Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Loki Games Repository Emerges

Phoronix: New Loki Games Repository Emerges

The folks over at Tux Games have opened up a repository containing a collection of old software titles ported by Loki Games. This repository contains game updates as well as demos for some of their games ported during their short lifespan.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've looked all over for Tribes 2... now at least I'll have the demo. The crappy thing about it is that I bought Tribes 2 on Windows. I wonder if Tribes 2 still has a community? SHAZBOT!

EDIT: Anyone try to run the Tribes2 demo? I get the following error:
    Code:
    joshua@desktop:~/downloads/games/tribes2$ ./tribes2-preview.run 
    Verifying archive integrity...tail: Warning: "+number" syntax is deprecated, please use "-n +number"
    OK
    Uncompressing Tribes 2 Previewtail: Warning: "+number" syntax is deprecated, please use "-n +number"
    ./update.sh: 60: loki_patch: not found
    The program returned an error code (1)
    ANOTHER EDIT: I think my problem is that I need the Loki Installer application, and I think I found it but:
    Code:
    joshua@desktop:~/downloads/games/tribes2$ sh ./loki-demos-1.0d.run 
    Verifying archive integrity...tail: Warning: "+number" syntax is deprecated, please use "-n +number"
    OK
    Uncompressing Loki Demos 1.0dtail: Warning: "+number" syntax is deprecated, please use "-n +number"
    .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Loki Update Tool not found, running installation program
    This installation doesn't support glibc-2.0 on Linux / x86_64

Please contact Loki Technical Support at [email protected]
    Continuing with install ...
    Loki Uninstall Tool not found, running installation program

Continuing with install ...

The program returned an error code (1)
    Guess I'll get in touch with Loki support on this one... oh wait . I hope one day Loki comes back. I promise to buy any game you sell if you start up again. I know there are some people around here who has connections to the original Loki people... put a good word in me ok?
    Last edited by joshuapurcell; 26 September 2007, 01:38 AM.

Comment

wow, an installer for descent3 mercenary using windows cds. i've never seen it available on download on loki site. strange...

time to dig my room for those d3 windows cds :]

I've looked all over for Tribes 2... now at least I'll have the demo. The crappy thing about it is that I bought Tribes 2 on Windows. I wonder if Tribes 2 still has a community?
      gentoo has loads of ebuilds for loki games. even a hacked unreal tournament that runs unreal 1. (haven't seen deus ex ebuild, though :/)

Comment

Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
        Guess I'll get in touch with Loki support on this one... oh wait . I hope one day Loki comes back. I promise to buy any game you sell if you start up again. I know there are some people around here who has connections to the original Loki people... put a good word in me ok?
        Heh... Loki won't come back in it's current form- ever. Scott Draeker saw to that.

Having said this, LGP rose from some of the ashes and is still around, and hopefully about to really get moving in the next 6-12 months if things go right.

As for the installer app, I suggest snagging the source code for the installer app from off of icculus.org (Under Loki Setup Tools...) or to give the LGP installer a whirl and see if it'll play nicely with the Loki installation apps... Michael wouldn't have put this stuff up for download if it wasn't able to be used in some fashion after some futzing with it.

I'll pull some of it down over the next couple of days and see if there's any way to kick-start most of this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
          wow, an installer for descent3 mercenary using windows cds. i've never seen it available on download on loki site. strange...
          Heh... I think Michael had some hand in that one ending up in the mix on the site...

