X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ltcommander.data
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    I don't get your point. Most (if not all) of such games are steam based, so it does't matter where they were bought. I'm glad to see Linux is killing another crapware.
    I'm thinking of some AAA games like Borderlands 2, Civilization V, etc. I'm not sure if Apple actually has a policy against Steam integration on the Mac App Store or if developer choices, like some assumption that if you are using the Mac App Store you'd also prefer Game Center integration, results in Steam getting removed, but there are games bought on the App Store can only be played in multiplayer against other App Store players and not with a Steam bought version and the licenses are not cross-transferrable so Steam would never see them. Feral, one of the major Mac porting houses, doesn't offer their games on Steam at all since they don't want to be part of SteamPlay. They're responsible for many of the major AAA games coming to Mac like XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Napolean: Total War, F1 2012, Batman: Arkham City, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a bunch of LEGO games, etc. so they would draw a lot of eyeball time away from Steam. I guess they believe a large part of their potential customers already own the Windows version of the game so it wouldn't be sustainable to do the porting and then give them all the Mac version for free. These more difficult conditions for Steam on Mac may be one reason why Valve is focusing on Linux in their efforts to open up an alternative revenue stream to Windows.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    Arch 64 is probably under Linux 64 in survey?

Steam system information.
    ===================
    Operating System Version:
    Linux (64 bit)
    Kernel Name: Linux
    Kernel Version: 3.7.4-1-ARCH

At least that's what I would of guessed based on how steam sees it.

Wow, yeah that's what I felt like saying, right on.

My Arch Linux says it's Arch Linux, even with custom Kernel.

Operating System Version:
    "Arch Linux" (64 bit)
    Kernel Name: Linux
    Kernel Version: 3.7.10-1-ck
    X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
    X Server Release: 11302901
    X Window Manager: KWin
    Steam Runtime Version: steam-runtime-release-i386_2013-02-22

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by ltcommander.data View Post
    Mac may only be 3% of Steam users and Linux is rapidly catching up, but it needs to be determined how well that reflects the size of the overall gaming market on each platform. For example, I'd expect the Mac App Store is a significant source of games on that platform, possibly even larger than Steam.
    I don't get your point. Most (if not all) of such games are steam based, so it does't matter where they were bought. I'm glad to see Linux is killing another crapware.

Leave a comment:

• ltcommander.data
    replied
    It would be interesting and important to also get numbers on what percentage of gamers on each platform get their games from Steam or associate their games with Steam. Mac may only be 3% of Steam users and Linux is rapidly catching up, but it needs to be determined how well that reflects the size of the overall gaming market on each platform. For example, I'd expect the Mac App Store is a significant source of games on that platform, possibly even larger than Steam.

Leave a comment:

• Krysto
    replied
    I've seen a chart from a game developer where the Linux steam sales were 3x larger than the Mac steam sales, even though the Mac market is significantly larger right now.

At least for indies, it's definitely worth it to support Linux right now, because Linux users are much more likely to try it out than Windows or Mac users, who also have a lot more choices in games.

Leave a comment:

• aironeous
    replied
    What? You wanna compare linux users to other OS users once the gaming playing field gets evened out?
    Oh it's on like sauron!

Leave a comment:

• scionicspectre
    replied
    Even if we just polished off the remaining Valve titles, I'd be using Steam a lot more. Not to mention all the Unreal Engine games that could potentially make their Linux debut. I really hope this catches on, and promotes some cross-platform ports where perhaps OS X hasn't been that encouraging. In fact, if I do recall correctly there were one or two games that didn't even have a Mac port yet, but did have a Linux version. If things keep accelerating like they are, this might become more common. These are beginning days, so I'm fairly optimistic.

Leave a comment:

• Boland
    replied
    Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    The Linux Steam users will soon bypass the OS X users.

Code:
    Title                       Feb     Jan     Dec

Windows 8 (all)              9.63%   8.76%   6.93%
    Windows 7 (all)             69.67%  69.73%  70.47%
    Windows Vista (all)          5.84%   6.02%   6.96%
    Windows XP (all)             9.33%  10.05%  10.44%
    OS X (all)                   3.07%   3.56%   3.72%
    Ubuntu (all)                 1.71%   1.12%   0.80%
    Ubuntu + Other                       1.88%   1.51%
    Linux                        2.02%   1.12%   0.80%
    Linux + Other                2.84%   1.88%   1.51%

Rounding errors              0.04%   0.03%

Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit          0.71%   0.43%   0.29%
    Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS 64 bit    0.31%
    Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS           0.20%
    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit    0.11%   0.33%   0.26%
    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS                   0.17%   0.13%
    Ubuntu 12.10                 0.38%   0.19%   0.12%
    Linux Mint 14 Nadia 64 bit   0.17%
    Linux 64 bit                 0.14%
    Other                        0.82%   0.76%   0.71%
    Disclaimer: There might be errors.
    A minor amount of "other" might be OS X users
    Maybe.. But remember how many people were using steam on OSX when it first launched?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/..._mac_os_x.html

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by leif81 View Post
    The other interesting thing is activity change during a day -- assuming gamers are most active in the late evening that suggests Europe & Asia have the most users. Or there's a lot of people in North & South America playing games at work
    Last edited by bridgman; 03-02-2013, 12:29 AM. Reason: Decided to spell "America" without an 'l' this time

Leave a comment:

• nightmarex
    replied
    Originally posted by leif81 View Post
    2% of 5 million (peak) users in a day is 100,000. Not too shabby for a debut.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
    Well it's a start... Can't imagine what usage would be like if we had a slew of AAA titles =)...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X