Desura Acquired By Linden Lab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully it gets better.

I stopped using Windows a year or so ago. I was using Steam on there to play games but games was the only thing I used Windows for. When Steam for Linux came out I installed it right away. I can't say I'm impressed yet. It functions but like a gimped child in the special Olympics. It feels sluggish, half the time I click on something I'm left waiting for a response. Desura, on the other hand, works and responds. It needs better logic to tell you when you're missing dependencies but otherwise I've no issue with it. I find it works much better than Steam for me.

For now I guess I'll stick with buying directly from the developer or Humble Bundle.

Comment

Originally posted by migizi View Post
      I stopped using Windows a year or so ago. I was using Steam on there to play games but games was the only thing I used Windows for. When Steam for Linux came out I installed it right away. I can't say I'm impressed yet. It functions but like a gimped child in the special Olympics. It feels sluggish, half the time I click on something I'm left waiting for a response. Desura, on the other hand, works and responds. It needs better logic to tell you when you're missing dependencies but otherwise I've no issue with it. I find it works much better than Steam for me.

For now I guess I'll stick with buying directly from the developer or Humble Bundle.
      Actully Steam on GNU works a hell of a lot better than on windoze. Believe it or not, it's pretty responsive compared to the other one :-). I got no idea how Valve did it but they did. It's unbelievable that a company that can create things like the source engine can't write a decent web browser (cause that's what steam basically is - a web browser with 4 tabs and predefined url's).

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        Actully Steam on GNU works a hell of a lot better than on windoze. Believe it or not, it's pretty responsive compared to the other one :-). I got no idea how Valve did it but they did. It's unbelievable that a company that can create things like the source engine can't write a decent web browser (cause that's what steam basically is - a web browser with 4 tabs and predefined url's).
        but they did not. They are using CEF, which is chromium but embedded. More interessting is the handling of the game library, the gameoverlay and games installation, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          Actually, a large portion of their library runs on DOSBox, combined with games that already have ports you have a pretty decent selection.
          That already works, though, doesn't it? You might as well claim they already support linux, in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
            Even a wine wrapper would be a significant step, not sure about the legality though. Besides, some of their really old stuff works via Dosbox.
            No. I think that a wine wrapper will be a catastrophe for Desura, because quality of these games will be lower. You can't trust producers which want to use Wine to create and sell games for Linux. The reason is very simple, these producers they want to save money and sale junk for the same price or higher.

You should look at some games for Mac which use cider, Wine etc. Here is as a good example:

An informative video on the Max Payne 3 launch, cider confirmation, performance, multiplayer info and what to do if the game won't launch or freezes. STEAM U...

I really want to see Desura and Desurium for Mac OS X, because that will be a significiant step for these projects.

Comment

Working...
            X