Valve's Day of Defeat Released For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Yes, I mean to download install and play without any client. I don't buy games otherwise (in order not to support DRM).
    You know what's worse than easy to by-pass DRM'd native games on Linux? No games on Linux. I hate even easy DRM too, but this is as good as it gets with mainstream content. I'm am thrilled as wallaby on pure Colombian coke to get TF:2, CS:Source, Killing Floor, and eventually Portal and L4D2. I've even started logging hours into Champions of Regnum (and actually tossed them $10 - this is a free to play MMORPG).

And Steam DRM is a real joke (as said earlier in the thread). It's for my idiot friends who are too dim to learn the location of games on their FS and copy over cracked files and too lazy to take 5 minutes searching Google for said crack/patch. But given a button that says 'Download free game, fuck the devs who put their time into it' they would in a heartbeat. It's difficult for geeks like us to comprehend such people . If I didn't know these people personally, I wouldn't have thought they existed. But they are out there and in very large numbers Shitty for society but great for capitalism :< And now good for Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Linux likely isn't ready enough for games like HL2 without at least 1 driver having serious bugs, so they can build up a collection of games, show linux is a decent gaming market share, and have companies like AMD take their drivers more seriously.
      Drivers? No, they have dozens of bugs to fix in H-L2 itself

Comment

i always like to play these games and now they are coming with new see nice .

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
          ....but scaling makes a performance hit .
          I?m pretty sure a 640?480 3D game resized to 1280?960 will in most cases be rendered faster than the same game in ?normal? 1280?960. I wished Skyrim had such an option when I had to play in a tiny 800?600 window?

Now if you meant it makes a performance hit compared to basic fullscreen, probably (if only a tiny performance hit), but when fullscreen mode is unusable that?s not really a point.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
            I’m pretty sure a 640?480 3D game resized to 1280?960 will in most cases be rendered faster than the same game in “normal” 1280?960. I wished Skyrim had such an option when I had to play in a tiny 800?600 window…

Now if you meant it makes a performance hit compared to basic fullscreen, probably (if only a tiny performance hit), but when fullscreen mode is unusable that’s not really a point.
            Well, yeah, 1280x960 is twice the pixels in horizontal and in vertical compared with 640x480 (for a total of 4x pixels ) and scales perfectly, so, yeah not a big deal as performance hit....

...but same won't happen if the native res is 1280x1024....

However, the real problem is that in many games running in 640x480 res you loose too much detail or the game doesn't even allows it as minimum res so you have to use 800x600 or 1024x768 as minimum and then scaling it to 1280x960 and in special to 1280x1024 will have a more noticeable performance hit and also a quality hit.

Comment

Originally posted by jan1024188 View Post
              Well I'm glad they are doing it, but I see no point in porting 10 years old game over...nobody plays that. I would love to see DotA2 on Linux more than any other game.
              wrong. YOU don't play 10 year old games.

I do. I bought HalfLife since I never played it as it was never available for Linux.

I've also some other 'old' games (got those before I went to Linux) (Conflict: FreeSpace, Starlancer, Star Trek Armada/Armada II) that are old but just awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                wrong. YOU don't play 10 year old games.

I do. I bought HalfLife since I never played it as it was never available for Linux.

I've also some other 'old' games (got those before I went to Linux) (Conflict: FreeSpace, Starlancer, Star Trek Armada/Armada II) that are old but just awesome.
                It always amazes me how in this forum people (think to) know who i am and what i do....oh well, it's Phoronix

Wrong, i play 10 year old games...Wolfenstein : Enemy Territory for starters....i'm even making a mod for it but won't be available for the public in general for several reasons...only for me and some friends...

....and yes, i play also *25* old games from the Spectrum era
                I still have one of those things...and a Amiga 500

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
                  Drivers? No, they have dozens of bugs to fix in H-L2 itself
                  I bought Serious Sam 3 on linux.

The grass and the leafs on trees flicker when I move.
                  So I went to the steam forums, and asked for help.

A developer tried to help me, but to keep this short, its a problem with the catalyst driver.
                  Now I have posted, on the Amd forums.

I am very happy with Valve. Were would I complain about this without Valve?
                  AMD promised Valve they would listen.
                  (first pinned topic)

And about that drm. You can install your games on more then one pc. You just can't play both versions at the same time. And that's without any hacks.

Some of the game studios however add more drm shit, but that's not because of Valve.

Teamfortress 2, I can see the progress happening. It did run well the first time I tried, but now, wow!

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                    (...) so you have to use 800x600 or 1024x768 as minimum and then scaling it to 1280x960 and in special to 1280x1024 will have a more noticeable performance hit and also a quality hit.
                    Nowadays games routinely use 1024?1024 textures, so I don?t think drawing one more polygon with a texture of such a size will affect the framerate as much as you believe it does (maybe someone who uses SDL2 can show us some numbers?). Also, the quality hit should not be different to the quality hit you get when your LCD monitor scales the picture by itself.

Comment

Great...

Great, another multiplayer FPS for Linux. Two, in fact! If there's one type of game Linux doesn't have enough of, it's multiplayer FPSes.

Yes indeed, the Linux community really needs to stop making singleplayer FPSes, racing games, fighting games and sports sims; and instead focus our attention on the oft-neglected genre of "run around shooting other people in arenas". I mean, nobody EVER gets tired of that.

Sarcasm aside, I had my hopes up when you said "WW2 shooter", and then they were totally dashed when I saw in the description "Multiplayer". Valve, I appreciate the value you've given to Linux gaming, but can you please give us some gaming experiences we can't replicate a hundred times over in open-source? Give us a serious car racing game! Or a flight combat sim. Or a team sport sim. Just write something that we haven't already got on Linux, polish it up to commercial-quality and release it. That would be nice. You'd probably make a decent amount of money, too, as it's not like cheapskates can just play an open-source equivalent like they can with Open Arena, AssaultCube, Tremulous, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X