No announcement yet.

Steam's Hardware Survey Shows Not Much For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SLI and overclocking are becoming increasingly pointless unless you do stuff like bitcoin mining or other high performance computing. For gaming it's more of an overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      SLI and overclocking are becoming increasingly pointless unless you do stuff like bitcoin mining or other high performance computing. For gaming it's more of an overkill.
      Only because tech is stagnated. The end game of gaming (heyo) is real time raytracing, which modern hardware is no where close to performing. To get there, we will need every technological advantage we can get.

The fact that parallel GPUs cooperating to render frames doesn't work yet is actually really pitiful. Though you can't blame anyone but AMD / Nvidia for both making proprietary drivers that stink and not providing open documentation or in Nvidias case any effort to make an open source version the rest of the community can pick up the slack on to make not suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        No support for CrossFire, SLI, Lucid
        No support for userspace core / multiplier overclocking
        No support for the standard benchmarking tools (SuperPi, Futuremark, Furmark, IOMeter, HDBurn, etc etc)
        Too many cobbled-on parts to track when updating official drivers (driver depends on X version of kernel and an older version of xserver which depends Z version of some other package which, more often than not, is totally not present in the repositories) unlike OS X and Windows; install 1 x driver EXE regardless of Windows version and that's it. Look at Haswell for Windows; just 1 driver package needed vs new kernel + new Mesa + new xserver needed just for full Linux Haswell support.
        ...and so on and so forth.
        SLI on Linux works. You can even configure many options for it to chose between rendering modes.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
          If you want to play, go nvidia. I'm sorry, their open efforts are great, but you'll regret going AMD (for gpu, for cpu it's a great pick). I know I did.
          Why give money to someone who is working against Linux and FLOSS? No, go AMD and/or Intel all the way.

Comment

All the way if you want to have horrible gaming experience.

Comment

That's true. Intel and Radeon open source drivers are great for Super Tux Kart. NVIDIA is helping Linux more than these two, by actually making gaming on Linux possible without having glitches and shitty performance. Ideology is great until you realize that when you want to play a game getting your GPU to work properly is the only thing that counts.
              Last edited by blackout23; 04 August 2013, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                SLI on Linux works. You can even configure many options for it to chose between rendering modes.
                https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...A#Enabling_SLI
                My bad, so it is supported.
                Also found out that Catalyst supports CrossFire.

But still, no support for Lucid yet (the technology that supposedly allows one to use both an AMD and an Nvidia card together).

Comment

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
                  You don't need to ask 100% of the users to get the full picture. That's how statistics work. You can actually prove (mathematically) that this is true. Of course there is always an error margin, but you will have that too, if you count anyone, because you cannot guarantee that you counted everyone correctly + those, who don't want to be count, etc. pp. (also who do you count and how active do they have to be?). So you just ask 1k - 3k persons (randomly) and get the same result.
                  i'm scared about this stochastical competence... especially the last sentence is shockingly wrong.

Comment

My X-Plane works perfectly thank you! Now only waiting to be able to use the FLOSS drivers. THEN the only instability I have with Linux is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      That's true. Intel and Radeon open source drivers are great for Super Tux Kart. NVIDIA is helping Linux more than these two, by actually making gaming on Linux possible without having glitches and shitty performance. Ideology is great until you realize that when you want to play a game getting your GPU to work properly is the only thing that counts.
                      Ideology and determination is the only things that bring the world forward. Without it we would not have Linux to start with.

Comment

Working...
                      X