Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Pushes Out Half-Life For Linux

Phoronix: Valve Pushes Out Half-Life For Linux

Valve has originally ported their original Half-Life title to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So... it's happening...

Not that it's that important, the old GoldSrc games run pretty well under Wine. But native Linux games are always Good News... still waiting for L4D2, though.

Comment

Holy cow! How great is that?

Comment

Hopefully this means HL2 and Portal and coming soon.

Comment

Ok that came unexpected, I honestly expected to see their Source titles out first...

Edit: it's not listed in the Linux games and the Store page claims it's Windows-only... Where did you get this from Micheal?
          Last edited by r1348; 24 January 2013, 08:28 PM.

Comment

This is really cool news, I didn't think they would bother with their really old Windows only titles. Awesome to see Valve are commited to get their whole library onto Linux, even if it is only because of their Steambox plans. Now I wish I picked up the Half-Life games during the holiday sale.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
              Ok that came unexpected, I honestly expected to see their Source titles out first...

Edit: it's not listed in the Linux games and the Store page claims it's Windows-only... Where did you get this from Micheal?
              I bought it in Steam and tested on my Arch desktop, it works.

It's considered beta so I suppose that's why it's not listed in those areas. My short testing, it seemed to run fine.

Nice little surprise this morning!

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

Hmmm, I can't tell you where he got it from, but its on my games list and I just installed it. So its true. It shows up as "Half-life (Beta)".

Comment

I hope this means there will be the original Counter-Strike on linux, too.
                  Im still playing it sometimes.

Btw: I just testet it
                  when i changed the sound volume it snapped to 0 and i cant change it back
                  also i cant look up or down with the mouse
                  but still pretty awsome
                  Last edited by EvilTwin; 24 January 2013, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin View Post
                    I hope this means there will be the original Counter-Strike on linux, too.
                    Im still playing it sometimes.

Btw: I just testet it
                    when i changed the sound volume it snapped to 0 and i cant change it back
                    also i cant look up or down with the mouse
                    but still pretty awsome
                    counter-strike showed up in the linux cdr, about an hour ago too.

Comment

Working...
                    X