Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X3: Albion Prelude Released For Linux Gamers

Phoronix: X3: Albion Prelude Released For Linux Gamers

One month after the release of X3: Terran Conflict for Linux, Egosoft has now released X3: Albion Prelude...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would love it if it was a proper space/trade game and not an space-themed aquarium simulator. I always find space-themed aquarium simulators hard to take serious.

Comment

Also

I thought about buying the bundle steam had of these games but then I started reading about the uber-extreme learning curve. For a guy that likes Space games like SPAZ, X3 is definitely not for me lol. But I appreciate their effort in porting it.

Comment

Steam only again? How annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Steam only again? How annoying.
          You should get used to it now, or you're going to be really pissed off over the next few years.

Comment

Why should I get used to it? I'm not going to use Steam until they drop their DRM for good. And why can't Egosoft use other distributors without DRM?

Comment

Why should I get used to it? I'm not going to use Steam until they drop their DRM for good. And why can't Egosoft use other distributors without DRM?
              X3 games inside Steam have no DRM. They let you play offline.

And as for why you should get used to it - well, because Steam is an easy way to distribute on linux it's going to be the way everything is done going forward. If you want to keep being disappointed at every new game on linux for the next few years, you're welcome to do so, but you aren't going to be very happy.

Comment

Steam client itself is DRM, thus I don't use it. It's not an "easy" way. Or let's phrase it differently - it could be an easy way, if not because of its DRM. For example you can't save the installer. Normal developers use DRM free channels (Humble Bundle, Desura and etc.). No need for some obtrusive Steam clients and etc.
                Last edited by shmerl; 17 May 2013, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Steam client itself is DRM, thus I don't use it.
                  So Steam with DRM turned off is still DRM? Isn't that like saying linux is DRM because it allows it to be run, even if you don't have it turned on?

For example you can't save the installer.
                  I'm trying to think why you'd even care. Can't you just copy the files after it's been installed? I don't think it does anything fancy.

Normal developers use DRM free channels (Humble Bundle, Desura and etc.).
                  LOL. I hate to break it to you, but "normal" developers are console only. Of the ones remaining, "normal" developers are windows only. Of the ones remaining, "normal" developers still don't support linux.

Of the ones that do, "normal" developers only used other channels like Desura because they were the only ones available. I wouldn't be surprised to see Humble Bundle start using Steam itself, as they already give away Steam keys. And most devs don't want to target multiple channels if they don't have to, so now that Steam is available most of them are going to switch to be Steam only.

No need for some obtrusive Steam clients and etc.
                  It's not obtrusive at all, but you're still missing the point. Need vs. want. Developers don't NEED Steam, they WANT it.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Can't you just copy the files after it's been installed? I don't think it does anything fancy.
                    You can do that with X3:R. If anyone can confirm the same about X3:TC and AP, I might buy them.

Originally posted by carewolf
                    Would love it if it was a proper space/trade game and not an space-themed aquarium simulator. I always find space-themed aquarium simulators hard to take serious.
                    I agree, but most of the X series is actually fun. In any case, I'm keeping my eye on Pioneer, as it seems to be the only "proper" space trade/combat game (and it's FOSS too).
                    Last edited by Xipeos; 17 May 2013, 08:57 PM. Reason: Linkified

Comment

Working...
                    X