Egosoft Gets To Releasing Their Games On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carbs View Post
    So how do you get access to the beta? Is it just a case of already owning a copy on Steam?
    Found the answer to my own question in the Community hub on Steam...

The Linux version of X3: Reunion has just entered public beta testing and is available to anyone owning the game.
    For technical support and news please visit: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=332472

Comment

Dammit !. Have the LGP port not the win version.

Shame as x3 don't like ATI/AMD cards.

Not tried 13.x drivers.

Pete.

Comment

Yeah I have the LGP version as well and now I own the Steam version, once I bought the Windows version on Steam the Linux version showed up too... So I'm just installing it now.

Comment

Bought the Steam version and been running on my Arch64 system with an NVIDIA GTX460. Seems to be running great. The opening in-game cinematic was a bit jerky between transitions but I think they may have already fixed or at least improved that.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Can you get the installer for the game and install it without connecting to Steam? And then run it without running Steam client? If so - then indeed it doesn't enforce DRM. But I was under the impression that above is impossible. For example Desura offers their client as a convenient way to get updates, but you can always get the standalone installer if you need to.
            Developers can choose if they want to use the Steamworks DRM. If they don't, the game can be copied to a computer that doesn't even have Steam and will run fine. The in-house Paradox Interactive games like Europa Universalis, Victoria and Hearts of Iron are examples of this (the files are identical whether you get them from Steam or another retailer).

However, I think most games (at least ones from major developers) do opt-in to using the Steamworks DRM (I don't have statistics). You can still play them without internet access, but Steam has to be running and logged in (there's an offline mode).
            Last edited by strcat; 29 January 2013, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by strcat View Post
              However, I think most games (at least ones from major developers) do opt-in to using the Steamworks DRM (I don't have statistics). You can still play them without internet access, but Steam has to be running and logged in (there's an offline mode).
              Yeah, that's a no go for me and I wouldn't register there just for a minority of games which probably one needs to fish out from their list manually without knowing beforehand if they use DRM or not. I'd wait for X3 for Linux to be sold somewhere outside Steam.
              Last edited by shmerl; 29 January 2013, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Yeah, that's a no go for me and I wouldn't register there just for a minority of games which probably one needs to fish out from their list manually without knowing beforehand if they use DRM or not. I'd wait for X3 for Linux to be sold somewhere outside Steam.
                And you are not alone, especially as I am under the impression such things are not clearly labelled.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
                  Dammit !. Have the LGP port not the win version.
                  Shame as x3 don't like ATI/AMD cards.
                  I own an AMD Radeon HD 6870 card and the new X3R Linux beta works like a charm with current mesa drivers.

Comment

Gaah.
                    I've got X2/Linux and X3:R/Linux (LGP) and X3:TC running via wine.
                    All work just fine on Fedora 17/x86_64 (I manually replaced the SDL and OpenAL static libraries to the OS supplied ones in-order to get working 5.1 sound).

I may re-buy X3/Linux via Steam to support the developers.
                    Hopefully X3:TC and X3:AP will be next in Egosoft's port list.

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I didn't include any steam libraries with X3R, so it's clean unless valve modifies the binary when it's uploaded. I haven't tested how the downloaded version yields to copy and pasting, try asking here http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=332472 and if no one answers I'll check it.
                      TC and AP do include steam functionality so I'm not sure how it'll look there. Egosoft has a general policy of removing any copyprotection a year after release, though don't quote me on that I didn't get to look into TC and AP too much yet (hell I don't know most of R still, it's a non-trivial amount of code;p).

And yeah TC and AP are generally scheduled after R, so unless I get fired or some serious issues come up expect those after R is finished.

Comment

Working...
                      X