ET: Quake Wars - ATI Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jron View Post
    Why not test the 2600XT? The cost is approximately the same as the Pro model. I doubt anyone would buy the Pro over the XT.
    It's all a matter of what cards we have access to.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      It's all a matter of what cards we have access to.
      Very understandable. =) I only asked because I am pricing a midrange ATI video card for a new Linux box and the 2600XT seems to be the best bang for the buck (assuming ATI keeps impressing with their new found Linux love).

Some good conclusions can be drawn from Tom's Hardware DX10 Shootout.

Thanks for the new details!

Comment

Am I the only one that sees the computer differences here? The ATI is a Dual quad core with 4 gig of ram and the nvidia is a dual core with 2 gig of ram.
        How can this possibly determine ATI has better performance? Why not just swap the cards and use the same computer to get a legit test?

Comment

Originally posted by Crane View Post
          Am I the only one that sees the computer differences here? The ATI is a Dual quad core with 4 gig of ram and the nvidia is a dual core with 2 gig of ram.
          How can this possibly determine ATI has better performance? Why not just swap the cards and use the same computer to get a legit test?
          Read the first page of this thread. There will be a fair performance comparison article in the future, as Michael stated.

Comment

No chance you guys have a 30" LCD to test at 2560x1600 for me?

Can you play Quake Wars for Linux on ranked (most) multiplayer servers? Ie, it comes with Punkbuster for Linux and this works OK?

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
              No chance you guys have a 30" LCD to test at 2560x1600 for me??
              Nope, unfortunately not at this time.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                Can you play Quake Wars for Linux on ranked (most) multiplayer servers? Ie, it comes with Punkbuster for Linux and this works OK?
                Yes to both questions.

Comment

I'm surprised how you guys managed to get the new driver to work out of the box... The forum is flooding with threads about issues of 8.42.3

Comment

Originally posted by Nognir View Post
                    I'm surprised how you guys managed to get the new driver to work out of the box... The forum is flooding with threads about issues of 8.42.3
                    I would guess, that about 90% of the "bad problems" are mainly related to some bad distribution specific setup. Most problem reports are from ubuntu users, they seem to do some things in a really strange way which does cause problems with this release.

In general I would personally recommend waiting the two or so days until the drivers are available in the distributions rep, then you are at least sure that the install/build part does work as expected.

Comment

X1950 Pro 512MB AGP

$fglrxinfo
                      display: :0.0 screen: 0
                      OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                      OpenGL renderer string: Radeon X1950 Series
                      OpenGL version string: 2.0.6958 Release

$glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"
                      direct rendering: Yes

Fresh Ubuntu 7.10 install

$glxgears
                      13198 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2639.412 FPS etc...

Problem:
                      glxgears,google earth show instead of 3D black window so no 3D for me ....
                      Later edit : videos black too...

So if this article is genuine how did Phonorix install and test x1950 Pro?
                      Last edited by Draku; 25 October 2007, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X