No announcement yet.

Valve's Dota 2 Is Coming Soon To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am also waiting for CS: GO but DotA 2 is huge and should be their priority #1 right now. Also I think a lot of the work is the same, because both use the very newest version of the Source Engine.

Comment

And I say, yay!

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        HONs fault was that they not free2play right from the start. Most fans from this games are now playing LoL or DOTA.
        partly. As I understand it they made a loss with savage2 so they had to make some $$$ on HoN. f2p ran the risk of not actually making any money PLUS at the time of release LoL was just out and HoN didn't have any ingame store (would have delayed release even more).

Its still good and I play it daily and out of the 3 builds the linux build is the most stable (and has a 64bit client)

stillcan't wait for dota2, even if it is more of a farmfest + slowergame

Comment

Now that Dota2 Linux is on the table I might go back to Linux after my few years long romance with Windows 7 (It's a good OS!). Back in the day I used Gentoo as being thrown onto deep water is the fastest way to learn stuff, later I settled on Ubuntu but with Unity and other braindead projects I switch back to Windows after years with Linux exclusively. Recently I've set up a sweet Arch Linux desktop environment and both Steam and Source games do no longer run like shit although that might have been Ubuntu's fault when I tried them. One thing I still need is being able to record video and stream to Twitch as I've dabbled in this recently and enjoying the whole affair a lot. I know there are some convoluted ways to stream but they seem very basic with no option to create scenes from multiple inputs (game, webcam, overlay, multiple scenes). Is there any app that can do this on Linux now? I've googled and I haven't found a real solution yet. Here's an example of what I need.

Comment

Incidentally, i installed Steam in my son's Chromebook (Crouton) and the KDE desktop, it rocks! We use it for him to load Humble Bundle games. What a treat!

Comment

Fault?

Originally posted by Nille View Post
              HONs fault was that they not free2play right from the start. Most fans from this games are now playing LoL or DOTA.
              Its great commercial game.

It deserves money S2 asked for it. Frankly, if i knew then, what i know now, id pay 100 euros for it or even more.
              It has over 40k people at any given time, closer to 100k on peak hours.

With DoTa, I don't, i shall find out if it's worth playing it for free.

Non the less, ty Valve, i speak from many other Linux users.

Comment

I played HoN for several years, including just before it went out of beta. I wish people WOULD buy P2P games since it's a more sane money model and you don't get spammed with micro-transactional efforts (like buying skins or in-game currency such as their current gold coin system). It's fine to some extent I suppose.. LoL takes it to the next extreme and makes you unable to use all heroes unless you buy them or spend a seriously tremendous amount of time gaining the heroes (i.e. I played over 1500 games of LoL and STILL couldn't buy 3/4 of the LoL roster).

HoN's community also went to absolute crap the same day it went F2P. The leave rate went up and penalties had to increase. Secondary accounts also increased which makes the whole point of a reporting system void since people just make a second account. Unfortunately, this will also be possible in DotA 2... it also makes the games much more accessible to children which drive me absolutely NUTS in game, especially when they don't even comprehend the basics of the game and just act childishly.

Comment

awesome.

this may bring even more windows users over.

I also heard LoL is working on linux client, so lets see which comes out first.

And yes HoN is another great choice.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

HoN's community also went to absolute crap the same day it went F2P. The leave rate went up and penalties had to increase. Secondary accounts also increased which makes the whole point of a reporting system void since people just make a second account. Unfortunately, this will also be possible in DotA 2... it also makes the games much more accessible to children which drive me absolutely NUTS in game, especially when they don't even comprehend the basics of the game and just act childishly.
                    Well to me these games need a system in that if you don't pass a certain skill level / criteria , you can't enter "Ranked" Games.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                      I played HoN for several years, including just before it went out of beta. I wish people WOULD buy P2P games since it's a more sane money model and you don't get spammed with micro-transactional efforts (like buying skins or in-game currency such as their current gold coin system). It's fine to some extent I suppose.. LoL takes it to the next extreme and makes you unable to use all heroes unless you buy them or spend a seriously tremendous amount of time gaining the heroes (i.e. I played over 1500 games of LoL and STILL couldn't buy 3/4 of the LoL roster).

Dunno, had premium account.
                      Futher more, its no longer case, now micro transactions are only for skins and premium game not affecting content.

Comment

Working...
                      X