No announcement yet.

Valve's Dota 2 Is Coming Soon To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So yeah, I installed the test. It currently does nothing. It's literally missing the executable.

It sometimes makes me wonder the reason for making the entry and also makes me wonder how their distribution configuration works.

Comment

Actually looks intentional.

They are getting the datafiles out and equally populated the github bugtracker with KNOWN issues so we don't spam it with duplicates.
      The client will be going live once they are filled.

Comment

F**king awesome! Can't wait I won't have to boot windows to play Dota2

Comment

A ~280mb update just appeared. Maybe it'll run now? Let's see.

Comment

Remember with the test build you won't be able to play with your Windows friends, since the test channel is only compatible with other test build users.

Comment

It's live now. You may need to restart the Steam client.

Comment

DotA2 (10 chars)

Comment

Yeap. I just played a game online with other Linux users! Some seriously sore losers though D;

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                    Also, the DirectX folder... WTF is that /really/ what a gamehouse has todo to ensure it is compatible... every single directx build and subbuild from DX8 shipped as part of a source game...
                    and they say OGL is bad...
                    The Source engine is a DirectX engine. They are using a library called togl (search for it, every source game ships with libtogl.so) that translates DirectX to OpenGL on the fly, so the game itself thinks it's still talking to a DirectX device.
                    Actually Valve says OpenGL is great. I wouldn't wonder if the Source 2 engine will be OpenGL only.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                      I wouldn't wonder if the Source 2 engine will be OpenGL only.
                      This is very unlikely, Valve is notorious for using proprietary APIs... we're talking about gaming here so this is unlikely to change.

FOSS hatred, quand tu nous tiens...

Comment

Working...
                      X