Steam's Hardware Survey Shows Not Much For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
    Still, if open source is so great, then why are the open source AMD graphcis drivers still lagging behind the proprietary Nvidia graphics drivers?
    Because it has less developers and have been developed for a shorter periode...

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
      Thank you for your informative and helpful response. I assume I will not need to edit my xorg.conf file any longer either after installing any Linux distribution, correct? I am referring to this issue that I have every time I install a Linux distribution anew.
      You won't have to edit xorg.conf because it will be Wayland that will be talking to the hardware, so there will be no need to touch xorg at all (instead, you'll just have XWayland, which provides backwards compatibility for X applications, but it runs as an application-specific rootless X server over Wayland). Monitor handling is probably also going to be improved in Wayland, at least I've heard it should make multi-monitor setups easier to handle.

Comment

• Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
        EverQuest next mmo is meant to be a fully destructible voxel environment how wil they overcome network restraints ?
        So after a month the world will just be a hole in the ground? Any way aske them how they solved the network issue.

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
        How does GeoMod Technology (old redfaction games) or Havok physics/destruction work ?
        By carving holes and updating the bsp, it has a good chunk of limitations, but it is a bout the best you can do with the current tech.

Comment

• I'm skeptical that Wayland (or Mir) would be able to provide any significant performance improvement over DRI2 in X.

Not saying there aren't other advantages, however.

Comment

• Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
            So after a month the world will just be a hole in the ground?
            Obviously, with the plan to make every piece of the world fully destructible,the world will heal itself over x amount of time,or be replaced with user created content with there EverQuest Landmark (Landmark allows players to claim land then build whatever they want) thus not to render an area useless.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
              I'm skeptical that Wayland (or Mir) would be able to provide any significant performance improvement over DRI2 in X.

Not saying there aren't other advantages, however.
              oh noooo The Mir/Wayland war has found its way to this thread!

On a serious note, and it may end up being a lame question, but why deal in numbers that are not concrete? Steam has every member's info. Why cant it query their members profiles and have specific numbers regarding what platform they are using?

I am damn thankful for the work porting games over to Linux. Kidney stone operation kept me sidelined for a few weeks and I have been killing quite a few zombies from Killing Floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Carmack could not make ray tracing work well at 640x480 on modern hardware. UE4 does not have true ray tracing, it has voxel cone tracing at a limited resolution, far less than the screen's. If you read the voxel cone paper, it could barely do 30fps at 1024x768 on a high-end gpu.
                Tim Sweeney said that voxel cone tracing is used to calculate lighting only in UE4.

Comment

Working...
                X