Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boltronics
    replied
    Actually, I suspect the problem is that they keep breaking the client all the time on non-Ubuntu distros. I've had to fix up my install on Debian Wheezy a number of times since the client has been out of beta. Last week, I got the dreaded 'You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run: libSDL2-2.0.so.0' error after a Steam update, and frankly I can't be bothered fixing it again, knowing it'll be something else that needs fixing in another week or so. I'm just going to sit back and wait until Steam adds some official Debian support before I waste any more time on it.

Oh, my install under Wine continues to work flawlessly. :/

Leave a comment:

• Weegee
    replied
    They need to port more games which have a great replay value, TF2 and CS(:S) are just not enough. Left 4 Dead 2 (at least to some extent) and especially DOTA 2 are the titles I really want to see.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by onicsis View Post
    May be Steam engine ported to Ubuntu Touch/ Mir on Nexus family ?
    Great idea, Valve could lock up all 3 of those users.

Leave a comment:

• onicsis
    replied
    For More Customers

May be Steam engine ported to Ubuntu Touch/ Mir on Nexus family ?

Leave a comment:

• jayrulez
    replied
    Originally posted by IanS View Post
    My bad, I should of checked the math, rereading it I thought something seemed off. Seems I had everything shifted over 2 places in my haste. So sticking with the 10m example:
    - 0.01% = 1k
    - 0.001% = 100
    - upwards of 999 accounts don't get counted per distro
    - 0.005% from each of the 47 listed distros would = ~23.5k users or more unaccounted for

Still a bit surprised no one else caught that before me. >.<

I saw that your math was flawed. I just didn't care enough to correct you . Good that you realized though.

Leave a comment:

• ElderSnake
    replied
    I fully expected the numbers to be down, after that Tux rush.

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    Yes he said it... Leave it alone don't feed the troll we have too many post in specifics placed to bring it in this thread... please please please ignore it.
    I am trying, but when comments like that are such complete and utter BS it is hard not. But I will leave it at that, for the sake of your sanity.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I've got a 6850 too and I couldnt be more happy with it. It plays everything I throw at it at my monitors resolution of 1680x1050. What more could you ask for really? A card that plays everything you throw at it at your monitors top resolution is kinda the point. r600g is a pretty good driver.
    Seconded, although I admit I am not playing Valve games as I am not on the Steam bandwagon. But my experience for other titles mostly mirrors yours, even with an older Diamond Radeon HD 4670 card (which has been an absolute pleasure to use).

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    We also can't expect developers to take the time to port their old games over to Linux.
    Why? Valve is doing it.
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 30 March 2013, 05:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    They need to allow Windows games to be installed on Steam. For example, you have the option of installing Mass Effect on Ubuntu through Steam, and Steam will use a particular WINE version for it that's known to be compatible.

Otherwise, it'll be difficult to get people interested in switching over to Linux if they can't bring all their library of games with them. We also can't expect developers to take the time to port their old games over to Linux.
    That'll never happen. It's true that wine has improved a lot over the years, but it is FAR from ideal. Valve has no control over wine and games break that once worked constantly. The amount of regressions that wine fixes and adds each release is astounding. Plus DirectX performance sucks ass big time. Even games that render properly are slow as dirt in DX mode.

It just isnt stable. Valve cant fix that. They just can't rely on wine.

Leave a comment:

• Kite
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    7870 and 6550 both play all the games I own for steam flawless.
    My Nvidia card (GT 520) plays without problems as well.

I think most people say the Linux driver situation is bad because they think about times passed.
    I'm glad you're not having issues, but that doesn't mean that nobody else is. See: any Linux user who ever had the misfortune of buying a laptop with an Optimus setup. Also, the tempest in the Steam forums of people trying Ubuntu to get that penguin doll and encountering major issues.

If a non-technical person with an arbitrary but common hardware setup cannot simply migrate to Linux and expect everything to work, then the driver situation ought to be considered dire.

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    They need to allow Windows games to be installed on Steam. For example, you have the option of installing Mass Effect on Ubuntu through Steam, and Steam will use a particular WINE version for it that's known to be compatible.

Otherwise, it'll be difficult to get people interested in switching over to Linux if they can't bring all their library of games with them. We also can't expect developers to take the time to port their old games over to Linux.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X