Valve's Day of Defeat Released For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
    If you mean without running the client, you can buy them from their website (steampowered.com), but you'll need the client to download, install or play them.
    Yes, I mean to download install and play without any client. I don't buy games otherwise (in order not to support DRM).

Comment

Nice. Valve's SDL2 games work so brilliantly with window management and fullscreen mode, I wish all of the Steam Linux games used it. I hate dealing with fullscreen mode in so many of the games.
      Can you elaborate? I would like to know more about SDL2 but can't be arsed to go out and read about it.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Yes, I mean to download install and play without any client. I don't buy games otherwise (in order not to support DRM).
        Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          Can you elaborate? I would like to know more about SDL2 but can't be arsed to go out and read about it.
          They don't do any actual display resizing under any circumstance. Instead, they display to the full resolution of your primary display in what I'm assuming is a fullscreen, borderless window. If you set a lower-than-native resolution, they still output full resolution but with a smaller frame buffer and scale it up. It makes switching applications absolutely seamless and minimizing and restoring as instant as any windowed app.

Comment

Thanks for explaining SDL2. Now I know, why some steam games don't destroy my desktop by changing resolution. This is really awesome. But doesn't that harm performance?

On topic: Great to see new (=old) games ported to linux. Sure, they're old. But i like, because so you don't have to build up a "linux game collection" if you previously had a "windows game collection". (i hope you understand, what i mean)

Portal and Dota2 are my favourites, but as i read Dota2 for example uses a special version of the source enging, which needs some extra porting.

Comment

Valve games do need Steam. You can't play and/or install them without it.

Comment

Steam isn't really a strong DRM. It's dead-easy to bypass. I'm not gonna mention here how, but you can install Steam, download the games and play them without paying (offline, since most online games have the DRM on the servers and they check your account when you connect.) But many single player games can be illegally downloaded like that.

Steam is really not some form of intrusive DRM. It's mostly comparable to the old days of games having a simple CD-check. If you're looking for DRM methods that trully deserve to be boycotted, you should really look elsewhere (hint: EA with the malware they install before you can play BF3.)

Comment

Originally posted by omglotsofdots View Post
                  Isn't that Conanicals new friend alongway the quiting linux philosophy and picking up the more money strategy. Why this good attitude to them? They don't have gpl license. Btw both mir and unity sucks. Conanical go to hell. Leave the linux world alone. We were better of living in caves with our bash!
                  So, do like me and don't use UBUNTU....Steam now works with many other distros.

Try SLACKWARE (includes KDE and XFCE) or LINUX MINT (in MATE, CINNAMON or XFCE Editions).

Comment

They don't do any actual display resizing under any circumstance. Instead, they display to the full resolution of your primary display in what I'm assuming is a fullscreen, borderless window. If you set a lower-than-native resolution, they still output full resolution but with a smaller frame buffer and scale it up. It makes switching applications absolutely seamless and minimizing and restoring as instant as any windowed app.

....but scaling makes a performance hit .

Comment

Originally posted by jan1024188 View Post
                      Well I'm glad they are doing it, but I see no point in porting 10 years old game over...nobody plays that. I would love to see DotA2 on Linux more than any other game.

You would be surprised with amount of people that plays old games...not to mention the emulation of much much older systems...there are people that likes to play Sinclair ZX Spectrum games....way way older than 10 year old PC games.

Those older Valve tittles are excellent for older or not so powerful rigs....i bet that they play nice in regular HTPCs.

Comment

Working...
                      X