No announcement yet.

Portal Released For Steam On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portal Beta was playable with Intel HD 4000 (kernel 3.9, mesa 9.1.1) but i only installed it because there is still no L4D2. Now i see the next game with source engine, but it is still not L4D2... Btw. Portal 2 is not on that list as well. Before somebody buys it better check:

Comment

Nice fact checking their, it is only Portal not Portal 2 and it's currently in Beta not a final version.

Comment

Well, just hope that valve will make gaming on linux equal as gaming on windows in terms of quality, because as for now even games for linux are worse compared to windows, with much more bugs and lower graphics, i.e. super meat boy or torchlight.

Comment

Has anyone tried this with the current AMD blob (ideally on a 77xx card) yet? Is it playable?
          Just wondering whether to get it now, or wait a couple of months for AMD to patch over all the bugs that this probably exposes...

Either way it's good to see it, these two are probably my favourite Valve games and the main reason I was excited by Steam coming.

Comment

I tested Portal on default open source driver (Kubuntu 13.04 HD6950) and it is playable on max settings. It is crashed once when i picked two color portal device.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
              Has anyone tried this with the current AMD blob (ideally on a 77xx card) yet? Is it playable?
              I just tried it on my Mobility HD7770 (equivalent to a slightly lower-clocked desktop 7750), and it runs super-smooth :-)
              And I was running 3 screens, and it magically knew to only fulscreen to the main notebook one, which I find super impressive, since when I have many screens connected, fulscreen apps usually do somethinf very stupid.

I am running 13.3beta3 drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                same here. I just don't understand why you can't change the account name or/and why you can't give away game licenses to another account.
                I'm guessing:
                A) They don't want a second hand market for Steam games.
                B) To avoid compromised accounts having their licenses sold/transfered.
                C) To avoid people creating a new accounts for buying additional copies of a game during a huge sale, and then trading the licenses later when prices are back to normal.

Mostly A though.

And for name change, I think it could create problems of this sort:
                Someone "hacks" your account, changes the email address and all other contact info. Then they change the account name and create a new account with your old name, making it difficult for support to find your real account and restore ownership to you.

Comment

Originally posted by johanar View Post
                  I'm guessing:
                  A) They don't want a second hand market for Steam games.
                  B) To avoid compromised accounts having their licenses sold/transfered.
                  C) To avoid people creating a new accounts for buying additional copies of a game during a huge sale, and then trading the licenses later when prices are back to normal.

Mostly A though.

And for name change, I think it could create problems of this sort:
                  Someone "hacks" your account, changes the email address and all other contact info. Then they change the account name and create a new account with your old name, making it difficult for support to find your real account and restore ownership to you.
                  'A' Sounds about right however they're all good points.

I have 2 accounts too but I was lucky enough that I only have a few older games on the the other account that I don't play anymore anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Portal Beta was playable with Intel HD 4000 (kernel 3.9, mesa 9.1.1) but i only installed it because there is still no L4D2. Now i see the next game with source engine, but it is still not L4D2... Btw. Portal 2 is not on that list as well. Before somebody buys it better check:

http://steamdb.info/linux/
                    Am I reading this wrong? I see there halflife 2 works 19 hours ago.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                      Works flawlessly on my relatively powerful nvidia system, certainly 60+ fps with maximum settings; runs awfully on my trinity laptop with open source drivers (I'd say around 15-20fps or so at a guess). I'll try out fglrx and enable the console so I can see the precise FPS sometime soon.
                      GIT radeon/mesa/kernel with Vadims patches?..

Comment

Working...
                      X