Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    And here's my gaming experience on Ubuntu:

- tearing
    - crappy performance
    - tearing
    - more tearing
    - accidentally hit Alt, HUD comes up and I can't get back to my game
    - compiz crashed, would you like to send a bug report?

For that matter I can't even use XBMC on the system anymore. If anybody thinks somebody is going to leave the comfort of Windows 7 for this garbage they're very naive.
    Its your fault. You probably have the wrong hardware, and picked the wrong desktop/distro. First, use nvidia, else stay away. Second, you don't need compositing to play games. I have zero tearing, and i use vsync with triple buffer just fine in all games i have tried.

Next time go with something like lubuntu and nvidia for zero gaming issues. And uninstall apport.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      That's a pretty amazing read of that chart. What I see is Linux hanging on in the 1% area and Windows 8 growing at a much faster rate than Linux. And the XP downtick was offset by an equal uptick in Windows 7.
      But the percent fractions are what is interesting. If you check the history, Linux has never been as high in usage as it is now. It's been growing by +0.05% every year, and currently it's growing by +0.1% per month. That's pretty impressive. And if you say that fractions don't matter, then the Steam stats show no change as well.

And yes, people usually migrate from XP to Win8 or Win7. I'm overall just happy that they are migrating, period. WinXP is a dinosaur.

Originally posted by Serge View Post
      I think that the decline of XP is due more to EOL concerns than to preference for or appeal of alternatives. XP EOL is less than a year away now.
      Actually, if you check the history, WinXP usage has been going down in a pretty linear fashion ever since the release of Win7. The EOL status is probably going to influence it more as time goes, but it's still not EOL and won't be for a year.

Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
      I'm fairly certain the Steambox will get more people thinking about the Steambox, not Linux in general. Afaik the box will be marketed as a console, not a computer, so most people will treat it as such. The underlying OS is basically irrelevant on a console (or for gamers in general), their main concern is that all of their games run on a platform.
      The point was that the developers will have to start making their games Linux-compatible in order to have then working on the SteamBox, and so release their games on Linux, making the Linux game catalogue bigger. Possibly even have Linux/SteamBox exclusive titles.

Comment

Hadn't osx also a very high statistic early after the steam release? I I remember correct they was four times as big in the stat as now when they was as biggest.

Comment

Is this survey thing something you have to opt in to, or is it automatic? And do Valve only run stats on their own games?

I would just like it if all HIB games were playable on Steam Linux. I was shocked to learn that the developers behind Super Meat Boy (one of my fav games) are actively against Linux and won't submit it to Steam! WTF?! I expect that attitude from EA, not an indie dev. And why is BIT.TRIP RUNNER 1 not available, which I enjoy more than 2? I know I can install them manually, but the cool thing about Steam for me is the convenience... Oh well, at least I play more games on my PC now because of Steam, than I had the last 10 years.

Btw: Why do some people with bad drivers (AMD) always blame the platform instead of the company?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtKun View Post
            Come on Valve, the world is waiting for HL2/Portal 2/CS:GO on Linux! It's too soon to draw any conclusions yet.
            What do you mean "the world" ? Like 4, 5 people ?

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
              Is this survey thing something you have to opt in to, or is it automatic? And do Valve only run stats on their own games?
              The Hardware Survey runs once a month and is opt-in. If you are (randomly) selected you'll be shown a prompt where you can choose whether you want to send information or not. As part of that information Steam also collects information about what kind of software you've got installed (however, this result does not seem to be displayed on their public page any longer). If you want to see what kind of information is collected just go here: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey. Do read the description at the top.

Steam also shows you which games you've played (and for how long), but that is separate from the hardware survey and is stored for any Steam-game (not just Valve's own).

Originally posted by numasan View Post
              Btw: Why do some people with bad drivers (AMD) always blame the platform instead of the company?
              Because most people don't care about such details. The game does run on Windows but not on Linux -> Linux is at fault, never mind all this technical driver-thingy-whatever... "I just want the game to work".

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              The point was that the developers will have to start making their games Linux-compatible in order to have then working on the SteamBox, and so release their games on Linux, making the Linux game catalogue bigger. Possibly even have Linux/SteamBox exclusive titles.
              Depends on how Linux-compatible the box really is. If the box is like a regular console, games will end up compatible with the Steambox (i.e. hardware, drivers, APIs etc. used by the box) and not Linux in general. Let's just hope this is not the case.

Comment

64-bit

There are no 64-bit Steam client, so you have to run the 32-bit Steam client on 64-bit Ubuntu which is annoying.

Also, there are no good games, there are around 50 games only, and most of them you have never heard of.
                Also, you have to pay for the games, there are no free or free-to-play games.

Comment

Does it really matter?

It doesn't really matter if Steam for Linux completely bombs. We still have Desura, DJL, Kickstarter and a plethora of other things. Whatever does happen, I've been using Linux for almost a year now and I'll never go back to Windows no matter what. Honestly I have all but quit using Steam, there is only so many times you can play Pixel-Art games before they become boring and cliche. Valve should use it's resources to nudge Devs to make more AAA games if they want Linux to succeed on their platform. Pixel-Art games aren't cutting it.

Comment

Google Chrome suffered that too in its beginning. Look where it's now.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                      THIS!

When all of valve's own games are available for linux then people will switch, until then there are too many big games like portal 1/2, left 4 dead etc not out yet.

Give it 2yrs and i reckon it will have a 5-6.5% market share.

I totaly agree ...
                      And for now there is not enough new games that comes out every month to keep people interested ...
                      I have to say that I have bought some games on steam, played them without any significant problem (Kubuntu,good Nvidia Graphic card, I5 CPU, 8 GB RAM) .. so it works pretty well with nvidia hardware.
                      Another remark is that since Steam came out on linux, I have also bought games for Windows that I play with "PlayOnLinux" (wine front end/mananger) .. So I perhaps participate in the windows % in the survey. Cause the store makes you want to play the games and if they aren't available you try to play them anyway ...

I think the linux steam client should give the possibility to vote for Windows games that should come to Linux, with a kickstarter like campaign option in the steam client (pre-buy your game) ..
                      You vote for the windows game as a "Linux player" and give the money to make it happen .. so the company that makes the game has the possibility to move to the Linux platform without investing its own money .. everyone wins .. Linux players have the games they want, the company doesn't need to invest a lot to see if it works. If game sells well the company see it is in its interest to port games at the beginning of dev cycle...

Comment

Working...
                      X