Valve Publishes Packages For Their Linux Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stupid

this is just plain stupid, why on earth would Valve bring out a steambox based on linux ? People who buy consoles (which a steambox essentially is) want games, right now the number of linux based games on steam is not worth it and the real big AAA titles are not coming out on steam, so if vales wants this to be a success either a LOT more linux bases AAA titles need to come out or they need to use an OS that supports the AAA titles.

and no I am not a troll, I use Linux, am happy with it, but right now and the foreseeable future its not a gaming platform

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post
      this is just plain stupid, why on earth would Valve bring out a steambox based on linux ? People who buy consoles (which a steambox essentially is) want games, right now the number of linux based games on steam is not worth it and the real big AAA titles are not coming out on steam, so if vales wants this to be a success either a LOT more linux bases AAA titles need to come out or they need to use an OS that supports the AAA titles.
      The OS that supports most AAA titles is Windows and Microsoft won't let this happen because they have Xbox already.

Comment

and no I am not a troll, I use Linux, am happy with it, but right now and the foreseeable future its not a gaming platform
        It's a catch 22. That much at least is certain. Valve has taken the first step in solving that whole circular dependency problem.

Comment

They still have more game then the PS4 and Xbox720, has of now, what you need is to compare to the one it gonna compete against, not the current one. And nothing can't compete against Windows for game, in part due to Gabe showing that Windows 95 was a good gaming OS by porting Doom, which was one of the top 3 highest selling software [yes software in general, not just game] back then. Basically, I am ready to bet he trying to repeat history, except this time with something he can have some control on, unlike Windows.

And I am pretty sure the incentive to buy an official Steam Box will be Valve Complete Collection (mostly for those that don't already use Steam, in other word, mostly console gamer), including the mystical Ricochet 2 (or whatever it is the code name for, hopefully something with the forbidden number, which I think is quite likely if they want do create a tidal wave of free publicity for the box).

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            Stop kidding. Intel hardware is way too slow for games. I'm glad they have chosen Nvidia, because it's simply the best choice. Furthermore, Ubuntu is turning to Qt and this is another reason to like it.
            I missed something here...I mean, I like Qt too, but I don't see how this relates to anything else said in the thread.

Also, it doesn't matter where Ubuntu is turning, because Steam will likely be "the desktop". There won't be Gnome, Unity, or KDE anywhere to be seen, unless you install it yourself. Makes for a more seamless gaming experience (no in-between desktop, or software management to take care of), although that comes at a price.

Comment

Steam for Linux already has far more games than most consoles launch with, and steambox isn't launching for quite a while still. Many companies already verified that their upcoming games will be available on Linux.

Comment

this is just plain stupid, why on earth would Valve bring out a steambox based on linux ? People who buy consoles (which a steambox essentially is) want games, right now the number of linux based games on steam is not worth it
                And right now there's no SteamBox yet, so where's the problem? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  Steam for Linux already has far more games than most consoles launch with, and steambox isn't launching for quite a while still. Many companies already verified that their upcoming games will be available on Linux.
                  What do you have in mind there?

Comment

And I guess you realise that Valve has said on multiple occasions that their SteamBox will run Linux???

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                      Can you say link which companies have committed? You said 'verified' so you sound like you've seen something that some of us may not have =D
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X