Valve's Day of Defeat Released For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    I think I can determine what I choose to boycott on my own thanks. And one of the requirements I place on buying a game is that I should not have to do anything illegal to get the thing working the way I want it to considering I had legally purchased it.

I am not against DRM for self-serving interests (as you say, the people who want grab the games for free can still get them) but for the fact it imposes unfair restrictions on me the gamer. Again, see my previous point.
    What do you have in mind that Steam doesn't allow?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      What do you have in mind that Steam doesn't allow?
      I do not want my games to be tied to a client that forces me to login to use it (especially when it places restraints on how many computers can play them).

No one can claim it does not have DRM, and as long as it does, I am not going to use it. I am not saying you can't use it, nor have I come here to rain on anyone's parade, but you can not dismiss my reasons for not using Steam simply because you do not share them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
        I do not want my games to be tied to a client that forces me to login to use it (especially when it places restraints on how many computers can play them).

No one can claim it does not have DRM, and as long as it does, I am not going to use it. I am not saying you can't use it, nor have I come here to rain on anyone's parade, but you can not dismiss my reasons for not using Steam simply because you do not share them.
        I have the games on several computers and they work just fine. Also, they work fine in offline mode too, where I don't need to log in.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I have the games on several computers and they work just fine. Also, they work fine in offline mode too, where I don't need to log in.
          Yes you do. You need to log in locally, but you still need to log in. Which is ridiculous when all you want to launch is a level editor, for instance. You are still required to load the entire Steam binary and wait for the checking mechanism to load each time you try to launch it.

There are some games on Steam that are truly DRM-free, but it still leaves a plenty of problems with Steam that are not DRM-related.

Comment

Steam DRM manifests itself in requiring to log in to install your games. It also potentially imposes some regional restrictions with that. All that should not be acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Steam DRM manifests itself in requiring to log in to install your games. It also potentially imposes some regional restrictions with that. All that should not be acceptable.
              Well, apparently it is acceptable, since most people actually like Steam. What is acceptable is determined by whether people accept it. And it's being accepted, therefore it's acceptable :-) And of course people are free to not agree. When I start Steam, I view it like a runtime of sorts, not as some intrusive DRM mechanism. But then, I generally disagree that all DRM is bad. I do not believe in generalizations because they never provide arguments that stand the test of common logic.

Comment

We disagree conceptually. I view DRM as unethical (any kind of DRM, even if it's minimal). So even if it's not very obtrusive - I prefer not to support distributors who use it.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  It always amazes me how in this forum people (think to) know who i am and what i do....oh well, it's Phoronix

Wrong, i play 10 year old games...Wolfenstein : Enemy Territory for starters....i'm even making a mod for it but won't be available for the public in general for several reasons...only for me and some friends...

....and yes, i play also *25* old games from the Spectrum era
                  I still have one of those things...and a Amiga 500
                  I didn't talk to you, if you could whipe that white foam from your mouth and calm down you would be able to read posts instead of just assuming stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    Left4Dead 2. I cannot wait for it to be released!
                    same. In the meantime I'm playing KillingFloor.

Comment

Some great gameplay video's in the comments here: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...for-linux.1835

Comment

Working...
                      X