No announcement yet.

Ouya Game Console Performance Is Disappointing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only saving grace I can see for them is that they've promised an annual refresh with each new ARM architecture; if they can survive until they release their A15 model then they should be able to pull through and actually become a decent platform for console gaming. But hey, it's still somewhat of a competitive deal at $100 for a quad core A9 system with wifi and enclosure, the first included game controller is like a freebie. Still really excited for the $300 steam box model though! I used to love console gaming on the PS2, but with EQOA dying after WoW came out I just ended up completely transitioning to PC gaming without looking back even after the newer consoles came out. To just have a little complete linux PC connected to the living room tv with the option of playing games in Big Picture is just an ideal scenario for me. I'm still waiting to hear what the advised specs are to be able to determine if I could just assemble my own steambox at the same $300 price point as the "better" model or if buying the pre-built box would be more cost effective.

Comment

Anyone that expected this to be a real gaming computer is naive at best. Most Android games wont even play on this since they rely to much on touch screens and will never be ported. Not that there is much available for Android that is worth playing anyways.

What is this good for then? It should make a half decent emulator box for old consoles. If you stripped Android from it it'd maybe make a decent playback only HTPC.

What would make this a competitive gaming system that might garner some attention from game developers? Start with at least the 8core Mali-T678 GPU and a 2Ghz quad core Cortex-A15 CPU and 4Gb of ram and SATA and USB3 controllers for mass storage both internal and external as well as support for SDXC cards and Bluetooth for wireless remotes and controllers maybe allow it to also be a DVR box. Top end arm is able to handle it.

That'd put it in the range of the PS3 in terms of total processing power, but with much more up to date GPU functions allowing for better looking games.

Comment

Originally posted by eugene2k View Post
        Did someone actually expect a console running Android to be usable for games? Good god, people, how naive can you be?

For future references: real consoles do not multitask!
        All of the new consoles for this generation multitask.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          Anyone that expected this to be a real gaming computer is naive at best. Most Android games wont even play on this since they rely to much on touch screens and will never be ported. Not that there is much available for Android that is worth playing anyways.

What is this good for then? It should make a half decent emulator box for old consoles. If you stripped Android from it it'd maybe make a decent playback only HTPC.
          Nah, it could do that now, with XBMC for android, it works well on my old phones with worse hardware than the OUYA.

Comment

They should have anticipated for the Tegra 4, even if it added $20 the final price.

They may still have time to redeem the project before it goes live.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              If you stripped Android from it it'd maybe make a decent playback only HTPC.
              Stripping Android from it would actually hurt it's functions as a HTPC. As it has been mentioned, xbmc already works fine with the Ouya and sticking with Android means that you can still utilize services like Netflix/Hulu and still utilize features that they offer like "SuperHD" and AC-3 surround. Those features are missing on the PC web browser versions of those services. Switching it to linux would actually reduce those capabilities. I've got an Ouya and eagerly awaiting it for just plain HTPC purposes and never wanted it for games in the first place.

Comment

Gaming history is littered with underpowered devices that have achieved amazing gaming experiences despite their limitations. I don't expect there are too many games that will force OUYA over the edge, but I may just be out of touch with Android gaming. To suggest we should expect something like the graphics we see on the PS3 or XBOX 360 become common on Android in the short-term is a bit unrealistic, although in a couple years things may have accelerated at an exceptional pace.

I think the OUYA has played its cards right by focusing on a low price-point and developers, since there will be plenty of people willing to get a cheap home console for fun, not for graphics. I'm not sure if they would get more business by focusing on high-end graphics at a higher price.

Comment

@Michael

And actual tests about actual GAMES?

IIRC (<- irony..) current gen consoles are weaker than current gen PC's, and still nobody mind that (but PC gamers who would use some better gfx in their ports of console games )

So lets wait and see what game devs can offer us.

(And Futuremark claim that they can do cross platform, cross api test with comparable results just by offering same pre-sets....)

Comment

Too little, too late

Ouya would have been great if it was released a year ago.
                    Technology moves forward and Ouya is getting behind.

Maybe will be decent as a HTPC and server, kind of like what many people use Raspberry Pi for.
                    At least it is ARMv7, not ARMv6 unlike Raspberry Pi.

Comment

Any good project director would bring the project back into line with market expectations. This means advancing the the grunt of the unit.

I think phase one kick-starter unit recipients will understand if the public release is more powerful, so as to save the overall project.

Comment

Working...
                      X