Valve Reveals More Steam Linux Distribution Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
    You didn't specifically call him a retard, but you definitely singled him out: "Reading from your previous posts and from my observation"

It would be different if you had said something along the lines of "Reading this thread/forum, from my observation...are generally retards", but that's not what you said. Even if you had said "posts from people like you" it would be singling him out, because you are indirectly saying that he is like those who you would consider a retard. Whereas, he is simply saying that a subset of Ubuntu users are retards (which, honestly, I don't think is much better than what you rhetorically said), which isn't singling a single person out, but...calling a person a retard is calling them a retard, no matter how you put it.

I can see how someone who uses Ubuntu could be offended by that statement, especially after he said that's who Ubuntu is targeting, since that could be interpreted as "since you use Ubuntu, you must like what retards like, so you are a retard". That's obviously not what he's saying, but it's a good idea to re-read what you're about to say before you post, and, if you aren't sure whether it may be offensive or not, maybe have someone else read it too.
    Your whole post is based on a simple misunderstanding. I did not say i did not single him out. I said I did not single or call him out as a retard. Does your post still hold water after basing it on the whole of what I said rather than an extract?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      That isnt the real question though.... Heres the real one....
      No, that was the real question, I use 32-bit on 2 Athlon64 boxes that only have 2Gb of ram, for some strange reason I have had a very hard time dumpster diving computers to find more ram, I blame the news for running so many stories a while back on what metals are in the damn things, now instead of finding them with their wiring torn out and nothing else wrong with the parts themselves I don't find them at all anymore.

I've seen junkers that used to only pick up anything with any metals other then steel or iron unless it was something really big like an old cast iron bath tub for scrap, they used to just open computer cases and cut the power supply and data wires out. Now I see all kinds of electronics in their trucks as well as occasionally see piles of plastic housings and CRT tubes in alleys.

I'd like to see an X32 version of Mint, so I can have my cake and eat it too.
      Last edited by Kivada; 18 March 2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Even if you had 512mb of RAM, running 64bit would make sense for the performance (extra registers).
        Have you tried running any common desktop apps on that configuration? You can't even have a decent browsing experience on that since you'll negate any gains on the CPU side with the massive amount of paging out to the HDD.

Comment

I already addressed your point, specifically:

Originally posted by Nobu
          You didn't specifically call him a retard
          And if you would read my post with a bit more intent to understand:

Originally posted by Nobu
          it would be singling him out, because you are indirectly saying that he is like those who you would consider a retard
          In other words, you're post could easily be interpreted as you calling him (and those like him), specifically, a retard, even though that is not exactly what you said. See the end of my last post.

Comment

I already addressed your point, specifically:

And if you would read my post with a bit more intent to understand:

In other words, you're post could easily be interpreted as you calling him (and those like him), specifically, a retard, even though that is not exactly what you said. See the end of my last post.
            What was the point of your previous post?

Just to say it could be interpreted either way?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              That may be true, but in the end it was Ubuntu they chose to implement on. But it works fine on Gentoo so I really don't mind.
              No, Ubuntu was simply the largest target, it could have just as easily been Fedora, SuSE or any other distro that historically had at one time or another been the distro with the largest number of desktop users at a given time. Ubuntu just happened to be the distro with the most users this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                I'm pretty sure the discussion was about why people use 32-bit OSs on x86_64 processors.
                Not all of it. But in any event, I apologize for the misreading.

Comment

It was to say, that you could be seen as calling him a retard (rhetorically, of course), just as easily as he could be seen as calling all Ubuntu users retards.

Comment

It was to say, that you could be seen as calling him a retard (rhetorically, of course), just as easily as he could be seen as calling all Ubuntu users retards.
                    Yea, that was the intention.

Comment

Except that your whole premise is wrong to begin with. I never said that all ubuntu users are retards.. As a matter of fact I specifically clarified that point. It certainly isnt my fault that you arent capable of comprehending what was written or the context in which it was written.

Comment

Working...
                      X