X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    I'm not the one trying to justify his purchase of postal 2 by calling it art.
    I do not justify my purchase of Postal 2 by calling it art, I justify my purchase because RWS are good people and good developers. That does not change the fact that it is.

You are and you have not supported your argument.
    Yes I have, even if you seem incapable of understanding my posts and have done nothing to dispute them other than say that you dispute them.

Please enlighten us, how is the Dude comparable to the Bard's Hamlet.
    Both frequently muse on the subject of death and our place in society, and both have something to say on how their comparative societies treat the people in them. They both have been treated to unfair circumstances and are struggling to discover the best ways in which they can handle them. Both are also rather over the top in depiction but are still rather introspective and prone to musing, even though I must admit that Hamlet is quite a bit more verbose and long winded. Hamlet and the Dude are also rather prone to sarcasm, passive aggressiveness, and you can question the sanity of both. And trust me, Hamlet was created as entertainment just as much as Postal 2 was. That satisfy you, or am I supposed to argue that it is art in some other way than proper artistic analysis?

How are they the same and why are you jumping through silly hoops to justify your purchase?
    Here is a definition of art:
    1. the products of human creativity; works of art collectively
    How does Postal 2 not fit this description? I do not think anyone can say that RWS is not creative at the very least.

Your problem, I think, is that you believe the term "art" when applied to a work naturally applies a sense of quality or worth. Well, art is in the eye of the beholder, and if you believe one man's work of art is not of quality that is a perfectly fair position for you to take. But even then it is still art, even if you do not think highly of it, even if you do not feel it to be "fine art". It is not necessarily a mark of quality.

I do find Postal 2's message and themes to be of merit, but you can simply see it as a bit of violent escapist fantasy if you wish. But please, do not try and build these arbitrary walls about something as broad as artistic human expression when you have done little to show you have actual comprehensive understanding of it.
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 05 April 2013, 02:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    I have stated examples of Postal's artistic qualities. All you have you done is bluster and make sweeping proclamations with nothing to back up your claims. It is you that keeps on going "na-uh it is not art".

Art is a concentrated form of human expression. Postal is most definitely expressive. Actually learn what art is before you feel able to actually debate on it.
    I'm not the one trying to justify his purchase of postal 2 by calling it art. You are and you have not supported your argument.

How is the Postal Dude's nihilism all that different than Hamlet's musings on death during the famous graveyard scene?
    Please enlighten us, how is the Dude comparable to the Bard's Hamlet.

How are his observations on all that is wrong around him any different than the Danish prince's?
    How are they the same and why are you jumping through silly hoops to justify your purchase?

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    If Postal is art, then support your argument beyond the playground "na-uh it's art" derp.
    I have stated examples of Postal's artistic qualities. All you have you done is bluster and make sweeping proclamations with nothing to back up your claims. It is you that keeps on going "na-uh it is not art".

Art is a concentrated form of human expression. Postal is most definitely expressive. Actually learn what art is before you feel able to actually debate on it.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    How is the Postal Dude's nihilism all that different than Hamlet's musings on death during the famous graveyard scene? How are his observations on all that is wrong around him any different than the Danish prince's?
    If Postal is art, then support your argument beyond the playground "na-uh it's art" derp.

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Ah yes, the tired old argument that tries to make arbitrary barriers onto human expression. Tell me, what does the Mona Lisa mean to you? What about it fulfills artistic requirements that Postal lacks (forethought, expression, message, form, craftsmanship, continuity)? Or are you merely buying these simplistic socially enforced walls and the closed-minded prudery promoted through social conditioning simply because you dare not think of it on your own? How is the Postal Dude's nihilism all that different than Hamlet's musings on death during the famous graveyard scene? How are his observations on all that is wrong around him any different than the Danish prince's?

Stop being so up yourself that you tear down a person's work simply because it does not fulfill your own narrow-minded rules. There is more to art than reputation and patronage, and you are being too pig-headed to grasp it.

EDIT: By the way, the ability to offend is an artistic quality just as much as film making you sad or a painting making you uplifted. Again, your narrow-mindedness is telling.
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 01 April 2013, 01:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by icculus View Post
    Fwiw, the "Fag Hunter" arcade machine was patched out after the original retail release, because RWS decided it went too far. It wasn't a mini-game, just a texture on an arcade machine. Is it really there in the Steam version? If it's really back, let me know and I'll remove it today.
    Can't help you there, I only have the lgp version.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Now, you can say that it was included in the Fudge Pack, but RWS specifically labelled that those were fan made productions and do not reflect them. You keep digging yourself.
    It's being offensive for the sake of being offensive.

You are just being deliberate dense if you people can say that Half-Life is art but Postal has nothing to offer other than bashing cops on the head (which is still fun).
    This is art:

These are piles of dirt:

Please, learn to tell the difference.

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    You can actually get that by using the latest version of the AWP mod with it, although that is not as good as what is done in the Steam version as they have improved it since then.

Leave a comment:

• Ansla
    replied
    +1 for having it on Desura as well (when it's done, no need to slow you down in the development, just don't keep the wide-screen support Steam exclusive).

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by icculus View Post
    Honestly, each custom build I have to make for another distributor is less time I have to make real improvements to the game. It's a problem every game developer faces, and Desura has to really start making it compelling for developers to target them, or they're going to get (ahem) steamrolled.
    Well, for the longest time what Desura did that Steam wouldn't was actually selling Postal...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X