No announcement yet.

Leadwerks Engine Will Be Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and presently uses OpenGL 2.1 for graphics.
    However it looks like they will release with OpenGL 4 support. This is a quote from Josh Klint one of the developers (and owner):

the basic renderer uses OpenGL 2 and the high-end renderer uses OpenGL 4.

Comment

Originally posted by ObscureAngelPT View Post
      For linux to get attention now, they don't trully need open source.
      Being closed source but costumizable with mods is what is needed.

You all need to stop with stalmann theory's, this engine at least visually seems much better
      Google stopped "Stallman Theory". Now Android is FULL of malware. Closed source = SUCKS.

Comment

That is not related.
        Never saw a Closed source engine with malware.
        I expressed myself bad in that post.

I don't trully want to say that the engine has to be open source, but i wanted to say i don't care about that, many devs just don't want to give the code of their hard work, its normal.

I would do the same, but that won't stop me to support linux with love.
        Its just that

Comment

Some of you miss the point. Before you had to build your Game in Windows or Mac and then port it to Linux, now with Leadwerks you can do everything without leaving Linux. You all should be excited by this if you care anything about Gaming on Linux. Things absolutely NEEDING to be Open Source is exactly what was holding Linux back, fear of proprietary Software. This mentality needs to stop for Linux to advance.

In any case, this is great news and yes I did back it. This is why I love the Openness of Linux, people that hate 'paid' software can just go hide in some distro that's fully Open, while the rest of us who want to see Linux advance; can use something more Mainstream like Ubuntu or OpenSuse. I use Xubuntu myself, I don't 'hate' Unity, I've actually never tried it to hate it. I just like how customizable and out-of-my-way XFCE is.

Comment

The way I see it, the more choices Linux gamers and potential game developers have, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
              The way I see it, the more choices Linux gamers and potential game developers have, the better.
              < Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                Some of you miss the point. Before you had to build your Game in Windows or Mac and then port it to Linux, now with Leadwerks you can do everything without leaving Linux. You all should be excited by this if you care anything about Gaming on Linux. Things absolutely NEEDING to be Open Source is exactly what was holding Linux back, fear of proprietary Software. This mentality needs to stop for Linux to advance.

In any case, this is great news and yes I did back it. This is why I love the Openness of Linux, people that hate 'paid' software can just go hide in some distro that's fully Open, while the rest of us who want to see Linux advance; can use something more Mainstream like Ubuntu or OpenSuse. I use Xubuntu myself, I don't 'hate' Unity, I've actually never tried it to hate it. I just like how customizable and out-of-my-way XFCE is.
                Exactly the way i think.
                There will always have choices to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                  Things absolutely NEEDING to be Open Source is exactly what was holding Linux back, fear of proprietary Software. This mentality needs to stop for Linux to advance.

No disrespect, but look you can go back to Windows or Mac OS X.
                  Those are some really great systems.

I use Linux everyday. Linux doesn't need to advance. Linux don't need more of anything.
                  If you're not happy with the current state of Linux, then please use Windows or OS X instead, they're great systems and have all these games and proprietary software you want.

Why do you want Linux?

Windows and OS X are superior in many respects to Linux.
                  The one great thing about Linux is the openness.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    They should make it open source else it is not appealing.

We already have id Tech 4 (Doom 3 engine) and the Torque 3D engine (Tribes 2), as well as many other open source engines (many of which are improved derivatives of the Quake engines).

There already are many proprietary engines for Linux such as Unigine and Source.

So unless they open source their engine they can take their engine and take a hike!
                    Wrong, OSS game devs have yet to do anything remotely interesting with the engines they have had for years now, giving them more engines wont change this.

Open Source works for allot of things, just not games. Because you rarely get anything but rehashed FPSs.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      No disrespect, but look you can go back to Windows or Mac OS X.
                      Those are some really great systems.

I use Linux everyday. Linux doesn't need to advance. Linux don't need more of anything.
                      If you're not happy with the current state of Linux, then please use Windows or OS X instead, they're great systems and have all these games and proprietary software you want.

Why do you want Linux?

Windows and OS X are superior in many respects to Linux.
                      The one great thing about Linux is the openness.
                      No disrespect, but you should go back in time to 1991 and stay there or maybe you should switch OS and start using some conservative stuff like OpenBSD or something. Linux has always advanced and that is one of many reasons why it is so awesome to use Linux. Linux will always stay open and hopefully many of the things running on top of Linux will keep on being open. However, if someone wants to port some proprietary software to Linux, why complain? Don't use it if you do not like paying for it.

Who are you to tell people what OS they should run?

I have developed software for Linux since 1998 all my private coding is under Free BSD license because I like to share. I do not expect everybody to share.

Comment

Working...
                      X