Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dagon Adventure Game Engine Open-Sourced

Phoronix: Dagon Adventure Game Engine Open-Sourced

The Dagon Game Engine that powers the first person adventure "Asylum" horror game has been open-sourced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

could at least link to the kickstarter, they still not funded

Comment

Hey, I'm not upset, and I sent the tip in

The point of my article submission was to highlight the game engine! Of course, raising the profile of the project is a good thing, and can lead to additional funding of the Kickstarter, but I think Michael is being cautious with these (as is the gaming press at large).

In fact, the only games publication striving to sort between Kickstarters, with any seriousness, is Rock, Paper, Shotgun. So, I feel it's important to support RPS, as well.

At any rate, Asylum, being a Steam game on Linux, will help raise the profile of the Dagon engine for Linux games. Let's hope to see a nice run of gorgeous, atmospheric, first-person games for Linux, based on it!

The Kickstarter for the Asylum game has (at this point) reached $80K out of $100K, and got some great press on IGN today (or late yesterday, I forgot). Certainly the best way for us to help further that vision of multiple amazing Dagon-based games is to contribute on the Asylum Kickstarter within the final 12 days.

I have done so

Come join me in the Asylum, people!

Comment

The Asylum Teaser looks very great. It runs on 1080p on my GTX660M on Ubuntu.

And there's already another Game being built on Dagon, http://www.senscape.net/adamantus/ .

Comment

It's released under an unusual, GPL incompatible license.

Senscape permits you to use, modify, and distribute these files in accordance with the terms of the Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL) agreement. A copy of the License can be found in the Documents folder.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
            The CDDL is not unusual, it is a well-known license by Sun. But Dagon links against OpenAL, which is licensed under the LGPL, and according to gnu.org CDDL is also incompatible with the LGPL. Wouldn't that mean that Dagon cannot be linked against OpenAL?

Comment

Hey all! Glad you're enjoying the engine/teaser. Just a quick comment: CDDL is incompatible with GPL, yes, but not LGPL, the license of OpenAL.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                The CDDL isn't uncommon at all, in fact many projects such as ZFS and OpenIndiana (OpenSolaris reboot) also use this license.
                Also, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, the CDDL allows static and dynamic linking to a library while the LGPL only allows dynamic linking unless specifically stated.

Comment

I know the CDDL, I mean it's unusual for a game engine, since most free ones are GPL or at least GPL compatible. Often such licenses are used to declare a software open source but somewhat restricts code interoperability with other projects. As already suggested ZFS is under CDDL which make it incompatible with others OSes (BSDs and Linux) possibly in the hope they could gain some free work but that it cannot be used to improve other projects.

Comment

Would you folks feel more comfortable if we used MPL 2.0? I don't want a strong copyleft license like GPL but at the same time nothing as permissive as BSD. I want to encourage open contributions but give permission to devs to link against closed source libraries, or even their own code.

CDDL seemed like a sweet spot in between the GPL and BSD extremes. MPL 2.0 seems to share the same spirit, but looks simpler.

Comment

Working...
                    X