Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watermint Game, Open-Source Engine Move Forward

Phoronix: Watermint Game, Open-Source Engine Move Forward

It's been a while since last talking about the Spearmint and Watermint game engines, but I'm pleased to report that activity on them is progressing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes Michael, we all know how much you despise FOSS games for not having multi-million dollar commercial game projects graphics...

Please, just stick to your Valve and Unigine bullshit, and leave the deficient foss games alone.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
      Yes Michael, we all know how much you despise FOSS games for not having multi-million dollar commercial game projects graphics...

Please, just stick to your Valve and Unigine bullshit, and leave the deficient foss games alone.
      Theres no reason they can't make good looking games. Just look at what Frictional was capable of with the Penumbra games a few years back. IIRC they where just 2 guys hammering out the game with pretty much no money.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        Theres no reason they can't make good looking games. Just look at what Frictional was capable of with the Penumbra games a few years back. IIRC they where just 2 guys hammering out the game with pretty much no money.
        Well, this. The problem is that open source folks keep doing politics instead of coding, or making art.

Comment

Which involved making it their full time job for a prolonged period. That's still significantly different from doing something solely in your spare time, especially without the aim of turning it into a profitable venture.

Though saying that, I think the main issue is that quite a few of these kinds of projects don't actually have any specific goal or idea in mind. It's hard to get behind a project that is simply "realistic fps". What kind of gameplay do you want? What's the visual style and why? Is there a coherent world or logic to everything? If so, what is it?

None of these projects specify that, so you end up with a whole load of nothing because there's nothing to work towards. That's probably why Xonotic, Unvanquished and a few others have so much more to show for it. They're actually able to say what they want and how they'll get there.

Comment

Originally posted by ModplanMan View Post
            Which involved making it their full time job for a prolonged period. That's still significantly different from doing something solely in your spare time, especially without the aim of turning it into a profitable venture.
            Theres no reason an OSS project can't be done for profit. Last I checked the GPL doesn't prevent it.

Comment

Theres no reason an OSS project can't be done for profit. Last I checked the GPL doesn't prevent it.
              I know. That wasn't my point.

Comment

Originally posted by ModplanMan View Post
                I know. That wasn't my point.
                Theres no reason they can't get an artist to make textures and models and just give them a cut of sales. The art assets don't have to be released publicly. Though it wouldn't hurt if they released the incidental models under a copyleft style license. You know, trees, generic models and buildings.

What surprises me most with OSS games is the lack of a sandbox like Gary's Mod to just let people do random dumb stuff in. Who doesn't want to pilot a rocket propelled bathtub with a watermelon launcher?

Comment

Well, there has to be some kind of reward. If you are coding for a company then your reward is your paycheck. Many of these guys arent getting a paycheck for the code they write. Say a project was able to raise a certain amount of funding, which they then were able to dole out in the form of competitions (to developers and artists) then I think the OSS model for game development would work much better.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Well, there has to be some kind of reward. If you are coding for a company then your reward is your paycheck. Many of these guys arent getting a paycheck for the code they write. Say a project was able to raise a certain amount of funding, which they then were able to dole out in the form of competitions (to developers and artists) then I think the OSS model for game development would work much better.
                    *cough* http://www.kickstarter.com/ *cough*
                    *cough* http://www.indiegogo.com/ *cough*

I think I'm coming down with a terrible chest cold...

This isn't rocket surgery guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X