No announcement yet.

Portal Released For Steam On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a bit of stutter, when I started the game, when going through the first portals, and when turning around.

I notice this with serious sam 3 too.
    It like my cpu and or gpu need to wake up first.

After this the game is 100% fluent. HD5750 1 gig of ram, amd phenom II x4 @ 3.2 ghz. 4 gig ram. openSUSE 12.3 64 bit.

I might have found one bug, I entered an elevator and nothing happened, I was stuck in the elevator.
    Reloading last check point solved this.

I made it through the first 5 chambers or so.

Thank you Valve

Now I can play portal while waiting for Left for Dead 2, which is according to a mod on the valve for steam forums, coming today....
    It took them so long because of the graphic drivers, that needed fixing first.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
      Seems to be running great for me (on NVIDIA though).

On first run in the first level there were a few hitches as the actual portals were revealed but smoothed out.

This seems to be common with Source games in Linux though? TF2 has a few hitches while loading, I assume, assets then smoothes out.
      It works very well on my gtx680 at max settings. I recomend you to use the official nvidia drivers.
      Last edited by jota87r; 03 May 2013, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
        I just tried it on my Mobility HD7770 (equivalent to a slightly lower-clocked desktop 7750), and it runs super-smooth :-)
        And I was running 3 screens, and it magically knew to only fulscreen to the main notebook one, which I find super impressive, since when I have many screens connected, fulscreen apps usually do somethinf very stupid.

I am running 13.3beta3 drivers.
        Thanks, that's just what I was hoping to hear.
        Now to find out if my aged Pentium D holds up - it wasn't that old when Portal was originally released, and if it can't cope I was planning to replace it soon anyway

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
          Well, just hope that valve will make gaming on linux equal as gaming on windows in terms of quality, because as for now even games for linux are worse compared to windows, with much more bugs and lower graphics, i.e. super meat boy or torchlight.
          Way to pick two titles that are prime examples of what happens when devs only have a Linux port as an after-thought to get in on a Humble Indie Bundle. Runic games did it for the free advertising and to make a quick buck off their old title; they released Torchlight 2 during the HIB with Torchlight included. They have made it pretty clear that getting Torchlight 2 ported to Linux is quite low on their priority list. I wouldn't expect to see it until they have Torchlight 3 ready and are looking to get in on another HIB. So no surprise that the Torchlight Linux port is a half-assed rush job that was never properly completed.

As for Super Meat Boy, Tommy from Team Meat is a Microsoft fanboy douche who has only ever been concerned about the XBLA version of the game. He has expressed his anti-Linux sentiments on numerous occasions and if it wasn't for the prospect of easy money and probably Edmund's desire to have the game in a HIB he probably would of never let the game come near Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
            I had a bit of stutter, when I started the game, when going through the first portals, and when turning around.

I notice this with serious sam 3 too.
            It like my cpu and or gpu need to wake up first.

After this the game is 100% fluent. HD5750 1 gig of ram, amd phenom II x4 @ 3.2 ghz. 4 gig ram. openSUSE 12.3 64 bit.

I might have found one bug, I entered an elevator and nothing happened, I was stuck in the elevator.
            Reloading last check point solved this.

I made it through the first 5 chambers or so.

Thank you Valve

Now I can play portal while waiting for Left for Dead 2, which is according to a mod on the valve for steam forums, coming today....
            It took them so long because of the graphic drivers, that needed fixing first.
            Ditto about the stutters in Portal and SS3, but it's not your card waking up. Notice those don't happen the next time you load up the game and load an existing save. They only happen on the beginning levels.

What I want to know is if there is any way to eliminate screen tears. Even after enabling vblank sync in Nvidia settings and turning it on in Portal as well, it still tears.

According to Valve's blog L4D2 is coming this week which has to mean today. Here is hoping! In the meantime I've got some Portal to play.

Originally posted by startzz View Post
            Well, just hope that valve will make gaming on linux equal as gaming on windows in terms of quality, because as for now even games for linux are worse compared to windows, with much more bugs and lower graphics, i.e. super meat boy or torchlight.
            In some cases it may be more the game dev to blame, in some the driver, in some X. I agree with IanS though, in those two cases it sounds like the game dev may be to blame. There is a huge catch-up now with Linux drivers that can be used intensively for gaming. Hopefully after that is in place it will be on-par, except for the tearing thing, but that will be solved in Wayland once it is ready, and hopefully in X too if some devs can figure out how to fix the code.

Comment

Yeah ! Time to Steam some dough on Linux! ;o)

Comment

I've spent most of the evening playing, and was very impressed - the game was extremely smooth, much better than the various Half-Life/Counter-Strike variants that I've been playing for the last few weeks. I did notice the occasional minor stutter reported by other fglrx users, but no tearing or horrible FPS spikes; hopefully future game or driver updates will make it perfect..

Now that the modern games that people actually still play are finally coming, Valve's Steam usage figures might pick up again

This box has a Pentium D 820 and an HD7770 with the proprietary fglrx blob.

Comment

Cool

Cool!

I think Portal is a game that is likely to be very appreciated and very well received by users of Linux.
                  I believe it to be the kind of game that would appeal to Linux users.

Comment

Being a beta, I shoudln't be so surprised to run up against bugs...

The game crashes instantly when I place the cube on the button in Test-Chamber 14. Does this happen for anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
                      As for Super Meat Boy, Tommy from Team Meat is a Microsoft fanboy douche who has only ever been concerned about the XBLA version of the game. He has expressed his anti-Linux sentiments on numerous occasions and if it wasn't for the prospect of easy money and probably Edmund's desire to have the game in a HIB he probably would of never let the game come near Linux.
                      Yes. Thankfully HIB allows you to do the custom allocation, which means Team Meat never got a single cent from me during any bundle ^_^

Comment

Working...
                      X