Left 4 Dead 2 Beta On Linux Coming Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Not full, Linux Steam only have around fifty games, and most are shitty games you've never heard of.
    Linux have no 2013 blockbuster game.
    At the time of this posting, Steam for Linux has 106 games for sale through the website. Plus another dozen or so games in beta you can download and install but don't show up in the store yet as Linux titles; that number keeps going up every few days. As far as them being shitty and unheard of, that depends on how long you have been living under that rock of yours. I've heard of just about all of them and own about half of them.

They are predominantly Indie titles at the moment, but Steam has only been on Linux for 6 months now, and only out of beta for about 2 of those. Considering that it can take 2-5 years to create a triple-A game, I am not surpised we aren't seeing many yet, but that will be changing with time, especially once the Steambox release draws near.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
      hmmm they're different

in killing floor the purpose is to survive wave after wave of zombs and then kill the fleshpound and finish that map.

in left4dead the purpose is to get from point A to B then C then D and escape

in left 4 dead there are less zombs but they're harder to kill.

killing floor makes it more satisfying to kill zombs with headshots and exploding bodies etc...

killing floor the weapons are better and you can aim, in l4d is pretty much shoot whatever it pretty much works the same
      you meant the Patriarch. Fleshpounds (big guys with yellow glowing stripe on their chest that get's red when they rage) are around one level after scrakes (chainsaw amputator guys).

About A -> B -> C -> D: Well, in KF you've to get to the trader during the wave, too. (or at least at the end of it). So it's not like staying in one position will do the trick.

killing floor makes it more satisfying to kill zombs with headshots and exploding bodies etc...

killing floor the weapons are better and you can aim, in l4d is pretty much shoot whatever it pretty much works the same
      ah, okay. I'm not sure I'll like in that case...I really like to make those heads go *pop*. It's similiar to popping a zit and letting all that pus out. Good feeling.
      Last edited by Detructor; 26 April 2013, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        SteamPipe conversion (aka faster load times) for TF2 is now scheduled for April, 30th.
        You can get this, through the game settings.

Comment

Excellent, I will be looking forward to this release. Hopefully we get Max Payne 3 soon (doubtful)

Comment

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
            Excellent, I will be looking forward to this release. Hopefully we get Max Payne 3 soon (doubtful)
            It's hard enough to get Rockstar to release their games for Windows, let alone asking for ports to multiple PC platforms. They're pretty 50/50 already on only releasing games on consoles (See: RDR. Also, GTAV right now is listed as console-only)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Not full, Linux Steam only have around fifty games, and most are shitty games you've never heard of.
              Linux have no 2013 blockbuster game.
              Linux steam has over 100 games. Among them are "Amnesia: The Dark Descent", "Crusader Kings 2", Anna, Oil Rush, The Cave, Trine 2, Bastion, Serious Sam 3 and Killing Floor. These are big games. To be sure, there are plenty of less well-known games, mainly from independent studios who were using a cross-platform engine anyway, but describing them as shitty is unfair. Particularly given that many of them were in humble bundles (which did very well).

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                Linux steam has over 100 games. Among them are "Amnesia: The Dark Descent", "Crusader Kings 2", Anna, Oil Rush, The Cave, Trine 2, Bastion, Serious Sam 3 and Killing Floor. These are big games. To be sure, there are plenty of less well-known games, mainly from independent studios who were using a cross-platform engine anyway, but describing them as shitty is unfair. Particularly given that many of them were in humble bundles (which did very well).
                Even more, if you open the steam store and click on the linux button it shows on the right hand side that there are 176 games for purchase on our beloved platform!
                And like you say, it's not the big blockbusters (yet) but there's a lot of quality in there.

I don't see a great deal of older aaa games get released for linux steam, save for some close partners of valve (gearbox maybe, would love to play borderlands 2). It's just not cost effective for the big publishers.
                You will see more aaa releases nearing and after the steambox release, especially games where development has been started after valves announcement.

Comment

I remember that modern warfare 1 got released on OS X, but it didn't sell much so they never bothered to release modern warfare 2 or 3...

still I wish they would bother porting a recent aaa title just to see if it sells.

Destructor go with KF, l4d2 requires much less skill and basically will have you empty clip after clip into a horde of zombies... you don't 'feel' the impact of the guns like you do in KF and basically once you finish the game it's done...

kf has much more replay value.

when I started playin KF, fleshpound was the boss and there was no patriarch... but it was still just a mod for ut and not a standalone game

Comment

l4d2 requires much less skill and basically will have you empty clip after clip into a horde of zombies... you don't 'feel' the impact of the guns like you do in KF and basically once you finish the game it's done...
                    Not exactly.

Spraying bullets at anything you see in L4D or L4D2 pretty much grants you a passport to hell immediately. You have designated ammo refill points, but the real objective is to flee as fast as you can from point A to point B with your entire party alive before the horde overwhelms you. And believe me, they WILL. Because the whole premise of the L4D series is really about escaping a losing battle, and not trying to be be a one-man army ala Rambo.

Comment

Destructor go with KF, l4d2 requires much less skill and basically will have you empty clip after clip into a horde of zombies... you don't 'feel' the impact of the guns like you do in KF and basically once you finish the game it's done...

kf has much more replay value.

when I started playin KF, fleshpound was the boss and there was no patriarch... but it was still just a mod for ut and not a standalone game
                      I'd disagree that KF has more replay value. L4D2 gets boring if you don't increase the difficulty as you get better/only play with bots, in no way does finishing the game mean that it's done, any more than finishing a map on KF means that it's done.

KF has classes which can do extra things (see e.g. cloaked units from greater distances) , which add an extra dimension to the gameplay, whereas in L4D2 every character can use every gun and they're only differentiated by a skin. KF also has a much wider variety of enemies, which helps keep things interesting.

However I find the enemy spawning in KF to be somewhat lacklustre, in many levels there are set 'entry points' (blocked corridors) that are the only place enemies come from. L4D2 on the other hand, spawns enemies as and when it feels like it, which makes each playthrough feel different. There are a handful of times when you know a hoard/huge zombie will turn up at point X, but it's generally clear from context anyway.

L4D2 is also more strictly cooperative: if somebody falls down you need to go and pick them up (sometimes surrounded by zombies). Everybody can carry a medkit but they can use it on other people too, and the mechanics of the game are such that it encourages a certain amount of altruism. Killing floor just lets you give people money between waves.

Ultimately, I find that L4D2 feels more natural: helping people up, helping each other along and just running to get out. Enemies are placed wherever the engine deems it appropriate and the game isn't confined to "killing time" vs "restocking time" (yes, saferooms exist, but they're basically just checkpoints).

Comment

Working...
                      X