X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moilami
    replied
    Originally posted by shadowriver View Post
    Bungie actully buy themselfs out of MS and gone multiplatfrom. They annouced Destiny and Activision will be publisher, it was one of games shown during PS4 annoucment and looking on there site code they plan to go to as much platfrorms as possible Bethesta can come in too, they quite multiplatform, besides they owned by ZeniMax same company that owns longest gaming Linux lover id Software (thru they betrayed Linux with Rage).

SteamBox needs few things to success:

1. Work like console, feel like a console, marketised as a console. If this gonna be just yet another branded PC it won't be anything special and people (Specially console users) won't acknowledge it as Wii U, PS4, Xbox720 (or whatever it will be called) compatition.
    2.User base, this is most impotent thing of them all, not just for console but any platform... Linux is one of victims of that. More user = more developer interest.
    3.Exlusives deals, show that you have better line up then all other consoles, this is what happens during start of generation.... it what happening now, for example Ninendo got exlusive Beyonetta 2, which was quite a hit on Xbox 360 and PS3. Thru i think without it might go to.
    4. Do E3 conference = instant win.... announce Half-life 3 on it early on SteamBox = meltdown, everyone pre-ordering

It's actually good time then ever to make a console since it's generation transition right now
    I very much agree with you, although I am more cynical regarding #4.

Steambox could be a huge success because it could be both PC and console. Dedicated consoles are quite redundant in my opinion. Of course the masses of consumers can disagree with that and keep thinking that dedicated console is the way to go.

Steambox might become to consoles what Betamax was to VHS. A superior platform with marginal userbase. I truly hope that does not happen.

Leave a comment:

• Larian
    replied
    Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    I always get the last word faggot.
    No you don't. And everybody here can read, you homophobe.

You lose again! LOL

Leave a comment:

• silverslimer
    replied
    As a console gamer who's only recently made the PC his only gaming system, I can only hope that GNU/Linux gains the interest of many developers and that we see the fruits of their labour on Steam. Right now, I have no choice but to use Windows not only because of the lack of decent games for the opposition but also because of the controversy surrounding NVIDIA's blob but I will be among the first to move back to free software the moment the games come in.

I also want to express how disappointed I am in Pallidus' behaviour. I can imagine many things that he might want to do with his adolescence other than bother free software lovers. Masturbation comes to mind.

Leave a comment:

• shadowriver
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    Speaking of Blizzard, where's that Linux port?

I don't see Bethesda or EA bothering at all. Bungie last time I checked were M$. In the top 50 game manufacturers none jump out at me other than Valve that seems to care. ID used to care (sorta) Atari may come on board but I just depressed myself.

I know I have personally petitioned NCsoft a few times, that alone would be a huge change but they don't seem interested in all, they're like "that's what Wine is for, dummy".

Edit: Will someone kick Runic games in the ass so we can TL2 (hopefully with faces).
    Bungie actully buy themselfs out of MS and gone multiplatfrom. They annouced Destiny and Activision will be publisher, it was one of games shown during PS4 annoucment and looking on there site code they plan to go to as much platfrorms as possible Bethesta can come in too, they quite multiplatform, besides they owned by ZeniMax same company that owns longest gaming Linux lover id Software (thru they betrayed Linux with Rage).

SteamBox needs few things to success:

1. Work like console, feel like a console, marketised as a console. If this gonna be just yet another branded PC it won't be anything special and people (Specially console users) won't acknowledge it as Wii U, PS4, Xbox720 (or whatever it will be called) compatition.
    2.User base, this is most impotent thing of them all, not just for console but any platform... Linux is one of victims of that. More user = more developer interest.
    3.Exlusives deals, show that you have better line up then all other consoles, this is what happens during start of generation.... it what happening now, for example Ninendo got exlusive Beyonetta 2, which was quite a hit on Xbox 360 and PS3. Thru i think without it might go to.
    4. Do E3 conference = instant win.... announce Half-life 3 on it early on SteamBox = meltdown, everyone pre-ordering

It's actually good time then ever to make a console since it's generation transition right now
    Last edited by shadowriver; 08 March 2013, 09:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    Originally posted by shadowriver View Post
    AAA title will comewith Steam Box if it's gonna succed, but i would not expect EA and Blizzard titles as there got there own networks
    Speaking of Blizzard, where's that Linux port?

