X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MetalGeek
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Yeap, sounds about the way it went for me as well. Though I'm on openSUSE usually, with a few Gentoo installs where it actually makes sense (embedded/single-task devices).
    Agreed although I'm a Mint user with the occasional CentOS server. An OS is a tool that enables me to use my computer for a defined set of tasks, nothing more. I grew tired a long time ago of my tools requiring too much assembly or not being the right tool for the job. I'm still in Windows 7 most of the time for those exact reasons (work and play) but I use Linux when/where I can and support vendors that do the same.

Leave a comment:

• jayrulez
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Hold on... How are any of those posts bashing Ubuntu users? Please explain. I think it is plainly obvious that in all cases it was said that it wasnt all users, but rather an unavoidable subset of users that tend to be attracted to Ubuntu. That it is not a bad thing, but rather that it is a good thing. How is that bashing in any way?

You made the claim now you need to back it up.
    Reading from your previous posts and from my observation, people with your line of reasoning tend to be retards. Of course, not everyone that reasons like you is a retard. However, there is an unavoidable subset of people like you who are. This is not a bad thing though, everyone is entitled have different opinions and make different choices (in most countries).

I am not bashing you are anyone like you. I'm just highlighting an observation.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    That may be true, but in the end it was Ubuntu they chose to implement on. But it works fine on Gentoo so I really don't mind.
    They chose to run it on Ubuntu because it's generally considered to be the most popular. If Ubuntu and Canonical didn't exist it would be Mageia or something else... so no even though they built it on Ubuntu it would have come anyway.

Leave a comment:

• halfmanhalfamazing
    replied
    Bought and paid for

That isnt the real question though.... Heres the real one....

What's the benefit of sticking to 32bit when a 64bit multilib system can still support 32bit?
    The benefit is a computer which I already own. Sure, I have a few 64bit computers around, but the last 32 bit computer that's left fits its purpose just fine, so I have no reason to plunk down any cash for a new one. It will eventually see itself pushed out in the next round of hardware upgrades, but that's not any time soon.

Plenty of the 32 bit x86 computers are not lacking in horsepower, you may be surprised to learn. You can browse the internet on them, play movies and music, and many of your typical office applications are not strenuous tasks for which your old 32 bit computer will laugh at you when you attempt to do these things. Often times, you can do many of these tasks simultaneously. And if the said 32 bit system in question happens to have a half way decent video card in it, it can still serve you as a game station. There's no reason to completely drop support yet.
    Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 18 March 2013, 05:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Fixed that for you. Yes there were really early builds before Windows 8 came out but given the state the Beta was in it's pretty clear it was more or less just being kicked around as a pet project until 8 showed up. Which means it's not due to a "We Love Linux" response but a "We hate Windows 8" response.
    That may be true, but in the end it was Ubuntu they chose to implement on. But it works fine on Gentoo so I really don't mind.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    nah... I say let em come... The bigger the userbase the better. Even if the usebase is completely retarded it doesnt matter, they can use their distro and we can use ours.
    As can be plainly read I said that -if- a userbase was completely retarded they can still use the distro of their choice. I didnt say that there -were- all completely retarded.. I just made a hypothetical statement. If you are incapable of understanding context then that is your fault. If you read more into what was said then what was actually said then that is your fault.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not calling Ubuntu users retarded. Instead I'm saying that a certain percentage of any userbase is going to be retarded, and lets face it, most of that group will be using Ubuntu.

I guess as a function of its target market it simply attracts a larger percentage of retarded users than other distributions. Before Ubuntu it was Mandrake. It simply is a matter of what retarded people think is going to be the easiest to use. And I'm not saying that retarded users are bad... As a matter of fact I welcome them. The bigger the userbase the better, retarded or not.

I will stick to the distro I prefer and their presence will attract more software development which I can benefit from and I still won't have to deal with any of them. It isnt like Windows where you only get what you're given... I can use what I prefer and they can use what they prefer.... And in the end when software and games are made available that wouldnt have otherwise we all benefit.
    Again obviously I stated beyond the shadow of a doubt that I wasnt refering to all Ubuntu users. Simply a subset of those users that tend to be attracted to it due to the market that Ubuntu targets. If you want to use Ubuntu, then please feel free to do so... It was MADE for you.... How is your choice to use what you want to use in any way considered bashing? I suppose you think that if your choice was taken away you would think that was -cool- huh?

