Steam's Hardware Survey Shows Not Much For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Nope, you're living on outdated information. It's very playable in real-time on a GTX 680, as shown in the latest GDC. I assume the resolution was full HD.

Not really. Eye-candy physics, like ragdolls or physics-affected particles, is completely client-side.
    To some extend, but if you want to do per limb damange and crippeling damage you have to sync hit areas at the very least.

Comment

This time next year it will be year of GNU/Linux desktop (gaming).
      Ad infinitum.

Comment

Nope, you're living on outdated information. It's very playable in real-time on a GTX 680, as shown in the latest GDC. I assume the resolution was full HD.
        Carmack could not make ray tracing work well at 640x480 on modern hardware. UE4 does not have true ray tracing, it has voxel cone tracing at a limited resolution, far less than the screen's. If you read the voxel cone paper, it could barely do 30fps at 1024x768 on a high-end gpu.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
          To some extend, but if you want to do per limb damange and crippeling damage you have to sync hit areas at the very least.
          In those cases, yes. But there are plenty of other opportunities for using physics client-side.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            Once we get Wayland and proper EGL driver support from Nvidia+AMD, Linux will be many times better as a gaming platform. It will reduce the overhead, and improve performance considerably.
            Excuse my ignorance, but can you tell me more? When is Wayland actually coming? What will it do for gaming on Linux that cannot currently be done? What you say sounds a bit too good to be true for someone like me who isn't in the know. What's EGL driver support?

Comment

Originally posted by madrang View Post
              Managing dependencies would be the biggest problem but Steam is already working hard to make sure game developers don't have to.
              Does this mean it's better to buy a game on Steam rather than off GOG (when the latter does eventually support Linux)?

Comment

Open-source drivers are good for everyone involved. Remember that bit where Valve were overjoyed by the existence of them? That's because it's important for games to have access to drivers, so they could find out what the bottlenecks are; the manufacturers get more support from the community, so they don't have to update their code by themselves every time the dependency API changes, for instance; security holes can be patched much quicker; the drivers can use all the technology available in the kernel and in userland, even if it's created by other companies (for example, VDPAU and GLAMOR in radeon). The only issue with it is that usually companies come from a closed-source background and want to reuse their code, which due to licensing concerns prevents it from being open-source.
                I am admittedly ignorant, but I am also fully supportive of open source projects. Still, if open source is so great, then why are the open source AMD graphcis drivers still lagging behind the proprietary Nvidia graphics drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                  Excuse my ignorance, but can you tell me more? When is Wayland actually coming? What will it do for gaming on Linux that cannot currently be done? What you say sounds a bit too good to be true for someone like me who isn't in the know. What's EGL driver support?
                  I'll try to answer your questions the best I can, although I'm not a developer.

Wayland will come to KDE by next summer, to GNOME probably earlier, not sure about other desktops. It'll be on mobile earlier (the first Jolla phone will have Wayland).

What it will do is provide a display system where every frame is perfect, with no tearing or glitches ever, and better compositing. It solves many of the problems inherent in X. A good example is when you watch youtube videos and scroll the page at the same time. Go try it now if you haven't: the video is slightly out of sync with the browser scrolling. This is because X has no good way of keeping them in sync. This will be fixed in Wayland. Also things like resizing & moving windows will be much smoother on Wayland.

Wayland also gives much smaller overhead compared to X, native Wayland applications will run faster, and even X applications are likely to run faster under XWayland, because they don't have to worry about compositing which is done more efficiently by Wayland. Less overhead means faster and smoother gaming experience. Also fullscreen applications can practically write their frames directly to the hardware, since in the case of fullscreen, the Wayland compositor won't need to do any actual compositing.

EGL is a display API, similar to OpenGL, but designed mainly for purposes of windowing systems, OS interfaces and compositing. Wayland compositors will be using EGL for rendering, so we need drivers that support EGL to be able to use Wayland with hardware acceleration. The open source drivers already have EGL support, but Nvidia and AMD have yet to release EGL versions of their proprietary drivers. They most likely will as soon as Wayland starts being used in production systems.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                    I'll try to answer your questions the best I can, although I'm not a developer.

Wayland will come to KDE by next summer, to GNOME probably earlier, not sure about other desktops. It'll be on mobile earlier (the first Jolla phone will have Wayland).

What it will do is provide a display system where every frame is perfect, with no tearing or glitches ever, and better compositing. It solves many of the problems inherent in X. A good example is when you watch youtube videos and scroll the page at the same time. Go try it now if you haven't: the video is slightly out of sync with the browser scrolling. This is because X has no good way of keeping them in sync. This will be fixed in Wayland. Also things like resizing & moving windows will be much smoother on Wayland.

Wayland also gives much smaller overhead compared to X, native Wayland applications will run faster, and even X applications are likely to run faster under XWayland, because they don't have to worry about compositing which is done more efficiently by Wayland. Less overhead means faster and smoother gaming experience. Also fullscreen applications can practically write their frames directly to the hardware, since in the case of fullscreen, the Wayland compositor won't need to do any actual compositing.

EGL is a display API, similar to OpenGL, but designed mainly for purposes of windowing systems, OS interfaces and compositing. Wayland compositors will be using EGL for rendering, so we need drivers that support EGL to be able to use Wayland with hardware acceleration. The open source drivers already have EGL support, but Nvidia and AMD have yet to release EGL versions of their proprietary drivers. They most likely will as soon as Wayland starts being used in production systems.
                    Thank you for your informative and helpful response. I assume I will not need to edit my xorg.conf file any longer either after installing any Linux distribution, correct? I am referring to this issue that I have every time I install a Linux distribution anew.

Comment

• Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                      . The reason MMORPG have very simple physics is mostly due to network constraints.
                      EverQuest next mmo is meant to be a fully destructible voxel environment how wil they overcome network restraints ?

If you want a completely destructible world with internals, you need voxels, again this doesn't dictate what render you use. Animating voxel models is still in the early phase of development and current hardware isn't optimized for handling it on a large scale. With voxels you could also more accurately simulate physics in certain areas.

Both voxel and polygon rendering have there strengths and drawbacks (unless you take voxels to the atomic level). Blends of voxels and polygon meshes are also possible where destruction happens on a voxel level but is then transfered to the polygon model for visual representation.

How does GeoMod Technology (old redfaction games) or Havok physics/destruction work ?

Comment

Working...
                      X