Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Still On The Decline

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Still On The Decline

With Valve's very well known "Steam Hardware Survey", after showing some promising Linux statistics at first, last month indicated that the Linux adoption of the game distribution software was stagnate or on the decline. The April figures for the Steam hardware survey are now public and they indicate further losses for Linux gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Come on Valve, the world is waiting for HL2/Portal 2/CS:GO on Linux! It's too soon to draw any conclusions yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtKun View Post
      Come on Valve, the world is waiting for HL2/Portal 2/CS:GO on Linux! It's too soon to draw any conclusions yet.
      Or Dota2...

Comment

Originally posted by ArtKun View Post
        Don't forget Left 4 Dead, Defense of the Ancients and other games in the process of porting like Euro Truck Simulator 2, Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad, etc.

There will be more and more games on Linux, game engines like Unreal Engine and CryEngine will run natively on Linux and make it cheaper for game developers to develop and publish Linux games.

Comment

AMD's drivers still have huge problems, Valve's ports take a bit longer than expected and the #1 Linux distribution Ubuntu is basicly rewriting the whole system at the moment. So this was to be expected.

Although I still think it will be huge two years from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            ... So this was to be expected.
            Expected, yes, also because there aren't any fun non-casual games there. I guess not many gamers (the target audience ?) are going to play a couple of old shooters are they ... Or people like me who get motion sickness from shooters and prefer RPGs and RTS games.
            Ok fine I really just want to play StarCraft 2.
            What I usually hear from gamers would be: "Steam is on Linux now ? Can I play all my games on Linux then ? No ? Then forget it, I'll stick with Windows."
            Last edited by calim; 01 May 2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Honestly I think the numbers are ok considering that maybe 1-2% of Steam's content is linux compatible. Steam itself doesn't run poorly and so far every game I've attempted to run in steam (except limbo, which was taken off eventually) has worked, albeit with a little additional effort since I'm using Arch. Valve isn't doing anything wrong, there's just not enough content yet. When Steam for Mac was released, not only did they give away Portal for free but they had a lot of the other source engine games working immediately. With Linux, there's mostly just indie games that people have already played.

Comment

Originally posted by calim View Post
                What I usually hear from gamers would be: "Steam is on Linux now ? Can I play all my games on Linux then ? No ? Then forget it, I'll stick with Windows."
                THIS!

When all of valve's own games are available for linux then people will switch, until then there are too many big games like portal 1/2, left 4 dead etc not out yet.

Give it 2yrs and i reckon it will have a 5-6.5% market share.

Comment

surge was good indicator

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                  THIS!

When all of valve's own games are available for linux then people will switch, until then there are too many big games like portal 1/2, left 4 dead etc not out yet.

Give it 2yrs and i reckon it will have a 5-6.5% market share.
                  I'd say it may become more than that. With Windows on decline and Mac loosing its spiritual leader, Linux will only raise. And yeah, big lack of games.

Comment

Let's not forget that most of the linux population is heading into spring and people are simply enjoying it away from their machines after a long winter.

Comment

Working...
                    X