Valve Publishes Packages For Their Linux Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
    Can you name one? I would like to try it because until now all the games worked fine (except Torchlight and its famouse "missing face" bug).
    Here, let me google that for you.... http://support.humblebundle.com/cust...-v-system-reqs

This is just ONE bundle. Remember how many bundles there are, each with usually atleast one game with intel issues. Since your lazy, I'll point out the comment your looking for; "Note: May not work with Intel Integrated Graphics".

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Here, let me google that for you.... http://support.humblebundle.com/cust...-v-system-reqs

This is just ONE bundle. Remember how many bundles there are, each with usually atleast one game with intel issues. Since your lazy, I'll point out the comment your looking for; "Note: May not work with Intel Integrated Graphics".
      Intel stuff have best FLOSS support amongst big 3.

For chance against big blobs we still need some time, and rethinking of what we want. (Seen patches that disable S3TC support in Intel HW, even though it wont work without external lib, in Fedora, that was like killing week old dead)

Anyway we really need that new texture formats for OpenGL that are free (and patent free). And best would be if GPU vendors and game devs pushed MS into supporting it in DX too..

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        Intel stuff have best FLOSS support amongst big 3.

For chance against big blobs we still need some time, and rethinking of what we want. (Seen patches that disable S3TC support in Intel HW, even though it wont work without external lib, in Fedora, that was like killing week old dead)

Anyway we really need that new texture formats for OpenGL that are free (and patent free). And best would be if GPU vendors and game devs pushed MS into supporting it in DX too..
        Why are you talking about FOSS?!? It won't work for the windows or mac driver either. They didn't mention OS when they said, "Note: May not work with Intel Integrated Graphics". And those drivers are not FOSS! Please read AND comprehend. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
          Why nobody really thinks about Intel HW? The upcoming GPUs with dedicated memory could have some nice power and with some ULW CPU the box could be really small and quiet + the driver is FOSS...
          But if any company is free to create it's own Steambox, then we maybe see and Intel based solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            By now, Intel graphics is just a tad faster than the XBOX360 graphics. So theoretically it should be OK for games. But then again, since the drivers and the whole graphics stack add too much overhead, maybe not...
            Sounds interesting. I wasn't aware of this.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              By now, Intel graphics is just a tad faster than the XBOX360 graphics. So theoretically it should be OK for games. But then again, since the drivers and the whole graphics stack add too much overhead, maybe not...
              PS3 and X360 are pretty old now. The WiiU has comparable power and is new, but since it was is released it was constantly smacked down by game devs (latest point: Unreal Engine 4 isn't coming to WiiU).
              So I'm afraid that Intel graphics won't be enough for a new console, at least not if they're still aiming to compete with Sony and MS.

Comment

Besides, as Michael pointed out, there is no way of knowing if this "stuff" is for the actual SteamBox, or if it's for an eventual SteamOS. If it's for the SteamBox, then having an experimental nVidia driver is probably a sign that they'll be using nVidia GPU hardware. If it's for SteamOS, then it says nothing, as they'll likely need an AMD and Intel driver in there too.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                  (as a sales-rep at AMD, I'd still be pissed, but halfway at my own team-Red for not delivering decent linux drivers, whoever's fault that is =).
                  That would be AMD's legal department at fault. At least as far as the OSS driver is concerned. But it IS a decent driver. It's simply missing features. What has been implemented is damn good.

Comment

I've taken a look at the boot screen they have in the repo and posted screenshots and technical insights at my blog: http://shnatsel.blogspot.com/2013/04...nary-boot.html
                    In short, I have no idea how they're going to get it to work without black magic or getting Nvidia to implement kernel modesetting in the driver. Looks like Valve are up to something big...

Comment

@Shnatsel

Would be funny if they start exposing a fbdev interface. No need to expose KMS, no need for the user to enter resolutions like with vesafb.

However:
                      However, I have no idea how can this possibly work for a console. The problem is that even if you specify some minimal resolution the console supports as fbdev resolution and render the boot screen in it, it will look distorted on a screen with any other aspect ratio than the one you've hardcoded.
                      It's a limitation of plymouth if it can't scale properly (respecting aspect), not of the approach.

Comment

Working...
                      X