Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half-Life 2 Games Released For Linux On Steam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Until I can figure out how to eliminate the mouse glitch and random stuttering in Portal, I won't be buying HL2. I personally don't think a 64 bit client is necessary, because probably about half the games on steam have no 64 bit binaries and never will. Steam as a client software has no use for extra registers - the most CPU intensive thing it does is the backup feature, which is generally held back by disk before it is by CPU.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
      WTF? AMD drivers and sailing smooth here so don't speak for everyone. I play L4D2 highest settings with only a bit of stutter in the initial start of a map (I assume things are still loading). I should note that I realize that's not much of a accomplishment.
      the driver is just slow, had no problems on windows with source games and euro truck simulator 2, but on linux... . Brutal legend has graphical corruption in the menu's.

      13.4 + HD 7750.

      Comment


      • #33
        Offtopic question

        Where do you find beta releases in Steam client? I am subscribed to beta and I've found Portal few days ago but don't remember where.

        Thanks in advance.

        Comment


        • #34
          Lucky Nvidia users

          Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          Unfortunately with the clusterfuck that are the video drivers on linux, I guess this won't be the year of linux either, nor the next one, or the next one, or....
          Played a lot of games and very happy with them.

          Comment


          • #35
            There you go bud.

            Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
            Offtopic question

            Where do you find beta releases in Steam client? I am subscribed to beta and I've found Portal few days ago but don't remember where.

            Thanks in advance.
            Steam -> Settings -> Beta Participation('Change' button)

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
              i see some problems with nvidia drivers, but we have other drivers to install not only 319. the people with ati/amd have a lot of problems but its normal
              Just tested it. Half-Life 2 works flawlessly here with amd hardware (HD 5750) and default (open source mesa) drivers from Ubuntu 13.04. With 1680x1050, all settings to max, I get a fairly consistent playable 60 fps (vsynced). Not a glitch, Bravo!, and fuck nvidia

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by dimko View Post
                Steam -> Settings -> Beta Participation('Change' button)
                Doh, and that's everything I *didn't* ask. I've already said that I've enabled Beta Participation and I have no idea where I can find Half Life Beta to download ... It doesn't appear anywhere in the store.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  Just tested it. Half-Life 2 works flawlessly here with amd hardware (HD 5750) and default (open source mesa) drivers from Ubuntu 13.04. With 1680x1050, all settings to max, I get a fairly consistent playable 60 fps (vsynced). Not a glitch, Bravo!, and fuck nvidia
                  This.

                  I have Radeon HD 4850 with latest mesa and everything works beautifully with max setting and MSAA 4x. Bravo indeed!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                    Doh, and that's everything I *didn't* ask. I've already said that I've enabled Beta Participation and I have no idea where I can find Half Life Beta to download ... It doesn't appear anywhere in the store.
                    You need to right click on halflife 2 and then select the beta tab and opt-in there.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      FOSS Drivers and Source Games

                      Yay, now I can play the entire Orange Box on GNU/Linux!

                      Also, I'm extremely impressed with the progress of FOSS driver performance, specifically the Radeon drivers. When I was on Ubuntu 12.10, HL2M wouldn't even achieve 30fps if I didn't turn everything down to minimum settings and run it in a 1024x768 window (and I have a 6970HD at that!). With the upgrade to 13.04 (which includes Mesa 9.1 and kernel 3.8.x), I can not only run HL2M at 1280x720 resolution and with decent settings (everything maxed out save for anti-aliasing and anisotropy) @ 60fps, but I can do the same with TF2. And with no graphical glitches! Granted, I still need to play them windowed, but it's a huge leap in performance that totally shattered my expectations; I almost forgot I was using r600g and Gallium3D!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X