Linux Gamers Make Up ~2% Of Valve's Steam Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by who_me View Post
    Actually, Linux is standing at 2.84% if we include "Other" which I suspect is Steam counting wine usage and/or some other linux distros.
    If "Other" is Wine usage, then Mac OS X, Solaris and FreeBSD probably also fall into that category.

Comment

April's statistics are out now, it looks as though the linux market share has dropped again.

Comment

Most people probably noticed how crappy the selection of games for GNU/Linux is at the moment. They'll migrate to the operating system once the library improves, I'm sure of it. However, we're also dealing with the fact that when it comes to gaming on G/L, people are introduced to the confusion that is getting the game to work right:

1) Proprietary or free drivers?
        2) Why is the game not working / How do I install the 32-bit libraries? Why weren't they installed in the first place?
        3) Ubuntu sucks, can I use anything better?

For most people, it's best to just stay in Windows if games are a priority.

Comment

i wonder how they actually figure which os to count for dual booters like myself... i default to linux unless i am playing bfbc2 or red orchestra 2 ( which i hope a linux port will be released for soon).... all my games like tf2, dods, beat hazard, oil rush, etc that have native linux versions i have installed on my mint linux 14 box and uninstalled the windows version. for the past year or so i have only purchased games with the intention of playing them on linux. i hope i am being counted as a linux user. over half my game time is in linux now due to valve. i have had an off/on relationship with linux for 15 yrs and valve/steam has turned it into an everyday relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by acm2117 View Post
            i wonder how they actually figure which os to count for dual booters like myself... i default to linux unless i am playing bfbc2 or red orchestra 2 ( which i hope a linux port will be released for soon).... all my games like tf2, dods, beat hazard, oil rush, etc that have native linux versions i have installed on my mint linux 14 box and uninstalled the windows version. for the past year or so i have only purchased games with the intention of playing them on linux. i hope i am being counted as a linux user. over half my game time is in linux now due to valve. i have had an off/on relationship with linux for 15 yrs and valve/steam has turned it into an everyday relationship.
            From what I recall, what platform stats you're submitting depends on what platform you're running Steam on when the survey snapshot is taken. I think the survey snapshot is taken once a month right after Steam is fully loaded and your sign-in has been authenticated. I also seem to recall there being a yes/no dialog box for submitting the results.

Take what I write with a grain of salt, as I'm not a gamer, and haven't had a Steam install on one of my boxes in several years now, so even if my memory is correct, I could still be wrong just because things could have changed since then. But based on my recollections, I would imagine that if you only run Steam under Linux and never under Windows, there's no risk of you accidentally submitting stats under a Windows install instead of a Linux one.

Is there anyone here who is actually knowledgeable about how the Steam survey is conducted, and whether there are any special caveats regarding Linux (such as opt-in or opt-out options, etc.)?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
              It would be devastating for the future of Linux without a similar UI, that's what worries me. For Linux to have any future, the users of these OS's which support is ending, need to jump in our (Linux) lake and let their feet get wet.
              Why would that be devasting for Linux? I don't think that you understand the mentality behind most, if not all, serious Linux users. Why should we care about other Operating Systems?
              Last edited by whyusewindows; 18 January 2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whyusewindows View Post
                Why would that be devasting for Linux? I don't think that you understand the mentality behind most, if not all, serious Linux users. Why should we care about other Operating Systems?
                "Serious linux users" aren't using it on the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  "Serious linux users" aren't using it on the desktop.
                  Yes, we are.

Comment

Originally posted by tuubi View Post
                    Yes, we are.
                    No, hobbyists use it on the desktop. "Serious linux users" use it on servers and clusters.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                      No, hobbyists use it on the desktop. "Serious linux users" use it on servers and clusters.
                      Riiiight. So our small business does absolutely everything on free and open source Linux software, manages to keep us fed, but is just a hobby. I can buy that, even though it certainly feels serious. We're small enough to be insignificant, maybe that makes us hobbyists.

I'm not sure if various government agencies and big businesses around the world running enterprise Linux desktops from companies like Red Hat and SUSE would agree though. They're a small slice of the pie, but that doesn't make them any less serious. Feel free to disagree if that makes you happy.
                      Last edited by tuubi; 20 January 2014, 05:23 PM. Reason: fixed a mistake

Comment

Working...
                      X