Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought and paid for

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    That isnt the real question though.... Heres the real one....

What's the benefit of sticking to 32bit when a 64bit multilib system can still support 32bit?
    The benefit is a computer which I already own. Sure, I have a few 64bit computers around, but the last 32 bit computer that's left fits its purpose just fine, so I have no reason to plunk down any cash for a new one. It will eventually see itself pushed out in the next round of hardware upgrades, but that's not any time soon.

Plenty of the 32 bit x86 computers are not lacking in horsepower, you may be surprised to learn. You can browse the internet on them, play movies and music, and many of your typical office applications are not strenuous tasks for which your old 32 bit computer will laugh at you when you attempt to do these things. Often times, you can do many of these tasks simultaneously. And if the said 32 bit system in question happens to have a half way decent video card in it, it can still serve you as a game station. There's no reason to completely drop support yet.
    Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 18 March 2013, 05:00 PM.

Comment

That may be true, but in the end it was Ubuntu they chose to implement on. But it works fine on Gentoo so I really don't mind.
      They chose to run it on Ubuntu because it's generally considered to be the most popular. If Ubuntu and Canonical didn't exist it would be Mageia or something else... so no even though they built it on Ubuntu it would have come anyway.

Comment

Hold on... How are any of those posts bashing Ubuntu users? Please explain. I think it is plainly obvious that in all cases it was said that it wasnt all users, but rather an unavoidable subset of users that tend to be attracted to Ubuntu. That it is not a bad thing, but rather that it is a good thing. How is that bashing in any way?

You made the claim now you need to back it up.
        Reading from your previous posts and from my observation, people with your line of reasoning tend to be retards. Of course, not everyone that reasons like you is a retard. However, there is an unavoidable subset of people like you who are. This is not a bad thing though, everyone is entitled have different opinions and make different choices (in most countries).

I am not bashing you are anyone like you. I'm just highlighting an observation.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Yeap, sounds about the way it went for me as well. Though I'm on openSUSE usually, with a few Gentoo installs where it actually makes sense (embedded/single-task devices).
          Agreed although I'm a Mint user with the occasional CentOS server. An OS is a tool that enables me to use my computer for a defined set of tasks, nothing more. I grew tired a long time ago of my tools requiring too much assembly or not being the right tool for the job. I'm still in Windows 7 most of the time for those exact reasons (work and play) but I use Linux when/where I can and support vendors that do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
            The benefit is a computer which I already own. Sure, I have a few 64bit computers around, but the last 32 bit computer that's left fits its purpose just fine, so I have no reason to plunk down any cash for a new one. It will eventually see itself pushed out in the next round of hardware upgrades, but that's not any time soon.

Plenty of the 32 bit x86 computers are not lacking in horsepower, you may be surprised to learn. You can browse the internet on them, play movies and music, and many of your typical office applications are not strenuous tasks for which your old 32 bit computer will laugh at you when you attempt to do these things. Often times, you can do many of these tasks simultaneously. And if the said 32 bit system in question happens to have a half way decent video card in it, it can still serve you as a game station. There's no reason to completely drop support yet.
            I'm pretty sure the discussion was about why people use 32-bit OSs on x86_64 processors.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post

Well obviously. If your cpu isnt capable of 64bit then you need to use 32bit. But there is no chance that these high of numbers represent only 32bit cpus. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of these 32bit installs are on 64bit capable cpus.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                Reading from your previous posts and from my observation, people with your line of reasoning tend to be retards. Of course, not everyone that reasons like you is a retard. However, there is an unavoidable subset of people like you who are. This is not a bad thing though, everyone is entitled have different opinions and make different choices (in most countries).

I am not bashing you are anyone like you. I'm just highlighting an observation.
                The difference between me and you is that I didnt call anyone out as being retarded. So really who here is the retarded one?

Comment

The difference between me and you is that I didnt call anyone out as being retarded. So really who here is the retarded one?
                  I didn't single or call anyone out as being retarded.
                  "If you are incapable of understanding context then that is your fault. If you read more into what was said then what was actually said then that is your fault."

Comment

So you really don't know how to understand what was written. Whats worse is that you don't even know how to understand what -you- wrote... If you are incapable of understanding context then that really is your fault.

Comment

You didn't specifically call him a retard, but you definitely singled him out: "Reading from your previous posts and from my observation"

It would be different if you had said something along the lines of "Reading this thread/forum, from my observation...are generally retards", but that's not what you said. Even if you had said "posts from people like you" it would be singling him out, because you are indirectly saying that he is like those who you would consider a retard. Whereas, he is simply saying that a subset of Ubuntu users are retards (which, honestly, I don't think is much better than what you rhetorically said), which isn't singling a single person out, but...calling a person a retard is calling them a retard, no matter how you put it.

I can see how someone who uses Ubuntu could be offended by that statement, especially after he said that's who Ubuntu is targeting, since that could be interpreted as "since you use Ubuntu, you must like what retards like, so you are a retard". That's obviously not what he's saying, but it's a good idea to re-read what you're about to say before you post, and, if you aren't sure whether it may be offensive or not, maybe have someone else read it too.

Comment

Working...
                      X