, but the one thing I do not understand, the number of people wining about Micheal.

What's the point on having a game in your steam library that you can't play...

There is really nothing yet, not even an alpha o beta available, just a linux folder with some code appeared in the branch on the SteamDB and some fools are already saying is out. Hopefully there will not be too many suckers who buy the game just for this fake.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post

1. They've just started porting.
                  2. The Phoronix news is false.
                  3. As many news before.
                  4. Eh, no. Many, many news before!

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                    With all due respect to you and your web site(which is also my fav btw), I'd be more careful saying that. :P
                    Michael is known to surprise folks. Hes epic Steam prophecy came true many years later after first a few thousands of sour comments on forums...

With amount of info he gives, I believe it's no criminal offense.
                    Not quite, the history shows that Larabel is the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" on Steam for Linux, that he was eventually right, that there was a wolf doesn't save him.

This is taken from these posts on the Metro 2033:Last Light topic on the Steam boards:

Originally posted by kwahoo
                    Originally posted by Zyro
                    BTW, I did not find the "Portal 2 released" message you mentioned, could you please link it?
                    Valve's very popular Portal and Portal 2 interactive puzzle video games are now natively available on Linux!
                    Phoronix 2 May 2013

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, the latest installment to Valve's Counter-Strike franchise, is being tested on Linux and might soon be released to the general public.
                    Phoronix 10 April 2013

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!
                    Phoronix 12 May 2010

For some time, Gabe has been interested in the possibility of moving Steam and the Source game engine to Linux. At the time, the company was already using Linux by supporting Linux-based servers for Source-based games and also by maintaining several internal servers (running a 64-bit version of Ubuntu server) for various projects. In 2011, based on the success of those efforts and conversations in the hallway, we decided to take the next step and form a new team. At that time, the team only consisted of a few people whose main purpose was investigating the possibility of moving the Steam client and Left 4 Dead 2 over to Ubuntu.
                    Valve Linux Blog 16 July 2012

Originally posted by intok
                    Lets not forget this one from August 17th 2010
                    Last week, GamesIndustry.biz talked to Valve's director Business Development Jason Holtman and marketing VP Doug Lombar…

Q: Final question, and one I'm sure you're not super-keen to answer, but I promised one of our tech guys I'd ask it. What truth is there to rumours that you're also working on a Linux version of Steam?

Doug Lombardi: There's no Linux version that we're working on right now.
                    By this point Phoronix had already run an incredible amount of unbacked up pieces going all the way back to 2007, this is what I pulled up in just a 30 second search, Like I said, that he was right eventually doesn't justify all of this from a time when Valve hadn't even started working on it and had no plans to develop it UNTIL SEVERAL YEARS LATER.

Valve Porting Steam Games To Linux?
                    September 13, 2007
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Valve's Source Engine Coming To Linux
                    May 07, 2008
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Steam Client For Linux Confirmed: Linux Libraries Appear In Left 4 Dead Demo
                    November 28, 2008

Valve To Launch Native Linux Game In July?
                    June 18, 2009

Proof In Steam's Mac Client Of Linux Support
                    April 21, 2010

There Is No Doubt, Steam Is Coming To Linux!
                    April 22, 2010

Yes, More Steam & Source Engine Linux Details
                    Posted by Michael Larabel on April 26, 2010

Here's The First Screenshot Of The Linux Steam Client
                    May 01, 2010

Yeah, twice in one day...

Those Digging Into Steam On Linux Make More Progress
                    May 08, 2010

At This Rate, Don't Be Surprised If You See Steam Soon
                    May 08, 2010

Started injecting it into posts about other games...

Epic Games Provides No Hope For UT3 On Linux
                    May 17, 2010

Valve's Linux Play May Lead More Games To Follow Suit
                    May 25, 2010
                    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODI4NA
                    Last edited by Kivada; 13 August 2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

My decision to use the Radeon driver up until now has been based on the fact that it can run anything I throw at it because there's nothing that would particularly push it on Linux. But this is a bit of a game changer.

What's the performance difference these days between Radeon and fglrx with particular reference to gaming (I'm on a 6870)?
                      I wouldn't worry too much about that as the game will still run on OpenGL 3.* and since the devs have as of today said that they have just now started the port and expect it to take some months you have a chance that the Gallium3D drivers will improve quite a bit more by the time it's actually released.

Comment

Working...
                      X