X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Have you tried running any common desktop apps on that configuration? You can't even have a decent browsing experience on that since you'll negate any gains on the CPU side with the massive amount of paging out to the HDD.
    The common overhead of 64bit is quoted as 10% more RAM/binary size. If 10% pushes your browser over to swap, that just means you need to switch to a 10% more efficient browser

(Number could be higher for browsers, if you have links please share.)

Leave a comment:

• JanC
    replied
    Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
    Netbooks...
    Almost all up until quite recently, and even now a significant proportion of the damn things.
    Admittedly a lot have PowerVR graphics and are a nuisance to use Linux on anyway, but there are still a lot of potential and actual users there.
    Even on netbooks that have a 64-bit CPU you probably don't want a 64-bit OS, as they usually only have 1 GiB of RAM (and part of that is unavailable because it's used by the GPU).

Leave a comment:

• JanC
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Try installing 32 bit boost libs in a 64 bit ubuntu. That's their multi arch support. (On archlinux it simply goes in /usr/lib32 and it works.)
    AFAIK the Boost library packages haven't implemented multiarch yet, but once somebody does that, it should be possible to install i386/amd64/armhf/etc. packages in parallel... (I'd expect more work on multiarch after Debian 7 gets released.)

Leave a comment:

• Bucic
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    blah fuckity blah blah...
    Well said

Leave a comment:

• VoodooSyxx
    replied
    Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
    What benefits does a 64bit OS have over a 32bit PAE enabled kernel ???
    Glad somebody asked that, actually. As has been already stated PAE adds a lot of unnecessary overhead. More importantly though, PAE or not, a 32bit application can never access more than 2GB of RAM. Depending on what you do with your desktop, you may not care. On a server though, with things like MySQL that need to be pushed into RAM as much as possible, that absolutely sucks. Anyway, PAE is most definitely not the silver bullet many people like to think it is.

Leave a comment:

• PeterKraus
    replied
    Originally posted by Kirurgs View Post
    And in real life on a laptop that would be?
    Not measurable..., yes, that's what I was seeking for
    You're an idiot.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Leave a comment:

• Kirurgs
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    PAE is a hack that adds a lot of overhead.
    And in real life on a laptop that would be?
    Not measurable..., yes, that's what I was seeking for

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
    PAE is a hack that adds a lot of overhead.

Leave a comment:

• DDF420
    replied
    Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
    What's the benefit of 64bit if you have less than 4GB RAM on your system?

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    well what we're taking issue with is your statement of us having Ubuntu to thank for bringing it when that's so very clearly not the case.

Otherwise you're right in that it doesn't really matter what it was developed for as it works everywhere.
    Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that it is because Ubuntu exists that Steam was ported. Just that it was what it was ported to... So thank god for Ubuntu. If it was some other distro I would be saying the same thing about it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X