Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealNC
    replied
    Of course Open Source has been very successful. But "it's just a matter of someone doing it" isn't really an argument. That's why I thought it was a sarcastic comment. You can't use something that doesn't exist yet as an example that supports your point.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Heh, if that was sarcasm, well done indeed, sir.
    Why would you think it sarcasm?

Open source projects are increasing:

Why people choose open source:

FOSS as a development method has proven itself already. It has proven that it is capable of producing equal or even better quality software than proprietary. Why game developers haven't embraced FOSS, remains a subject of speculation - perhaps too many game developers are stuck with old business models, or perhaps there aren't enough game developers who are familiar with FOSS (or vice versa) - it's however clear that the lack of FOSS game development isn't because of any inherent flaw in FOSS itself. Personally I think it's just a matter of time and the matter will correct itself eventually.

I could see a FOSS game engine working if enough game publishers invested some time and money to it - kind of like how businesses who make money from Linux invest time and money to the Linux kernel. The core game engine would be FOSS, and the companies would be free to release their games with proprietary game data and art assets, or use some other business model, everyone would win.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Why? There are many examples of FLOSS beating proprietary in every possible way. However, if you meant game business then it's a different thing and downsides lay in many levels, not just FLOSS.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by dee. View Post
    What do you mean "proves capable"? FOSS is capable of producing anything that proprietary companies are (and more). It's just a matter of someone doing it.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    The guys at RAD are pretty... rad. They're right over in Kirkland (next city over from Redmond) if I recall. We used many of their products rather extensively in our games.

So far as some of the previous comments... when FOSS actually proves capable of producing game middleware worth a damn, let me know. I'd rather have quality proprietary tools to make great games than Free tools to make mediocre games.
    What do you mean "proves capable"? FOSS is capable of producing anything that proprietary companies are (and more). It's just a matter of someone doing it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    The guys at RAD are pretty... rad. They're right over in Kirkland (next city over from Redmond) if I recall. We used many of their products rather extensively in our games.

So far as some of the previous comments... when FOSS actually proves capable of producing game middleware worth a damn, let me know. I'd rather have quality proprietary tools to make great games than Free tools to make mediocre games.
    It is in their decision to make it Open Source or proprietary. How many good games have you made in your life using proprietary tools?

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    This is good news

Linux debuggers are powerful, but not very user-friendly compared to what you get on other platforms. Anything to improve that is nice.

Leave a comment:

• elanthis
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cmr~
    replied
    I'm really excited about this. Existing Linux debuggers suck ass to use. I'd be perfectly happy paying for a good debugger front-end (I'd want it to be talking to gdb or lldb though).

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    I look forward to LLDB contributions.

Their proprietary software they can keep to themselves though.

Open source or fuck off!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X