Valve's Day of Defeat Released For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
    Some great gameplay video's in the comments here: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...for-linux.1835
    Thanks for the link. Deathmatch looks a lot more fun than I was expecting; I'll still probably wait for a sale though. The original DoD doesn't look too impressive or fun and the corny voice clips annoyed me. The Source version looks better but still nothing to get excited about.

Comment

I hate DRM

But the truth of the matter is that I'd probably prefer running a game in Steam to one not in it.

It's just plain useful.

1. I no longer have to worry about losing a DVD, or scratching it. My entire games library is available with a click of a button and a network download. Upgrading to a new computer is painless.
      2. I don't have to search the web for the latest updates and patches to the game, it's kept updated automatically.'
      3. I don't have to download sketchy no-cd patches from the web, since everything is on disk and not annoying me.
      4. Save games (optionally) go into the cloud, meaning i can play on 1 machine, then move to another one and pick up right where i left off.

The downsides are:
      1. A lightweight DRM system which i've never once noticed getting in my way.

In other words, there are a lot of concrete reasons to like Steam, and 1 largely theoretical reason to dislike it.

Which isn't to say that you have to agree. I just think that a lot of people might like Steam better than they think if they gave it a fair shake and didn't have their minds made up ahead of time.

Comment

I haven?t found a way to move one game from one steam account to another one.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          1. I no longer have to worry about losing a DVD, or scratching it. My entire games library is available with a click of a button and a network download. Upgrading to a new computer is painless.
          2. I don't have to search the web for the latest updates and patches to the game, it's kept updated automatically.'
          3. I don't have to download sketchy no-cd patches from the web, since everything is on disk and not annoying me.
          4. Save games (optionally) go into the cloud, meaning i can play on 1 machine, then move to another one and pick up right where i left off.
          You know, that sounds awfully familiar... Hmm... Wasn't there something called "Desura" that offered this, and no DRM to boot?

Comment

So you instead have to download sketchy no-steam patches from the web

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              You know, that sounds awfully familiar... Hmm... Wasn't there something called "Desura" that offered this, and no DRM to boot?
              Indeed, and there are others. The argument is not about digital distribution and the advantages that can be achieved by it, but simply the fact that we do not want our games permanently anchored to any one particular client or service (which Desura does not enforce, since once you download the thing it is yours).

Comment

I personally like a lot of the little things that the Steamworks API can add to games, it isn't just for the phone home drm (which is completely optional). Steam overlay, achievements, leader boards, anti-cheat options for online games and Steam workshop integration are all nice little additions. I also like how the Steam client keeps track of how long I have played each game, very sobering to see just how much time I waste on games. The easy access to community elements is handy too. Then the advantages stated elsewhere here such as cloud game save syncing, easy access to game downloads, and no hassle installs and updates. Plus as long as I don't wipe my storage drive where I keep my Steam files I can reinstall my system without reinstalling the games.

Overall Steam is just a very polished gaming library that I enjoy using. The only real complaint I have with it is that it some times takes a bit to load the client and then more time to load certain games (TF2 is one of the worst). Though usually I bunch up most of my gaming into one session a day, so once I launch Steam I leave it open until I am done for the day which takes care of one of those problems. The only other valid complaint I can see is not being able to buy/sell used games. I don't really do that anyhow after leaving Windows years ago and since I usually hold out for 60%+ sales I end up with a lot of games for a minimal investment.
                Last edited by IanS; 16 March 2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

5. It has a large library of games i actually want to play.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    5. It has a large library of games i actually want to play.
                    Steam currently has 136 games, Desura has 260.

Comment

Steam currently has 136 games, Desura has 260.
                      Way to ignore half my post.

Comment

Working...
                      X