Left 4 Dead 2 Beta Surfaces For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steam crash - flash

ok I know ... adding a plugin to .steam / bin / plugins did not help, but the installation of the 32-bit via sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin: i386
    * so

Comment

I bought this game when phoronix said it was coming to Linux... That was some wait but worth it.
      AMD 3Ghz 4 core, 8g ram
      AMD 7870 2gb all effects at max. 60 FPS (vsync) 1920 x 1080 ~150 without vsync.

Looks great and plays pretty well, it seems to stutter when loading (I guess random quarter second freezes) that goes away as you play.

Man I was waiting for this, thank you Valve.

Comment

Curious how everyone has just trilinear enabled. L4D2 doesn't do aniso, or it's just not noticable in that game?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Curious how everyone has just trilinear enabled. L4D2 doesn't do aniso, or it's just not noticable in that game?
          It does (up to 16x) and it sure is noticeable. The reson for this is probably that trilinear is the default setting.
          For me 16x is too much to get it running with a constant framerate >30fps and having a bit better visuals for loosing half of the fps is not an option ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
            It does (up to 16x) and it sure is noticeable. The reson for this is probably that trilinear is the default setting.
            For me 16x is too much to get it running with a constant framerate >30fps and having a bit better visuals for loosing half of the fps is not an option ;-)
            16x has been standard for about a decade now; its like the least intrusive graphical option out there. I really can't imagine its causing THAT much an impact...

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
              16x has been standard for about a decade now; its like the least intrusive graphical option out there. I really can't imagine its causing THAT much an impact...
              Oh yeah you're right. I was testing in "low" power mode :-) With "high" it's 60fps @ 16x aniso and even with 16x aniso and 8x msaa it's 60fps.

/edit:
              I usually tune down the visual effects and resolution and play in low power mode.
              I like my pc to stay silent and cool when I'm playing games.
              Especially in the summer time when there's already enough heat in my room
              Last edited by droste; 06 May 2013, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                If every texture lookup is up to 16x more expensive, it will hurt on lower-end cards with less texture units / slower VRAM. Like my 4350

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  If every texture lookup is up to 16x more expensive, it will hurt on lower-end cards with less texture units / slower VRAM. Like my 4350
                  But again, you can run 16x AF with no impact going back to the FX days...a decade or so ago.

Really, I've never once gamed on Linux, but if AF is causing performance problems, then you have some SERIOUS problems to take care of.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Yes, that's because Arch (and now Gentoo) install the Ubuntu Unity tray libraries when installing Steam. Which is ridiculous (and doesn't work correctly anyway; it takes ages for the menu to pop up.) Again: FDO has a standard for the systray. Use it, goddammit :-P

They did implement the spec. It's too bad that the only desktop to pick this up outside of KDE is Unity.

BTW, when not on a platform that handles the new spec (GNOME, XFCE, etc...), libappindicator will fall back to the old systray spec, so yes they are following the spec.

Comment

Why doesn't it work then? Off all the apps I ever ran and tried, Steam is the only one with a systray entry that, plainly put, sucks balls. Why is that?

Comment

Working...
                      X