X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would also like to see MPL 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by AgustinCordes View Post
      Would you folks feel more comfortable if we used MPL 2.0? I don't want a strong copyleft license like GPL but at the same time nothing as permissive as BSD. I want to encourage open contributions but give permission to devs to link against closed source libraries, or even their own code.

CDDL seemed like a sweet spot in between the GPL and BSD extremes. MPL 2.0 seems to share the same spirit, but looks simpler.
      MPL or Apache please. CDDL is a bad license. Although I personally see no reason not to go full GPL.

Comment

The only reason the CDDL exists is because Sun wanted a license that would prevent Solaris kernel code (ZFS etc) being used in the Linux kernel.
        I also think the MPL or Apache license seem to be better choices if you don't want to go LGPL/GPL.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
          This is not correct. It is allowed if you provide linkable object files.
          Well of course you can link it is allowed to link it, but you are not allowed to redistribute it.
          Most people don't know how to link object files and it is very impractical.

It is not allowed to redistribute incompatible licensed binary statically linked to LGPL binary.

Comment

Originally posted by jonwil View Post
            The only reason the CDDL exists is because Sun wanted a license that would prevent Solaris kernel code (ZFS etc) being used in the Linux kernel.
            I also think the MPL or Apache license seem to be better choices if you don't want to go LGPL/GPL.
            But you know that MPL isn't compatible with LGPL/GPL and Apache license isn't copyleft at all?

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
              Well of course you can link it is allowed to link it, but you are not allowed to redistribute it.
              Most people don't know how to link object files and it is very impractical.

It is not allowed to redistribute incompatible licensed binary statically linked to LGPL binary.
              Please read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Le...s_from_the_GPL

But you know that MPL isn't compatible with LGPL/GPL and Apache license isn't copyleft at all?
              Read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozill...other_licenses

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                Hm. Not sure why FLTK uses LGPLv2 with static linking exception.
                Of course, it is allowed to redistribute source code and object files, because they are not linked at all.

Correction: MPL 2.0 is compatible, but older aren't.

Comment

If you want to go copyleft, go full copyleft and use the GPL. Using half-way between licenses is like saying "I want copyleft, but if you REALLY want to ignore I guess you can in some cases."

Comment

Originally posted by admax88 View Post
                    If you want to go copyleft, go full copyleft and use the GPL. Using half-way between licenses is like saying "I want copyleft, but if you REALLY want to ignore I guess you can in some cases."
                    I agree. You have to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by jaggers View Post
                      So, the consensus here is that everyone agrees that MPL 2.0 is either completely equivalent or better than CDDL. Feared thinks it's not worth the trouble (but is not in any way opposed), and everyone else would like to see MPL 2.0?
                      You're right I don't think it's worth the trouble. I wouldn't mind the code being licensed under MPL 2.0 but If we're talking about licenses worth switching to then I would prefer the FreeBSD or Apache license. Switching from CDDL to MPL to me seems like a good waste of time and effort for little real gain imo.

Comment

Working...
                      X