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
    It's still somewhat of an offensive phrase. I prefer to put it this way: "Ubuntu is the AOL of Linux". Or as the joke goes: "What's the difference between an Ubuntu user and an AOL user? Ten years. "
    How was this considered bashing? He simply made a comparison to a completely different product that was targeted at the same type of user. It is a perfectly valid comparison... If you don't like it then that is your problem.. Facts are still going to be facts whether you like them or not.

Of course I respect it. The best thing about Linux is that they are free to choose what they want. If people want to choose Ubuntu then they can feel free to do so, and the more the merrier. I' would love to see market share rise significantly. If people like you choose to shun linux because of its diversity then don't blame me... That is your opinion not mine.... The more people that choose to use Ubuntu or any distro the better it is for everyone.

I welcome diversity. I'd love to see more of it. Diversity comes in all forms... Retards and Geniuses. Biased and Unbiased. There is nothing you or I can do about it that is just the way it is.

It doesnt mean that the majority of Ubuntu users are retarded... Quite the contrary as a matter of fact... But it does mean the the majority of retarded users are Ubuntu users. If for no other reason than it is the easiest distro and most commonly available one. I say so be it, retarded or not they are perfectly welcome.
    So you mean to tell me that defending someones choice to use whatever they prefer to use is in some way considered bashing? You have to be one of the most illiterate jackholes I've ever run into on any forum. You seem to be completely incapable of comprehending context.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by akincer View Post
    I specifically said "Ubuntu user". Specifically, comments 8, 10, 17, 30 and 33.
    Hold on... How are any of those posts bashing Ubuntu users? Please explain. I think it is plainly obvious that in all cases it was said that it wasnt all users, but rather an unavoidable subset of users that tend to be attracted to Ubuntu. That it is not a bad thing, but rather that it is a good thing. How is that bashing in any way?

You made the claim now you need to back it up.

Leave a comment:

• DebianLinuxero
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    It's somewhat annoying to me that the major distros even keep making 32-bit x86 releases. I was likewise annoyed that Windows didn't go 64-bit only by Win8, or even as far ago as Vista. OSX is the only major OS that only ships a 64-bit only OS these days.
    There's a lot of Netbooks and Nettops that have Intel Atom CPUs (which have a lot of 32 bit models).

Now I'm writting this on an Asus EEE Top with an Intel Atom N270 (32 bit) on Debian GNU/Linux 7.0.

This machine originally was shipped with Windows XP Home; and the performance was poor.
    I change that partition to Windows 8 and now it goes rather well.

Intel also released its "Core Duo" after Pentium IV and before "Core 2 Duo".
    Core Duo is a capable proccesor, but it's 32 bit too.

So, there's still market for such proccesors. Maybe not for gaming but for desktop.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by IanS View Post
    I've been using Linux for a while now; I tested Slackware out a bit in the late 90's, started dual-booting around '05 and moved to Linux exclusively early in '08. I have jumped around to a dozen or so distros but spent the most time on Mint and Arch. I am comfortable with the command line, build my own computers, used to set up my own DE based around Openbox and I have a bit of experience with coding in a few languages. So I have been around a while and am not scared of getting my hands dirty under the hood, yet I choose to run Kubuntu full time now because it cuts out all the hassle and just works. While there is some fun to be had in setting everything up by hand and getting exactly what you want from a set up it comes at the cost of a fair bit of time and frustrations that are better spent on getting actual work done.
    Yeap, sounds about the way it went for me as well. Though I'm on openSUSE usually, with a few Gentoo installs where it actually makes sense (embedded/single-task devices).

Leave a comment:

• Ancurio
    replied
    Originally posted by akincer View Post
    All of this Ubuntu user bashing is not particularly helpful and pretty silly. I get it that you have plenty of contempt for Canonical for a variety of reasons, but at the end of the day, Ubuntu has brought quite a few people into the Linux fold that were never there before and arguably never would have been without it.

For reasons that are debatable, it keeps bringing in new people at a rate MUCH higher than other distros. There's nothing stopping any of the other distros from doing this job better and yet they haven't been able to accomplish this so far. I'm not going to debate why this might be, but I will point out that there will ALWAYS be a need for distros that try to make Linux as easy as possible for people that want minimal effort to do very basic things with their computer.

Arch may very well be awesome for you, but there's lots of people that will never EVER use it and that's just fine. There will always be a distro like Arch for you regardless of whether or not there always is a distro like Ubuntu.
    The way Ubuntu does this is by actually not proclaiming that it's Linux.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X