Valve Confirms Linux Steam Box Will Be Open Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IanS View Post
    To the best of my knowledge there is still no proof that Valve plan to use Xi3 for their own steam box, it is far more likely Xi3 are one of the many partners that Vavle are talking with to make Steam compatible devices.
    Exactly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent553
      I seriously hope they select a low-latency kernel to go along with it, which would also help for a smoother framerate.

It actually hurts framerate. It helps in sound latency (but -- on good CPUs, the sound latency is unnoticeable already) though.

Comment

It was great news that the 'official' Steambox atleast will not be locked down, meaning if the hardware is decent it could find more uses than just to play Steam games.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          It actually hurts framerate. It helps in sound latency (but -- on good CPUs, the sound latency is unnoticeable already) though.
          Frame rates aren't the issue. Consistency is the point. Games that have very stable frame rates would be a nice win. The question is how much a low latency kernel would help (being games are dependent on more than just the CPU).
          Low frame jitter could be a really nice feature to differentiate upon.

Comment

Possible Steam Box controller design

Thought I would take a look to see what sort of stuff Valve Corporation hold patents for in hopes of finding out if they have registered a design for their Steam Box yet and came across this patent they hold for a controller design.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              Steam being proprietary is actually a good thing. Yes, its coming from me
              The reason is online gaming and hence cheating. If you ever played any online game free or not and seen them, you will understand.
              Its hard to track and ban them, it costs time and money. If the whole game and communications are protected by warden/VAC, it is a good thing!
              Again, because you can redeem the game outside of Steam, you can play offline or host own server with own responsibility in completely open manner.
              But online,.. no,.. its much better to have no cheaters and closed game than even one of them and open game.

The single alternative to this is requirement to pay and register yourself with own personal credentials, so.. if one is caught cheating he is also damaged financially.
              But spotting them manually is still time consuming. Its a difficult topic,.. similar to bank authorization,... some things are still better to be closed and obfuscated. Good thing is that they are very rare.
              No. This is the same boring old "proprietary software is more secure" argument that is completely void. Notice how many proprietary systems get hacked, how many DRM schemes circumvented, how many anti-cheats are walked around. All while having no source released anywhere. At the same time, look at Linux servers - they are vulnerable, too, but due to the open-source nature of them, their security flaws are much more likely to be noticed by people without malicious intent and fixed properly and promptly. And especially this goes for longevity - your proprietary anti-cheat can be difficult to hack, but it will get hacked eventually. Once that happens, it becomes completely pointless, because more often than not the people who have access to the source of the code are not interested in updating it any more. With open-source code, everyone can patch the security holes on their own.

Originally posted by Larian View Post
              No, I did not. In fact, I didn't call anybody anything nor brand anyone with a term of opprobrium. However I can see where it might look as if I did. Mentioning that some people "sound like dictators without a sufficiently large fan club" is not calling them a dictator. It's saying they are making statements seemingly designed to impose their will on the majority. Nor is saying that such people are "often referred to as 'wackos and nutjobs'" isn't calling them crazy - it's saying that other people might.
              Hah This argument between you and Hamish Wilson is quite humorous! I envision the two of you as 19-th century Englishmen wearing monocles and top hats and having canes, while discussing the current philosophical state of the world as well as the current and historical state of politics in the land. I had a really good laugh out of this image

Originally posted by Larian View Post
              Now let us be done with the "T" word and its derivatives.
              Indeed, the discussion might have gone too abstract; going back to the bare-metal of the situation may prove to be a good idea.
              Also, Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                No. This is the same boring old "proprietary software is more secure" argument that is completely void. Notice how many proprietary systems get hacked, how many DRM schemes circumvented, how many anti-cheats are walked around. All while having no source released anywhere. At the same time, look at Linux servers - they are vulnerable, too, but due to the open-source nature of them, their security flaws are much more likely to be noticed by people without malicious intent and fixed properly and promptly. And especially this goes for longevity - your proprietary anti-cheat can be difficult to hack, but it will get hacked eventually. Once that happens, it becomes completely pointless, because more often than not the people who have access to the source of the code are not interested in updating it any more. With open-source code, everyone can patch the security holes on their own.
                No, you don't get idea. You need to have actually fought cheaters to understand this.
                The idea is not to close the software down. The idea is to have automated sentinel and client application encrypted when it comes to public online gaming.

The other variant is to make everyone give their personal credentials, so if they got caught by demoing and public decision, they get some high damage. Otherwise they change IP/GUID/Whatever and reconnect. The encrypted client+warden can gather enough information to identify them 1:1, detect changes in game variables and deliver auto-ban.

It is like doing bank over HTTPS vs HTTP. It is not about security by obscurity. The payload can be opensource(and anyone can do HTTP if he explicitly wants it by own risk/responsibility), only the protective wrapper is encrypted.

Comment

Hah This argument between you and Hamish Wilson is quite humorous! I envision the two of you as 19-th century Englishmen wearing monocles and top hats and having canes, while discussing the current philosophical state of the world as well as the current and historical state of politics in the land. I had a really good laugh out of this image
                  Hey, I can dig it.

Also, Tyrannosaurus Rex.
                  Also, Typhus.

Comment

No, you don't get idea. You need to have actually fought cheaters to understand this.
                    The idea is not to close the software down. The idea is to have automated sentinel and client application encrypted when it comes to public online gaming.

The other variant is to make everyone give their personal credentials, so if they got caught by demoing and public decision, they get some high damage. Otherwise they change IP/GUID/Whatever and reconnect. The encrypted client+warden can gather enough information to identify them 1:1, detect changes in game variables and deliver auto-ban.

It is like doing bank over HTTPS vs HTTP. It is not about security by obscurity. The payload can be opensource(and anyone can do HTTP if he explicitly wants it by own risk/responsibility), only the protective wrapper is encrypted.
                    Yea, I don't get the idea. In the original post you said that it's good that Steam is proprietary. I still don't see how that is any good.

Most games require you to log in using your account credentials/CD key. If you get caught cheating, you get banned. And you can no longer cheat, because you can't play online any more. So your point is what, exactly?

Comment

I play FOSS games, I hardly see any cheaters in them. AssaultCube has a pretty good anticheat, and some Sauerbraten server mods have decent anticheats too.

This is impossible and bad for privacy.

Comment

Working...
                      X