Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by entropy View Post
    Apparently, CS 1.6 is also available on Linux as of now:

Hm, I wonder what this is: http://i.imgur.com/BuLFz7E.jpg (Not wine, I promise I'm not that mean) So far I can't connect to any servers (assets don't match). Anyone want to host a server and I'll try to connect? Steam -> All Games -> Counter Strike -> Properties -> Beta -> SteamPipe Beta -> Install then: cd ~/Steam/SteamApp/common/Counter-Strike; LD_LIBRARY_PATH:"$LD_LIBRARY_PATH":.

Hadn't time to test it, though.
    I installed it just now. But steam complains the executable is missing. If I check the steam directory from the shell, I can see the executable there. So no problem, I just run it manually with: ./hl_linux -game cstrike

Seems to work fine like that so far.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
      My guess would be that they have different teams working on each of the different engines. A while back I heard they were waiting at least till the release of ubuntu 12.04.2 to do their proper Steam for Linux release. They will probably need some testing to make sure things work well with that release but after that we should hopefully finally be getting out of beta which is when I would imagine they will bombard us with a sizable chunk of the Valve library.
      Needless to say, I have all modern Valve games except for Counter-Stike but haven't actually got around to playing them except for Team Fortress 2. Now that Steam for Linux is on the horizon, I might as well wait a few more weeks before playing these Valve titles for the first time. Haven't played any of the older Valve titles either, however, and I don't own them to boot, so Valve will be seeing a few Linux sales from me. Good going, Valve. I am just worried that many genuine Linux users are buying games available only for Windows or even Windows and Mac OS, anticipating that they will be out for Linux at some point. Valve won't register those as Linux sales, though.

Comment

Who cares, valve will be able to see how many people are actually running games on Linux so it doesnt matter.
        Also to anyone commenting on csgo or source, who cares: we have 1.6 native now
        To the guy who moans its 15 years late: well it is still the number 1 online fps (look at steam stats: the 2 most popular fps are now linux native, I think thats pretty important....

Has anyone tried getting and old half life mods running? (CS 1.5, 1.3, TFC, DOD, etc?)

Comment

When steam updated I started getting the missing executable error. But the 'hl_linux' executable file doesn't exist anywhere in my steam folder? Just have to keep hitting check for steam client updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
            I have the big box GOTY edition. Can you only play it if you bought it digitally?
            On Windows, you can install the software and register it through Steam's title detection feature, but on Linux, there is no known way to do that at this time. If you have a Windows machine, you can do that and then it will carry over to your Linux box through Steam.

Comment

I remember I registered my half life and opposing force on 2 seperate accounts and ended up with 2 sets of goldsrc games!

Comment

I really hope we see the Source SDK (2007) ported so I can actually play BMS natively. It keeps crashing wine - despite my best efforts...

Personally I find the Gold Source engine a bit too dated and so held off playing HL1 till BMS was released...

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
                  I have the big box GOTY edition. Can you only play it if you bought it digitally?
                  I had the older, Jewel Case GOTY Edition and it works fine. I think you just enter your serial # or maybe I installed it 1st and then Steam found it. In any case it is converted into a Digital Edition. I have Gunman Chronicles also, since this is built on the same engine; do you guys think it will work?.

Comment

Originally posted by kickback999 View Post
                    Who cares, valve will be able to see how many people are actually running games on Linux so it doesnt matter.
                    Also to anyone commenting on csgo or source, who cares: we have 1.6 native now
                    To the guy who moans its 15 years late: well it is still the number 1 online fps (look at steam stats: the 2 most popular fps are now linux native, I think thats pretty important....

Has anyone tried getting and old half life mods running? (CS 1.5, 1.3, TFC, DOD, etc?)
                    Don't they collect data from a small sample of Steam users via the Steam Hardware Survey?

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                      Don't they collect data from a small sample of Steam users via the Steam Hardware Survey?
                      Only on Windows and Mac. Linux has no hardware survey functionality enabled in the Steam program at this time.

Comment

Working...
                      X