Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Now On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andy_v View Post
    Wait, wasn't that addressed in the 13.1 legacy driver?
    Uh, I really hope so, indeed I haven't updated for some time now because Fedora always tries
    to remove my drivers due to a kernel update. I guess the akmod should mitigate that though...
    I'll try and report back, thanks for the tip.

Comment

Since the Left 4 Dead games are obviously gonna be released for Linux at some point, and there's currently a deal that only lasts for this week, I bought them in a bundle that includes both for 5.24? (you can also just buy one of them for 3.49?.) If anyone's interested, the deal ends in two days (March 18) and is here:

Set in the zombie apocalypse, Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2) is the highly anticipated sequel to the award-winning Left 4 Dead, the #1 co-op game of 2008. This co-operative action horror FPS takes you and your friends through the cities, swamps and cemeteries of the Deep South, from Savannah to New Orleans across five expansive campaigns.

Hopefully they'll pop-up in the Linux library soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        Uh, I really hope so, indeed I haven't updated for some time now because Fedora always tries
        to remove my drivers due to a kernel update. I guess the akmod should mitigate that though...
        I'll try and report back, thanks for the tip.
        Or try mesa, they have it for all gallium drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Since the Left 4 Dead games are obviously gonna be released for Linux at some point, and there's currently a deal that only lasts for this week, I bought them in a bundle that includes both for 5.24? (you can also just buy one of them for 3.49?.) If anyone's interested, the deal ends in two days (March 18) and is here:

Set in the zombie apocalypse, Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2) is the highly anticipated sequel to the award-winning Left 4 Dead, the #1 co-op game of 2008. This co-operative action horror FPS takes you and your friends through the cities, swamps and cemeteries of the Deep South, from Savannah to New Orleans across five expansive campaigns.

Just wanted to point out that it seems like Valve put all the characters and campaigns from the first L4D into L4D2. So, unless I'm mistaken, you basically get L4D free when you buy L4D2. I'm not sure if anything is missing, but maybe someone knows? Either way, the games are so cheap it's worthwhile to just buy both.

Comment

Originally posted by andy_v View Post
            Wait, wasn't that addressed in the 13.1 legacy driver?
            Hmm, just updated to the latest legacy driver from rpmfusion (3.7.9-104) and nothing has changed,
            still no sRGB_decode extension.. well screw that -_-

Originally posted by droste
            Or try mesa, they have it for all gallium drivers.
            My comp is waaay to weak for software rendering, I can barely play newer titles
            on low settings / resolution.

Comment

My comp is waaay to weak for software rendering, I can barely play newer titles
              on low settings / resolution.
              I assume he talks about the gallium (mesa) driver r600g, which does hardware rendering.

Comment

Hmm, just updated to the latest legacy driver from rpmfusion (3.7.9-104) and nothing has changed,
                still no sRGB_decode extension.. well screw that -_-
                Then rpmfusion doesn't have the latest driver. I played CSM with HD4650 with latest legacy driver just fine. Actually, it wasn't that fine since the fglrx driver sucks anyway and it had almost non-stop fps drops and was unplayable.
                I wonder if it works better with open-source drivers. Haven't tried those. Does anywone have any comparative figures on fglrx legacy/radeonhd on Source games?

Comment

Great idea, and thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by z0id View Post
                    Then rpmfusion doesn't have the latest driver. I played CSM with HD4650 with latest legacy driver just fine. Actually, it wasn't that fine since the fglrx driver sucks anyway and it had almost non-stop fps drops and was unplayable.
                    I wonder if it works better with open-source drivers. Haven't tried those. Does anywone have any comparative figures on fglrx legacy/radeonhd on Source games?
                    It does after all, but only for Fedora 18 clients (I'm still on 17). However, the new Xorg
                    version in 18 doesn't seem to work correctly with fglrx legacy and has to be downgraded,
                    so I'm rather lucky that I'm still on 17 and didn't have to do that too. Then I just followed
                    the instructions here and finally got it working. Now the sRGB_decode extension is here
                    and I can play!

Comment

OK, it's down. I fired it up aaand... there are no servers. It only lists one. In the whole world. With no players in it. Nobody plays this game anymore. I must admit that's kinda useless :-P
                      At the time of release, the Linux client was already enrolled in the SteamPipe beta - and the Windows version didn't have the Steampipe beta available until hours later. That's why there wasn't anyone on immediately after its release.

Comment

Working...
                      X