No announcement yet.

Wayland Works For Nintendo Gamecube Emulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not related to this article, but how does Wayland handle multiple screens in "clone mode" with different subpixel geometries?

If the client is responsible for antialising and subpixel rendering or some kind of transfor, if you have different kind of monitors connected to your graphics card or some kind of transformation on one of them, the image will be fucked up for one of them.

Rendering performed by clients should be abstracted from output devices (the way postscript is for printers) and actual rendering should happen on the server.

There's a reason X11 is complex, and I'm growing less convinced that Wayland is a good solution for Linux graphics.
    Last edited by newwen; 18 February 2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
      Not related to this article, but how does Wayland handle multiple screens in "clone mode" with different subpixel geometries?

If the client is responsible for antialising and subpixel rendering or some kind of transfor, if you have different kind of monitors connected to your graphics card or some kind of transformation on one of them, the image will be fucked up for one of them.

Rendering performed by clients should be abstracted from output devices (the way postscript is for printers) and actual rendering should happen on the server.

There's a reason X11 is complex, and I'm growing less convinced that Wayland is a good solution for Linux graphics.
      There is no clone mode at the moment and I hope they handle it differently than x11. I just like to have a window with the same resolution of the external output on the first output. This would be much saner.

Comment

Originally posted by giselher View Post
        There is no clone mode at the moment and I hope they handle it differently than x11. I just like to have a window with the same resolution of the external output on the first output. This would be much saner.
        So rame image but not nesseserely the same resolution (black border)?
        This sounds a bit like how KDE is planning to do it. You should be able to get it with Xorg to if you just specify the position of the screens to be on the same x,y

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
          So rame image but not nesseserely the same resolution (black border)?
          This sounds a bit like how KDE is planning to do it. You should be able to get it with Xorg to if you just specify the position of the screens to be on the same x,y
          I was actually thinking about different images/workspaces on the different outputs just with a window where we can see the other output. Also this window should be special, so that we can drag&drop other windows into it and move the windows in the window of the other output (this should be possible because there is input redirection in wayland/weston which was impossible for x11). I hope you get what I mean.

Comment

Working...
          X