Left 4 Dead 2 Beta Surfaces For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloading.

Btw, does someone know why Steam changes my mouse cursor to a black one, and an ugly "hand" cursor when hovering over links? It's as if it totally ignores my mouse cursor theme as set in my KDE settings. This bugs the hell out of me :-/

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Downloading.

Btw, does someone know why Steam changes my mouse cursor to a black one, and an ugly "hand" cursor when hovering over links? It's as if it totally ignores my mouse cursor theme as set in my KDE settings. This bugs the hell out of me :-/
      This was an old bug I had with steam, afaik it was fixed?
      Well you can check the second post here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...nux/issues/161

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Works for me (tm).
        It's using the same cursors as the other applications in KDE on my PC.
        Not that this is actually helping you, but it doesn't seem to be a general steam issue ;-)

Comment

Strange, I do not see Linux version ... moreover, as did with the portal .. I installed the demo and pulled the beta. What is with the L4D2 ? you need to buy a version of Windows to install and play the beta for Linux ?!?!
          By the way, gentlemen, a new beta version of steam on machines with the Nvidia graphics functions you correctly ? I noticed that when Steam is trying to show videos in a flash ... it is crashes [under the Radeon is all right] ?

Comment

Originally posted by ext73 View Post
            Strange, I do not see Linux version ... moreover, as did with the portal .. I installed the demo and pulled the beta. What is with the L4D2 ? you need to buy a version of Windows to install and play the beta for Linux ?!?!
            I'm pretty sure you have to own the game in order to play it (beta or not). It's visible here and I bought the game. Also there's no distinction between windows or linux version of the games. You just buy the game and not a specific OS version of it.

By the way, gentlemen, a new beta version of steam on machines with the Nvidia graphics functions you correctly ? I noticed that when Steam is trying to show videos in a flash ... it is crashes [under the Radeon is all right] ?
            Works fine with open source radeon driver.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
              Runs with constantly 60fps (vsync) and no visual glitches here in kwin without disabling compositing. Nice :-)

Driver: r600g (sb enabled) from git + drm-next kernel
              Hardware: radeon juniper (5770) + intel i5 (2.4Ghz)
              Ouh that sounds pretty good. What settings if I may ask?

Comment

Valve wanted more beta testers.
                So they gave beta access to everybody who owns the game,
                Beta does not mean free for all.
                With the exception of TF2 which is a free game.
                So you need to already to own the game.

It has not yet been released.

It installed and started without any problems for me.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                  This was an old bug I had with steam, afaik it was fixed?
                  Well you can check the second post here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...nux/issues/161
                  This only happens when launching Steam with STEAM_RUNTIME=1. It was fine with STEAM_RUNTIME=0, until that stopped working altogether on Gentoo. Now STEAM_RUNTIME=1 is required.

Ah, the wonders of bundled libs that are obviously only configured for Ubuntu :-/ Why didn't Valve use proper libraries, and FDO standards? For example why use Ubuntu-specific systray libraries? FDO has a proper standard for this, that works everywhere. Makes zero sense to me. This would work everywhere, including Ubuntu. They chose to use Ubuntu-only stuff instead, which doesn't work correctly (or not all) on other systems. This is extremely bad design. I thought Valve had actually done their homework about Linux development.
                  Last edited by RealNC; 04 May 2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I noticed that when Steam is trying to show videos in a flash ... ?
                    Steam needs 32bit flash
                    If using 64bit you need to follow this https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1493-GHZB-7612
                    After adding this steam no longer crashes or freezes when trying to view videos or purchase games from steam .

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
                      Ouh that sounds pretty good. What settings if I may ask?

Comment

Working...
                      X