I don't see Bethesda or EA bothering at all. Bungie last time I checked were M$. In the top 50 game manufacturers none jump out at me other than Valve that seems to care. ID used to care (sorta) Atari may come on board but I just depressed myself.

I know I have personally petitioned NCsoft a few times, that alone would be a huge change but they don't seem interested in all, they're like "that's what Wine is for, dummy".

Edit: Will someone kick Runic games in the ass so we can TL2 (hopefully with faces).
    Last edited by nightmarex; 08 March 2013, 07:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shadowriver
    replied
    Originally posted by peppercats View Post
    There's been no word on steambox games not working on desktop linux. I see no reasons why they wouldn't be, since all signs point to steambox being ubuntu based
    SteamBox does not need Ubuntu at all. Ubuntu is just a distro optimized to desktop or server use, it give nothing that is needed for Steam, as Steam it self is software distribution platform, it just need to be installed on system and it just works, Only thing they need is to teach it to deal with basic system settings (disk management, WiFi/Network configuration, same things that all consoles have).

Some people not realize this but SteamBox to be successful need to be a console at it's core, it means user must not be aware they using PC, in order to do so they need put him to big picture out of the box. If user see that this is just branded PC it will end up like yet another branded PC or HTPCs, which will fail. User could as well get own PC and connect to TV, there not much difference. So in order to SteamBox to have a reason be sold it needs to be different, it needs to be console at it's core and Ubuntu is compliantly unneeded for that.... it even stand on there way.

Leave a comment:

• shadowriver
    replied
    Originally posted by Drago View Post
    I really hope Valve can read these numbers, and read them well. For one month Linux reached ~2% without AAA titles (except Valve's own). No Crysis, no Dead Space, no CoD, no Diablo, not even RAGE.
    On top of that, with shitty Catalyst driver and sub-optimal FOSS drivers. Imagine what could happen with quality drivers and AAA titles.
    AAA title will comewith Steam Box if it's gonna succed, but i would not expect EA and Blizzard titles as there got there own networks

Leave a comment:

• vsteel
    replied
    do you realize how stupid it is for a company to waste resources to release a game on a platform that reprents 2% of steam users?

let me put it this way: EVEN if that game gets released for steam box os

there is no way in hell they would bother to porting it (even if it was a 3 lines of code) to desktop linux
    That is the mistake you are making. It has nothing to do with the share of users, it has 100% to do with revenue. It doesn't matter if there is just one user named Bob in the Linux camp, if every game that comes out he makes up 20% of their revenue, they will do the port for Bob.

Why do you think that Linux users are not a huge share of users but they make up a nice chunk of revenue? I think it has to do with my previous stated fact that Linux users are engaged and active users. Sure there are fewer game choices and less places to get their games, but I would bet that almost all of the Linux users have either a console or a windows machine to play games if they want. They are active in the Linux camp because they want to be, not because they can't get games any other way.

Bottom line it doesn't matter how many users a platform has, if the money is there the developers will follow.

Leave a comment:

• peppercats
    replied

there is no way in hell they would bother to porting it (even if it was a 3 lines of code) to desktop linux
    There's been no word on steambox games not working on desktop linux. I see no reasons why they wouldn't be, since all signs point to steambox being ubuntu based

Leave a comment:

• Pallidus
    replied
    Originally posted by Larian View Post
    Personally, I'd be all giggly if I could get a big cock up my ass sometime soon.

I always get the last word faggot. Now do as your daddy did and come gag on this nasty dick

but let me be a gentleman and tell you that if black ops 2 gets released for linux (desktop) in 2013 I will personally buy and send you a copy.

do you realize how stupid it is for a company to waste resources to release a game on a platform that reprents 2% of steam users?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X