No announcement yet.

Half-Life 2 Games Released For Linux On Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would be great, I liked the Half Life 2 games. I have all of those in Steam in Windows.

Maybe someday I'll install a distro that can run the Steam client.

Actually I hope someone ports Black Mesa (it's a source engine mod that is a remake of Half Life). That's my favourite "Half Life" anything.

Black Mesa is a re-envisioning video game of the classic science fiction first person shooter, Half-Life.

Comment

I pulled in an update for steam and now it won't start. gotta troubleshoot. I think first step will be to start it on a terminal and see if any error messages are dumped out.

Comment

Source engine games LAAAAAG

Here's another one having serious issues on AMD hardware/drivers! I have an A10-5800K APU and all games running on the Source engine have major input (keyboard and mouse) lag. The same issue exists for L4D2. Just checked google and no surprise since L4D2 is running on the source engine!! Crazy. The only thing I can do is set the resolution AND quality super low. Games are playable like this but still seriously lag when in certain spots in the game (like in portal, looking at the door you exit at a level--weird!) I've tried EVERY bios and driver setting to no avail, and it's been like this since Catalyst 13.1. For now, I'm staying away from all Source engine games. (Trine2, SS3 BFE, and all non-source engine games I have run just fine.)

Comment

Okay, so I have read Phoronix since 2008 but hadn't registered ever.

Now I have a reason; to help you all out. So with our graphics card situation as it is, squeezing every drop of performance out of our drivers important.

http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=3731.0

It's basically using your gpu card(s) only for said game. Not much performance boost, but it'll help.

PS:Can someone confirm if it works under Ubuntu and Fedora?

Comment

Originally posted by blindfrog View Post
            This.

I have Radeon HD 4850 with latest mesa and everything works beautifully with max setting and MSAA 4x. Bravo indeed!
            Same here. Using ATI FirePro M7820 (basically same chip as 5870M) with fglrx on Ubuntu 13.04. Half Life 2, Portal and L4D2 all work fine, running on 1920x1200 and high details, except for (very) occasional stutters.

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
            The original Left 4 Dead is also missing.
            Don't get your hopes up. L4D is pretty much "deprecated" since L4D2 contains all of its content. So there's really no reason to port the old one.

Comment

I do not have enough time at the moment

Playing Portal, and reporting a bug, which is already solved.

I need to want to test LFD2 more, but now Half Life 2 is released.

Why are there only 24 hours in a day ?

Thank you Valve, and keep an eye on amd to improve their drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
                You need to right click on halflife 2 and then select the beta tab and opt-in there.
                Thanks for your reply, but I have a different problem (which I didn't have).

Soon as I installed this client, I enabled Beta Participation (that's how I got Portal).

But now, I see that I am opted out from Beta updates and I can't enable "Steam Beta Update" in the client. As soon as I click "OK", it goes back to None.

Anyone experienced the same problem? I've registered my account just before Beta started and applied for tester iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye
                  Here's another one having serious issues on AMD hardware/drivers! I have an A10-5800K APU and all games running on the Source engine have major input (keyboard and mouse) lag. The same issue exists for L4D2. Just checked google and no surprise since L4D2 is running on the source engine!! Crazy. The only thing I can do is set the resolution AND quality super low. Games are playable like this but still seriously lag when in certain spots in the game (like in portal, looking at the door you exit at a level--weird!) I've tried EVERY bios and driver setting to no avail, and it's been like this since Catalyst 13.1. For now, I'm staying away from all Source engine games. (Trine2, SS3 BFE, and all non-source engine games I have run just fine.)
                  Yeah many people have that input lag problem including me. Seems to only affect "older" (5xxx-6xxx (not 69xx)) GPUs and has nothing to do with Linux or Source Engine (also happens with Unigine Heaven OpenGL on Windows, so it's an OpenGL driver bug).

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                  Thanks for your reply, but I have a different problem (which I didn't have).

Soon as I installed this client, I enabled Beta Participation (that's how I got Portal).

But now, I see that I am opted out from Beta updates and I can't enable "Steam Beta Update" in the client. As soon as I click "OK", it goes back to None.

Anyone experienced the same problem? I've registered my account just before Beta started and applied for tester iirc.
                  There is no beta client at the moment.

Originally posted by Wildfire
                  Don't get your hopes up. L4D is pretty much "deprecated" since L4D2 contains all of its content. So there's really no reason to port the old one.
                  There is also no real reason to port Lost Coast or old HL1 mods etc., I think Valve will bring L4D1 sooner or later just for completeness' sake.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    There is no beta client at the moment.
                    That's interesting. Then how do you people manage to get beta games? I still don't see any "Beta" tab or whatever.

Comment

Just saw something "interesting" about hl 1 for linux -
                      Linux System Requirements
                      Minimum: Linux Ubuntu 12.04, Dual-core from Intel or AMD at 2.8 GHz, 1GB Memory, nVidia GeForce 8600/9600GT, ATI/AMD Radeaon HD2600/3600 (Graphic Drivers: nVidia 310, AMD 12.11), OpenGL 2.1, 4GB Hard Drive Space, OpenAL Compatible Sound Card

whereas for windows :
                      Recommended: 800 mhz processor, 128mb ram, 32mb+ video card, Windows XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Just imagine, if there would be any aaa game, linux would need like 16-core 8ghz cpu with 6x vga to compensate its software "performance"

Comment

Working...
                      X