X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    Originally posted by startzz View Post

By the way, question not for linux trolls - if you have already bought a game from steam for windows looong time ago, i.e. half life 2, so now to play it on linux, do you have to buy it again, or can you just install it and play ?

the latter - just install and play

Half-Life 2 works flawless with the opensource radeon drivers, btw (on an old 5850 on "mid" power profile)

command to run steam:

R600_DEBUG=sb,nohyperz R600_LLVM=0 STEAM_RUNTIME=1 /usr/bin/steam

without STEAM_RUNTIME=1 it (steam) wouldn't work anymore - always showing errors

Leave a comment:

• Calinou
    replied
    I posted it to prove, that linux gaming is very bad, because difference between these requirements is soo big
    No they aren't. If you use the official driver, performance is the same with a NVIDIA card. Of course on AMD and Intel it's going to be slower, but these are a minority for gaming, more or less.
    Also, it's your fault if you want to game on low end hardware.

that can only mean few things - even valve doesnt give a shit about linux and games for linux being released very deoptimized, or linux is like 10 times slower than windows, because these requirements arent min requirements for ubuntu, as i post ubuntu requirements from ubuntu site :
    700 MHz processor (about Intel Celeron or better)
    512 MiB RAM (system memory)
    5 GB of hard-drive space (or USB stick, memory card or external drive but see LiveCD for an alternative approach)
    VGA capable of 1024x768 screen resolution
    Well, that's Ubuntu. Xubuntu does much better at working on old hardware, and is pretty good for gaming once you've disabled compositing.

Leave a comment:

• startzz
    replied
    Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
    startzz is just being an M$ troll as usual.

The requirements are most likely just because of Ubuntu 12.04 being the minimum supported Linux OS and needing higher specs than say, Win XP which would run even on the 800 Mhz, 128MB RAM etc mentioned for the Win version of HL1.
    I dont see, how its worse than being stupid linux troll like you ... people here just trying to offend other people, thats all you trolls can do ... I just posted info from valve site for trolls like you - steam, but anyway, i dont think that you understand anything about hardware I posted it to prove, that linux gaming is very bad, because difference between these requirements is soo big, that can only mean few things - even valve doesnt give a shit about linux and games for linux being released very deoptimized, or linux is like 10 times slower than windows, because these requirements arent min requirements for ubuntu, as i post ubuntu requirements from ubuntu site :
    700 MHz processor (about Intel Celeron or better)
    512 MiB RAM (system memory)
    5 GB of hard-drive space (or USB stick, memory card or external drive but see LiveCD for an alternative approach)
    VGA capable of 1024x768 screen resolution

By the way, question not for linux trolls - if you have already bought a game from steam for windows looong time ago, i.e. half life 2, so now to play it on linux, do you have to buy it again, or can you just install it and play ?
    Last edited by startzz; 11 May 2013, 07:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Wildfire
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    AFAIK you need to own the games to get the beta access.. kind of stupid in a way but it is what it is.
    Just because the game is considered "beta" (i.e. not release quality) on Linux doesn't mean Valve will suddenly be handing it out for free. It's still the full version of the game, not a demo version and not a free-to-play title like TF2. If you really want to play the game, go buy a copy and show Valve they're on the right track.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
    Here's another one having serious issues on AMD hardware/drivers! I have an A10-5800K APU and all games running on the Source engine have major input (keyboard and mouse) lag. The same issue exists for L4D2. Just checked google and no surprise since L4D2 is running on the source engine!! Crazy. The only thing I can do is set the resolution AND quality super low. Games are playable like this but still seriously lag when in certain spots in the game (like in portal, looking at the door you exit at a level--weird!) I've tried EVERY bios and driver setting to no avail, and it's been like this since Catalyst 13.1. For now, I'm staying away from all Source engine games. (Trine2, SS3 BFE, and all non-source engine games I have run just fine.)
    Try "fps_max 61" command in Source-based games console (work everywhere except L4D2).

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    Originally posted by adrenochrome View Post
    it mean we have to purchase the windows version through steam and then we will be able to eable the linux beta ?
    AFAIK you need to own the games to get the beta access.. kind of stupid in a way but it is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• kringel
    replied
    Originally posted by adrenochrome View Post
    it mean we have to purchase the windows version through steam and then we will be able to eable the linux beta ?

1.) I just bought the game from the store within my Linux Steam client. 2.) After the purchase my library showed up with "Half-Life 2 (Beta)" *instantly* and I could start immediately with the installation. There's yet just no Linux icon on the store's page. That's all. You just have to buy it (Steam will recognize your Linux Steam client). You don't buy a Windows version, don't worry. :-)

Generally you just need to have a game in your library. Sometimes there are Betas which have to be manually activated. Therefore right-click on a title (switch to the list view), right-click >Properties... >Betas (this tab is not always available).

For HL? you can additionally select the SteamPipe Beta.

Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• adrenochrome
    replied
    Originally posted by TAXI View Post
    No need for your steam client to be in beta mode (that would give you the steam client as beta and hasn't anything to do with the games). If you own the game you'll just see it in your game library. Important part is you have to own the game (the normal Half-Life 2, there is no beta in the shop).

If you own the game (double-check at store.steampowered.com/app/220 - it should tell you if you already own it) but can't see it in your library: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Yeah just played through the first few levels with the oss radeon driver on a 6850 and it played flawlessly. no glitches or problems.

EDIT: can't figure out how to get the game to start on the second monitor so I havent tested on my 4200. rs880.
    Last edited by duby229; 10 May 2013, 07:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• V10lator
    replied
    Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
    That's interesting. Then how do you people manage to get beta games? I still don't see any "Beta" tab or whatever.
    No need for your steam client to be in beta mode (that would give you the steam client as beta and hasn't anything to do with the games). If you own the game you'll just see it in your game library. Important part is you have to own the game (the normal Half-Life 2, there is no beta in the shop).

If you own the game (double-check at store.steampowered.com/app/220 - it should tell you if you already own it) but can't see it in your library: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues

Leave a comment:

Working...
X