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            gentoo has loads of ebuilds for loki games. even a hacked unreal tournament that runs unreal 1. (haven't seen deus ex ebuild, though :/)
            To the best of my knowledge, they never concluded the Deus Ex port, most of it was in place when Loki went down, and even though I don't know the specifics, they were very close to finishing the port of Deus Ex (dayum, that is about the only game aside from UT and U1, that I really looked forward buying from Loki ), I wonder if they still got files and I wonder if either Eidos or Ion Storm (or who ever owns now IS) would allow DE1 at last see the light in Linux (I highly doubt it, though)

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
              To the best of my knowledge, they never concluded the Deus Ex port, most of it was in place when Loki went down, and even though I don't know the specifics, they were very close to finishing the port of Deus Ex (dayum, that is about the only game aside from UT and U1, that I really looked forward buying from Loki ), I wonder if they still got files and I wonder if either Eidos or Ion Storm (or who ever owns now IS) would allow DE1 at last see the light in Linux (I highly doubt it, though)
              It is my understanding from conversations online in IRC with Mike Phillips that the source code WAS given back to their respective studios- with that being the case, ION Storm Austin would be where Deus Ex went back to. There might be a couple of copies of the source floating about in the hands of the development team that was working on it, but I doubt that they would be able to release it if they DID have the code.

As to whether or not Eidos would let it go out for Linux, your guess would probably be as good as mine- and would be identical (I highly doubt it too...).

Comment

Yes, they did a terrific job at some game ports. I know that the SoF and FAKK2 ports were really good... maybe Loki arrived too soon? Hardware support in Linux at that time wasn't still very mature, and even though there were many installations with 3D enabled, 3D acceleration was still in its infancy in Linux (back in 1998). They were visionary, though, and who knows, maybe they contributed to spark the Linux gaming flame, that now seems to roar for attention and support from companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                  Yes, they did a terrific job at some game ports. I know that the SoF and FAKK2 ports were really good... maybe Loki arrived too soon? Hardware support in Linux at that time wasn't still very mature, and even though there were many installations with 3D enabled, 3D acceleration was still in its infancy in Linux (back in 1998). They were visionary, though, and who knows, maybe they contributed to spark the Linux gaming flame, that now seems to roar for attention and support from companies.
                  Heh... The stories I could tell you...

I started out as one of their Vendor Support Contacts (i.e. Driver Developers) for Loki Games. I got access to pretty much every one of the 3D titles as I was one of the main people supporting Utah-GLX at the time. They wanted to make sure Rune, Fakk2, and others just worked fine with the 3D options of the day.

The truth of the matter is that Loki was little before their time- and, in my not so humble opinion, they were plagued with problems of the CEO not knowing a blasted thing about running a business.

Loki took on too many high-profile deals too soon, too quickly. The royalties to get the deals in the door bled them of cashflow to pay people and to operate with. There's a threshold that you have to hit before you can do ANY AAA titles without the studios cutting you a break- they usually want money that'd be commensurate with being able to sell about 5-10k units to break even with payroll, replication, etc. Loki went out of the gate with a BUNCH of AAA titles in hand with only a market prospect of being able to sell 2-5k units per batch at best.

Draeker did (in my not so humble opinion...) brain-dead things like ordering a 50k unit order of the replication of the Q3:A discs, and then followed that bone-headed thing up with delaying the release of the Official Linux Version by three additional weeks over insisting upon packaging each and every one of these units in a special edition tin whose order was held up in Customs for that time. This made for an abyssmal sales figure due to Id's policy of making the binaries available to "patch" from one OS to another- everyone bought the Windows version because they didn't want to wait, which caused a situation where Loki owed over a quarter million in royalties (Of which part are almost always owed to the publisher or studio at the time that you replicate, and another part that's owed when you actually sell the title...) with no ability to pay Id back.

Loki will be missed. But it was a whole raftload of factors that brought them down.
                  Last edited by Svartalf; 26 September 2007, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Ouch! The problem is the lack of continuity. Loki left so many projects "in the air" and even now there'd be a market for those in Linux... *sigh*, at any rate, I hope LGP fairs much better than Loki did, I know I've gotten a few games off them, plus other companies such as frictional (with their amazingly good Penumbra title... Ok, I like those kinds of games :P)... I know you've got quite a bit of inside information and that you've got your hands tied and can't talk about much of it (alas you've hinted to some great stuff!), I certainly wouldn't want to get you into trouble, but MAN! I hope the companies and parties involved in whatever it is that's cooking would come out soon and break the news!

Comment

Working...
                    X