Steam Linux Usage Still On The Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by coder543 View Post
    Portal was promised to be a release title for Steam on Linux, yet it still isn't here. Where is my Portal? It's really the only Steam game I'm likely to play at any point in the near future, and I already have a copy associated with my Steam account, so any day now would be good.
    How about yesterday?

Playing that now and also hoping L4D2 beta drops today like it should according to their blog.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      How about yesterday?

Playing that now and also hoping L4D2 beta drops today like it should according to their blog.

Valve time....... we'll see it when we'll see it, and not before.

Comment

• Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Valve time....... we'll see it when we'll see it, and not before.
        It's a closed beta that is already being tested and they said they'd open it up for public testing this week on their blog.

I don't think Valve time really applies in this situation, but we'll probably find out if what they said was true today since I doubt they will release it tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          Hardware is used in a nicer way on Linux that on Windows,
          You mean not at all?

Useless. Audio on screens sucks.
          HDMI is the easiest way to connect directly to a receiver.

Get a desktop or a laptop with just an IGP, problem solved. Alternatively, disable the IGP in the BIOS/UEFI (with good batteries, battery life isn't that bad). It'll give much better performance than using Optimus/Bumblebee, too.
          Right, so waste more money + more heat, because we can't be bothered to support the feature.

Sound cards are useless (130dB SNR? Do you like crushing your ears with FLACs, or what?), better spend money on good audio hardware instead.
          Good soundcards are competitive with mid-range receivers. Dolby Headphone (which isn't always supported by receivers) is a godsend for headphone users. Theres no comparison to onboard with even a low end soundcard (ASUS Xonar DGX).

Do you need 10Gb/s Ethernet ? I don't think so.
          Actually, yes. Theres an advantage to living in a place where Cablevision/Verison/Time Warner are having a war to try and get customers. Integrated chokes somewhere past 50Mb/s with multiple downloads going.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Fact is Linux has bay far the best out of box hardware support than any other kernel in existence. Period. It's main flaw is that it isnt a stable abi. But that hasn't prevented drivers from being written and kept up to date. Just about every sound card, ethernet card, video card, wifi, etc, etc are supported out of the box. i admit some drivers are better quality than others.
            WTH is hardware support handled kernel level? Thats idiotic, and one of the reasons you have to tear the ABI apart every few years, and make entirely new stacks every decade to make things work. Hardware support should be handled via drivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              Hardware is used in a nicer way on Linux that on Windows, this is especially true for CPUs. Also, most distros use less RAM and disk space than Windows and boot faster.
              Not true, because even cpu tests and cpu related runs faster on windows, plus it uses less ram because by default linux is useless and pretty much "naked", and in fact, god invented ram to be used for speed increases, not to be empty and useless, just like in windows - there ram could be under highly used for os speed increases, but if your program needs more ram than is free now, then windows releases that amount of ram and gives it to program... Boot speed is not true also, because windows 7/8 boots faster than any linux distro, actually, boot speed on linux is a big problem, which developers tried to solve some time ago, but failed, as it only became longer for "some reasons" . And comparing disk usage shows your noobish level in general understanding of whats going on in this world... If you would have big and empty head, you would be just like linux nothing personal, you can leave words like "troll" to your friends here, just personal experiance shows, that linux is slower than windows in every way.
              Last edited by startzz; 03 May 2013, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
                That's a pretty amazing read of that chart. What I see is Linux hanging on in the 1% area and Windows 8 growing at a much faster rate than Linux. And the XP downtick was offset by an equal uptick in Windows 7.

Linux is basically going nowhere.

And here's my gaming experience on Ubuntu:

- tearing
                - crappy performance
                - tearing
                - more tearing
                - accidentally hit Alt, HUD comes up and I can't get back to my game
                - compiz crashed, would you like to send a bug report?

For that matter I can't even use XBMC on the system anymore. If anybody thinks somebody is going to leave the comfort of Windows 7 for this garbage they're very naive.
                And that is why I do not use Steam on *buntu, and use a rather simple desktop environment when I play (i.e XFCE)

Comment

• Originally posted by startzz View Post
                  Not true, because even cpu tests and cpu related runs faster on windows, plus it uses less ram because by default linux is useless and pretty much "naked", and in fact, god invented ram to be used for speed increases, not to be empty and useless, just like in windows - there ram could be under highly used for os speed increases, but if your program needs more ram than is free now, then windows releases that amount of ram and gives it to program... Boot speed is not true also, because windows 7/8 boots faster than any linux distro, actually, boot speed on linux is a big problem, which developers tried to solve some time ago, but failed, as it only became longer for "some reasons" . And comparing disk usage shows your noobish level in general understanding of whats going on in this world... If you would have big and empty head, you would be just like linux nothing personal, you can leave words like "troll" to your friends here, just personal experiance shows, that linux is slower than windows in every way.
                  CPU tests running slower on Linux is absolute bullshit. Sorry. What on earth would be slowing them?

The same thing about RAM being used for caching and later released to apps applies to Linux as well.

I have both Ubuntu and Windows 7 at my work and Ubuntu boots to desktop in the same time or possibly slightly less.

Lower disk usage is actually very helpful. I have multiple network-booted PCs and other PC-like systems at my home and lower disk footprint is absolutely invaluable, since SSDs (which I use for this purpose) are still rather expensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by startzz View Post
                    Boot speed is not true also, because windows 7/8 boots faster than any linux distro, actually, boot speed on linux is a big problem, which developers tried to solve some time ago, but failed, as it only became longer for "some reasons"
                    Wow just straight up lies.

Booting up Linux in ~2 seconds http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTEwMjc

I'm 3.5 seconds on a normal drive.

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

read the comments on boot time...

Nicely, I'm saying this nicely, I hope you can get to the point where your lips are no longer locked around Micro$haft.

Comment

• Originally posted by vyrgozunqk View Post
                      The os is obligated to make my hardware works... if the os can't do this, then it's no good! - Afterall this is the purpose of the os!
                      Without the manufacturer providing drivers or disclosing the necessary technical information to make their devices work? This is entirely the manufacturer fault, the OS developers can't do much to make black boxes work, save from a lengthy and painful reverse engineering effort which often results in reduced functionality if at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X